Rcommendation for a Pre-Amp

brat7760

Who better to ask than my fellow Rush fans. I am wanting to buy a preamp to go along with my new Crown XLS 1002 and I just cannot seem to find a good preamp for under $500. Any recommendation from any audiophile out there? Just interested in a 2 channel preamp, don't need surround sound or all the other stuff I don't or will never use. Also would love to have a remote! Edited by brat7760

Who better to ask than my fellow Rush fans. I am wanting to buy a preamp to go along with my new Crown XLS 1002 and I just cannot seem to find a good preamp for under $500. Any recommendation from any audiophile out there? Just interested in a 2 channel preamp, don't need surround sound or all the other stuff I don't or will never use. Also would love to have a remote!

What are you wanting it for? You could always add another XLS 1002 and piggyback them.

Home audio is not really part of this section which is more about musical instruments and gear for producing audio. :) Guys who make music are rarely audiophiles. We can talk about Les Pauls and guitar amplifiers all day. I see pre-amp and think of mic inputs on a recording console or a stomp box for boosting a guitar signal.
  • Like 1

Thanks Mr. JD, I was actually looking at that one and just couldn't pull the trigger.

The Adcom GFP-815 seems to be pretty good and can be had for around $500.00.

Adcom is pretty good equipment. I have a friend that has the Adcom. It sounds really good. He has an Adcom amp also. Maybe you could look for something used. NAD makes some really nice preamps. What kind of speakers do you have?

JBL's L65 from the 70's, they still sound great, would not part with them for nothing. Also have a pair of JBL 890's. I have been looking maybe for something used, have my eye on an pre-amp on eBay it is a Emotiva USP 1, but I know nothing about that brand.

Thanks Mr. JD, I was actually looking at that one and just couldn't pull the trigger.

Adcom is pretty good equipment. I have a friend that has the Adcom. It sounds really good. He has an Adcom amp also. Maybe you could look for something used. NAD makes some really nice preamps. What kind of speakers do you have?

Edited by brat7760

JBL's L65 from the 70's, they still sound great, would not part with them for nothing. Also have a pair of JBL 890's. I have been looking maybe for something used, have my eye on an pre-amp on eBay at an Emotiva USP 1, but I know nothing about that brand.

I have read some reviews on Emotiva and they have always been good, especially for the price. Not sure how it will sound with the Crown. I think the Crown is a Class D amp built for live applications more than recorded music reproduction, but probably worth a try! Should drive those JBL's pretty good! I just had to replace my Infinity Column II speakers from the 70s. Took a long time to find something that sounded as good!

JBL's L65 from the 70's, they still sound great, would not part with them for nothing. Also have a pair of JBL 890's. I have been looking maybe for something used, have my eye on an pre-amp on eBay at an Emotiva USP 1, but I know nothing about that brand.

I have read some reviews on Emotiva and they have always been good, especially for the price. Not sure how it will sound with the Crown. I think the Crown is a Class D amp built for live applications more than recorded music reproduction, but probably worth a try! Should drive those JBL's pretty good! I just had to replace my Infinity Column II speakers from the 70s. Took a long time to find something that sounded as good!

Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it! I might have to rethink the Crown. Went to the Adcom website and they have a decent package deal. Would love your opinion on it. Here is the link. http://www.adcom-usa.com/pkg-a6-815

I had a friend who had those Infinity speakers and you are correct they also sounded awesome!

BTW i checked out your website, awesome! My wife is a semi-pro photographer as well. There is also a small rodeo complex less than a half mile from my house. Very cool pictures! Edited by brat7760
  • Like 1

Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it! I might have to rethink the Crown. Went to the Adcom website and they have a decent package deal. Would love your opinion on it. Here is the link. http://www.adcom-usa.com/pkg-a6-815

I had a friend who had those Infinity speakers and you are correct they also sounded awesome!

I bet that package would sound good. My friend has the 555ms amp. It sounds real good. They have a package with that amp too.

I really liked the Infinitys but I just played them to hard for to long. I ended up replacing them with a pair of Definitive Technology BP-8060ST speakers. They just sound awesome.