Thoughts on Epiphone viola bass

King Mab

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy an electric bass- now this is my first electric bass and I don't want to be completely broke-- so no matter how awesome a Rickenback 4003 would be, it's not going to happen. I've been looking around and I have been playing on some basses in pawn shops and music shops and I found that the Epiphone Viola bass really had a nice feel with the neck size and my ability to strum some high bass chords. I tried out the fender jazz bass upon geddy's celebrity endorsement, but I found it to be a little to clunky at times (might just be my playing). Anyway I'm looking to play a lot of older rush music and some experimental jazz. What are your thoughts on this bass?

My personal thoughts? I've played one. Wasn't impressed. Felt very cheap. They have a particular hollow thumpy tone that's fine if you're into The Beatles. But that's just my experience with them. If I were you I would try as many basses as you can get your hands on.

Fair enough. I was kind of getting that vibe as well, thanks for your input.
  • Like 1

Hofner makes an inexpensive version of their violin bass that plays pretty well and sounds better than the Epiphone but you can't go wrong with a good Squire J bass. You just have to play a few to find the one you like. They can even be packaged with a practice amp and accessories for around $299.

Going off the Squire J Bass, I played a really nice vintage modified fret-less one recently. However when I talked to some of my fellow musicians about it, they gave me a laugh at the name "Squire". Now I get it-- I'm a pretty new bassist, I've only been playing for around 3ish years; nevertheless, it would be nice to have a bass to "grow into" so to speak. I play regularly in a Church band, and I get hired pretty frequently for conventions and whatnot, would a Squire be a nice fit for this? Now obviously I won't be going Jaco in the middle of a service... nevertheless my friends and I like to Zappa things up on a Friday night.

Going off the Squire J Bass, I played a really nice vintage modified fret-less one recently. However when I talked to some of my fellow musicians about it, they gave me a laugh at the name "Squire". Now I get it-- I'm a pretty new bassist, I've only been playing for around 3ish years; nevertheless, it would be nice to have a bass to "grow into" so to speak. I play regularly in a Church band, and I get hired pretty frequently for conventions and whatnot, would a Squire be a nice fit for this? Now obviously I won't be going Jaco in the middle of a service... nevertheless my friends and I like to Zappa things up on a Friday night.

I think people who chuckle at folks who play Squires might be acting a bit stuck up. I've talked to loads of people who are convinced that the electronics and all that stuff in the foreign-made guitars are pretty similar; I've also talked to people who are convinced that you don't have the "real thing" unless you have American made stuff. A lot of those Squire instruments sound great. Are you playing in bars, or at Carnegie Hall? If you find a bass that feels comfortable and makes you happy in terms of tone, go for it. My $250 Ibanez ATK makes me very happy. People have come up to me and complimented me on my "tone." Of course, I spent about 5X the value of that bass on my amp. . . .

• Like 1

Squiers have improved a LOT in the last 10 years. Especially if you go with the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe lines. They're really nice.
  • Like 1

Squiers have improved a LOT in the last 10 years. Especially if you go with the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe lines. They're really nice.

Do you know what the price range on those is?

Around $350 new, unless you can get a discount or buy one used.

Nice. I see in my latest issue of Canadian Musician that Fender has released a USA Geddy Lee Jazz bass. I wonder how much that baby's going for...

$1,600 list

http://www.fender.co...0197702806.html

Edited by toymaker

Nice. I see in my latest issue of Canadian Musician that Fender has released a USA Geddy Lee Jazz bass. I wonder how much that baby's going for...

1600 list

http://www.fender.co...0197702806.html

I believe the 1600 is street price.

EDIT: yeah it is. That's what Musicians Friend, Sweetwater etc are selling it for.

Edited by EagleMoon

Let them laugh. It's not who made it or how much it costs. If it sounds good and plays good it is good. No reason to spend $1000 on an instrument when you can find something for $200 that plays and sounds as good or better.

Geddy's main J is a $200 purchase from a pawn shop. Now it's made records that have sold millions of copies. Andy Summers bought his Tele for like $400 and somebody else had already modified it (now famously) then Fender went and replicated it when the Police reunited.

I know a great player who plays a squire and has a piece of gaffer tape over the Squire on the headstock. But it's got a Geddy style neck on it and it is an excellent piece.

• Like 1

I know a great player who plays a squire and has a piece of gaffer tape over the Squire on the headstock. But it's got a Geddy style neck on it and it is an excellent piece.

Classic. I spent about two hours last night between guitar center and our local music shop and I think I'm gonna go for the Mexican made Jazz bass. Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

• Like 2

I have a Mexican J and a Geddy (which are made in Japan) and a Ric 4001. The Mexi is my main bass.

Many times musicians that get more upgraded gear turn into douchy elitests. What's ironic is that many times their playing skill isn't up to par with their higher end gear. Eff them if they don't like your gear of choice.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1

Many times musicians that get more upgraded gear turn into douchy elitests. What's ironic is that many times their playing skill isn't up to par with their higher end gear. Eff them if they don't like your gear of choice.

Squier had a bad reputation years ago for being just cheap beginner instruments. They've put out some really nice stuff the last few years in the CV and VM lines, as long as you stay away from the Affinity and starter packs.