Could Rush Have Done Any More For Their Fans? (Spoiler Forum)

Lorraine

I was watching Rio and it struck me how much they have done for their fans. They've given as much as they could without giving away massive chunks of themselves which would have interfered greatly with their personal lives.

It seems to me that they have personalized it as much as they possibly could to make their fans feel appreciated and to show their gratitude toward and for you.

Wondering what anyone else thinks about this. Do you think they could have done more for you? Do you think they've done too much?

I put this in the spoiler forum in case anyone wants to highlight something specific from an R40 show (or shows) they've attended.

• Like 7

No, 40+ years, I don't care what they do now.

When Neil's wife and daughter died, everyone thought it was the end for Rush, and i bet they didn't mind also, it was still a good run.

He came back for the fans and still kicking ass. They have done way too much for us and I'm grateful for that.

Even with all the pain Alex and Neil have, they still do it for the fans

Edited by MagicSpree101
  • Like 7

Things like the apology hats they gave out after having to reschedule the Chicago show a few years ago.... really shows the thoughtfulness they have... either directly, or making sure they have the right people around them that will do things like this. Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 3

Things like the apology hats they gave out after having to reschedule the Chicago show a few years ago.... really shows the thoughtfulness they have... either directly, or making sure they have the right people around them that will do things like this.

It's things like that that do it. Doesn't matter whose idea it was, it cost money to do it. Their money.

• Like 2

No, 40+ years, I don't care what they do now.

When Neil's wife and daughter died, everyone thought it was the end for Rush, and i bet they didn't mind also, it was still a good run.

He came back for the fans and still kicking ass. They have done way too much for us and I'm grateful for that.

Even with all the pain Alex and Neil have, they still do it for the fans

I'm very hard on Neil, but the man has a heart. It's just very guarded and protected.

• Like 3

Nope 40 plus years of music. Lord knows how many shows. DVD'S. And they capped it off with one of their best tours. so the boys have more then earned a nice retirement.

and i say thank you. I wasn't alive for most of it . but i'm still able to feel the impact.

Mick

• Like 2

Sometimes I think not enough considering a lot of the bitching I see here.

Yeah, I know. Why the hell couldn't they bring back AFTK and FBN for at least one of the recent tours? Those selfish bastards.

The real answer is no they couldn't have done more than they have. I think they've gone beyond what the job requires of them with their touring. How many bands can you name who have done the evening with format and have been doing it for almost 20 years straight? Maybe someone else has an answer because I sure don't. They've gone beyond the call of duty for us for many years now and it's one of the very many things that makes them the greatest band of all time.

• Like 6

Might seem strange nowadays, but it's all been FAIR PLAY.

What do you mean?

I have rewarded them for their work buying every album (many times) and some concerts tickets.

They have rewarded me giving me decades of great music (both studio and live)

Probably both parts could not give more.

Edited by geezer
  • Like 3

Nobody's complaining so I'll throw a couple out for fun.

1. Reissuing of old material - Their forgetting to throw Lock and Key back in with A Show of Hands when the Replay DVDs came out I found quite poor. Somebody really dropped the ball on that, admittedly I don't know if it was the band or management but their name is on the stuff. It also left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths that they didn't issue the R40 bonus disc separately for people that had already bought all the videos. It would also be nice to see some old live soundboards officially released, hopefully they will start doing that when they officially retire and not forget about them like Genesis did.

2. I don't think I am alone in saying that the R40 setlist got better as it went along and it was great seeing all the original instruments and looks and lasers of the '70s/'80s. It's fun to think of how they would have sounded by keeping things simpler on their shows and not getting so crazy with the videos and special effects stuff. Sometimes simpler is better.

3. Too much touring and not enough new albums. The R30 tour, Time Machine tour and this last tour were all greatest hits type shows. With how great CA was, I would like to see more new material. Although if the new material is like S&A, then maybe we're better off without it. :P

Not saying I don't love them, it is hard to think of a group that does everything exactly right. I do think they appreciate their fans and I think the last couple of tours have shown they are aware of a lot of the deep cuts that people want to hear. Switching to an evening with format was great for fans as well. There are many more good things to list than bad but the thread title wasn't asking for good things...

Edited by Apollo

Might seem strange nowadays, but it's all been FAIR PLAY.

What do you mean?

I have rewarded them for their work buying every album (many times) and some concerts tickets.

They have rewarded me giving me decades of great music (both studio and live)

Probably both parts could not give more.

Fans of any band have done all that and more, but how many other bands have given in return what Rush has?

They even have what I think is a healthy attitude towards the bootleg scene. I've never heard about them going after anyone.
  • Like 1

Sometimes I think not enough considering a lot of the bitching I see here.

Are you bitching about that?

I'll bitch about the forum, but not the band.

Yeah, I know you're bitching about the forum. Bitching about bitching.

The "real" answer is: of course not. They can't give me anything else. Just the music is enough.

My honest answer: Neil is my hero. But in a way, I wish that he enjoyed being famous more. From reading his newer books I get the sense that he doesn't enjoy touring anymore. Obviously it is his prerogative to live his life however he wishes, and I feel extremely selfish even as I type this. And he has given us and others so much already (auctioning off old drum kits, interviews, charity, coming back from tragedy), and yet it still irks me a little that he bails immediately after each show.

I know, I know. I sound like a jackass. And I feel like one too. ;)

• Like 2

Honestly , that they have toured so much over the years is mind boggling. I guess many bands only seem to get out when it apoears they need money. Rush has never said they dont want money, but im just saying they probably could still be wealthy beyond their dreams and done way less. So although ive spent alot to see them , they always are masterful in concert. Furthermore they always try to include alot of fan fav at every show to appeal to everyone. They have really been easy to see many times over the years. For that alone i thank them!

• Like 2

The "real" answer is: of course not. They can't give me anything else. Just the music is enough.

My honest answer: Neil is my hero. But in a way, I wish that he enjoyed being famous more. From reading his newer books I get the sense that he doesn't enjoy touring anymore. Obviously it is his prerogative to live his life however he wishes, and I feel extremely selfish even as I type this. And he has given us and others so much already (auctioning off old drum kits, interviews, charity, coming back from tragedy), and yet it still irks me a little that he bails immediately after each show.

I know, I know. I sound like a jackass. And I feel like one too. ;)

It's not exactly a secret that Neil hasn't enjoyed touring for several decades. He's said so multiple times and Alex just said so again in that Eddie Trunk interview. I can't really say I blame him but at least he has his motorcycling in between tour dates. He wouldn't have as much material for his books if he hadn't been touring during a lot of it.

• Like 1

They even have what I think is a healthy attitude towards the bootleg scene. I've never heard about them going after anyone.

Same could be said for not shutting down those of us scoping this tour. It would be very easy for them to figure out where the scopers are and bring a quick halt to it. But they let us share the live moment. Think about how much more excitement and vitality there is on this board, simply because the band an its management haven't taken a stand against the quasi-legal practice of broadcasting each show.
  • Like 4