The Mt. Rushmore of Rock Guitar

Bill Nelson

Gaz Coombes

James Honeyman-Scott

Steve Bartek

Yeah . . . tons of visitors to this site . . . . first you have to stop at a "Google kiosk."

Bill Nelson

Gaz Coombes

James Honeyman-Scott

Steve Bartek

Yeah . . . tons of visitors to this site . . . . first you have to stop at a "Google kiosk."

??Que??

Oh are you saying you had to google these guys?? If so thats a shame they are all brilliant.

Edited by Digital Dad

Bill Nelson

Gaz Coombes

James Honeyman-Scott

Steve Bartek

??Que??

Oh are you saying you had to google these guys?? If so thats a shame they are all brilliant.

I hang my head in shame. Partly for the snotty tone of my post!

For me...in no particular order

1. Townshend

2. Richards

3. Van Halen

4. Page

Runner up, this guy

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/36ee4b90-601e-492f-b39d-7bb8c5c74ed5_zpsad2e27e4.jpg

Runner up? But, you already have him on your list at #2.

:laughing guy:

Berry, Hendrix, Paige, Clapton. Those four probably cover the full spectrum as far as influencing the development of modern guitar-playing.

They aren't my four favorite, though.

Alas, such male mountains. Does anyone have any favorite female guitarists? Tedeschi, Ford, Batten, Wilson . . . ?

I can't answer this thread myself, because I have way too many guitar heroes and heroines.

Edited by toymaker

Once again....it's always the same four guys, and then the 5th guy is usually personal preference.

You gotta take out the godfathers like Les Paul and Chuck Berry. They're a class unto which few can be inducted, so that's a different animal...and if you take out the solo virtuosos like Vai or Satriani or Bonamassa or Di Meola or whom have you, the first 4 are virtually indisputable. :)

Hendrix

Clapton

Page

EVH

Stevie Ray

Edited by Bard

I think you might be overrating Schenker a tad for Mt. Rushmore. ;)

I dig Michael myself. And his brother, and all the German boys in the Scorpions past and present, Matthias, Rudy, Uli. They are absolutely worthy and rank in the very top of hard rock axemen.

But in the top five over SRV? Or Howe? Or Lifeson? David Gilmour? Joe Perry? Dave Davies?

I dunno. ;)

Edited by Bard

I dig Michael myself. And his brother, and all the German boys in the Scorpions past and present, Matthias, Rudy, Uli. They are absolutely worthy and rank in the very top of hard rock axemen.

But in the top five over SRV? Or Howe? Or Lifeson? David Gilmour? Joe Perry? Dave Davies?

I dunno. ;)

some Dave Davies love...finally!

also a great songwriter. Death of a Clown, Strangers, Rats, Mindless Child of Motherhood, Party Line, Livin on a Thin Line...

I dunno. ;)

some Dave Davies love...finally!

also a great songwriter. Death of a Clown, Strangers, Rats, Mindless Child of Motherhood, Party Line, Livin on a Thin Line...

Hell yeah. Without the Kinks, much of classic or modern rock wouldn't exist. The ever underrated bannermen of the British Invasion. Those other Limeys, the Fab Four and the yardbirds and the Stones, they always get all the credit.

Ray and Dave Davies are beyond question two of the finest songwriters in history.

They almost made a 50 year reunion happen this last year, but Ray and Dave still hate each others' guts and Dave took a hit on his dexterity after the stroke, but he came back well enough to keep jamming, it seems.

Still, I figure if Sting and Copeland could get back for a one-off Police reunion after 30 years, I'm hoping the Kinks might do the same. It's a little late, but they're not dead yet at least. Ray wants to do it, but Dave, not as much. :)

... and it kills me to keep Steve Howe off

Swap out Schenker for Howe and your list is identical to mine. :)