Book about Rush

Lost In Xanadu

Anybody read this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Experiencing-Rush-A-Listeners-Companion/dp/1442231300

"Experiencing Rush: A Listeners Companion"

Just happened to see it today as the author is a member here (no posts) with a birthday today.

Never heard of the book but maybe it would be an interesting read. Who knows? BTW and maybe I am alone in feeling this way but I am generally not a fan of folks coming (joining) here just to sell something. Make one post and then just bolt. I know its the American way but it just turns me off for some reason...
  • Like 2

Never heard of the book but maybe it would be an interesting read. Who knows? BTW and maybe I am alone in feeling this way but I am generally not a fan of folks coming (joining) here just to sell something. Make one post and then just bolt. I know its the American way but it just turns me off for some reason...

I really don't mind, as long as it is Rush related. I think most Rush fans never come on internet boards, so I think it's a great way to advertise your product.

Clem

But the author has no posts, so he's just hanging out to see what's going on.

• Like 2

Fair enough in his case...
  • Like 1

Fair enough in his case...

Yeah, it just happened to be the info in his profile. He never did make a post, so it's innocent enough

• Like 1

There hasn't been an "official" biography, correct?

Rush (by Brian Harrigan) and Success Under Pressure (By Steve Gett) are probably quasi-official. Success Under Pressure includes some input from the band.

Visions was official.

Contents Under Pressure was authorized.

• Like 2

Contents Under Pressure is the only thing I've read. Been thinking about going for a Neil book or two.

I just read Contents Under Pressure and I read the Illustrated History in 2013, both by Popoff. They were pretty good, like the illustrated one with all the posters, ticket stubs and other memorabilia in the pictures.

I have read Neil's Roadshow, Traveling Music and Ghost Rider. Liked Roadshow since it was written on the R30 tour, gives you an idea of what his motorcycle rides are like. I love his writing but he can be a bit snobbish at times. Still good reads.

• Like 2

Contents Under Pressure is the only thing I've read. Been thinking about going for a Neil book or two.

I just read Contents Under Pressure and I read the Illustrated History in 2013, both by Popoff. They were pretty good, like the illustrated one with all the posters, ticket stubs and other memorabilia in the pictures.

I have read Neil's Roadshow, Traveling Music and Ghost Rider. Liked Roadshow since it was written on the R30 tour, gives you an idea of what his motorcycle rides are like. I love his writing but he can be a bit snobbish at times. Still good reads.

I always read his webpage stories so I'm kinda used to his style.

I always read his webpage stories so I'm kinda used to his style.

Then you should love them, he is very detailed and thorough. The Traveling Music one was fun to have him talk about music he likes to listen to.

• Like 1

I just got done with Far and Near recently. I enjoyed it, having read Ghost Rider previously. The photographs were a nice touch. I recommend the books to any Rush fan, but I always feel strange after having read his writing. It's hard to explain, but I just get the feeling that he doesn't really enjoy what he does, and it really comes through in the books. I suppose no job is perfect, and nobody likes their job 100% of the time, but it just strikes me as odd to read something like that coming from someone who is a hero to me. (He would hate to learn that I consider him one of my heroes.)

I just got done with Far and Near recently. I enjoyed it, having read Ghost Rider previously. The photographs were a nice touch. I recommend the books to any Rush fan, but I always feel strange after having read his writing. It's hard to explain, but I just get the feeling that he doesn't really enjoy what he does, and it really comes through in the books. I suppose no job is perfect, and nobody likes their job 100% of the time, but it just strikes me as odd to read something like that coming from someone who is a hero to me. (He would hate to learn that I consider him one of my heroes.)

He probably doesn't hate the money, so he's got that going for him, which is nice.

• Like 1

I get what you mean, he seems to be super critical of some fans and I thought he was a bit whiny too. Yet if he didn't like playing why would he keep doing it? I get the money angle but if he was just going through the motions I would think it would show in his performances. And he has been consistently complaining about touring since the band first got together. So I just had to take what he said in the books with a grain of salt and consider the circumstances, someone was being creepy and following him, being obnoxious or whatever. That said I haven't read any of his other books but do like his blog.

Edited by Rhyta

Has anyone read the Rush bio by Bill Banaswiewicz Rush Visions?

I read it when it first came out...don't remember the details of it much.

I still my copy with the rest of my "Rush Stuff".

I'll have have another look at it.

Well, reading about someone that dislikes their job is probably not only more relatable but also more interesting for most people than someone that sings praises of their job.

I have it but have not read it yet!! Looks interesting

It's must buy for me, just don't have it yet.

Finally bought it, but still haven't read Experiencing Rush yet.

I'm like four Rush books behind in my reading. I also still need to get Art of Rush and Illustrated History so I guess that makes me six books behind

Actually, don't have Rush FAQ either, but I may not get that one.

Contents Under Pressure is a good place to start. I also enjoyed Roadshow which was a travel/tour book written by Neil on the R30 tour, gives you a great behind the scenes view of how Neil gets to the venues and gives some interesting tidbits about the group (like how they came up with their nicknames -Lerxst, Dirk and Pratt)
  • Like 3