Your HITCHCOCK Top 5 films + 1 underrated and 1 special mention

treeduck

Rear Window, then everything else.

I liked the birds but even as a kid it didn't scare me. I saw psycho as a teenager and unfortunately, I had the story spoiled for me (I knew what was coming) which kind of ruined it. Great movie though. North by Northwest and Vertigo. Saw each one time and don't really remember them all that well.

I have only seen those 5 Hitchcock movies. I need to sit down and have a marathon one weekend when I don't have anything else to do.

You'll have a different view once you see them again.

I first watched The Birds in the early 70's when I was a little kid and it took two weeks for me to believe that the Birds weren't going to get me. Even shutting my door didn't help as I knew that the Birds could peck right through it like they did in the attic in Rod Taylor's house. :wacko:

I have seen The Birds quite a few times. It was interesting but weird and the ending was sort of anticlimactic.

Rear Window I have seen a thousand times. Love that movie.

I would benefit from watching the others again since I haven't seen them in a very long time.

Rear Window is alright but the problem is it's just a guy siting in a room for 99% of it.

I don't see that as a problem. I see it as interesting. A guy watching his theater(his back courtyard). Also it helps the climax at the end since he can't run away from the guy trying to kill him.

I love that movie....

.....and Grace Kelly..... :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Yeah it's interesting I just like a bit more going on beyond one single window view of the world.

And Grace is also in To Catch a Thief which I prefer.

I will have to make that my next one to watch.

Yeah Cary Grant stars as John Robie "The Cat". It's kind of a romantic mystery thriller with Cary Grant adding his usual brand of charm and humour.

I don't know all of his movies offhand but my wife and I watched a bunch in a row about a year ago.

These stood out:

Rear Window

Strangers on a Train

Vertigo (I thought it was a friggin' ghost movie for the first hour plus!)

Psycho (obviously)

And the one with Uncle Charlie / the girl named Charlie was great too. That ending was pretty nuts and the scene at the dinner table where Uncle Charlie lays it all down actually gave me chills. That dude delivered the lines like a pro.

• Like 1

Psycho

Vertigo

North By Northwest

Frenzy

The 39 Steps

Forgot about The Birds and Saboteur...oops...

I love The Birds but it didn't quite crack my top 5. Top 10 for sure. 39 Steps is great. I like The Lady Vanishes too! Too much good stuff ....

North by Northwest

Rear Window

Strangers on a Train

Shadow of a Doubt

Vertigo

Underrated: Marnie

Special mention: Rope

I struggle with Marnie and I think it's the two leads. Sean Connery is great but it's like ... he is Bond! And while Tippi is great in The Birds, she is wrong for Marnie.

I liked the birds but even as a kid it didn't scare me. I saw psycho as a teenager and unfortunately, I had the story spoiled for me (I knew what was coming) which kind of ruined it. Great movie though. North by Northwest and Vertigo. Saw each one time and don't really remember them all that well.

I have only seen those 5 Hitchcock movies. I need to sit down and have a marathon one weekend when I don't have anything else to do.

I first watched The Birds in the early 70's when I was a little kid and it took two weeks for me to believe that the Birds weren't going to get me. Even shutting my door didn't help as I knew that the Birds could peck right through it like they did in the attic in Rod Taylor's house. :wacko:

I have seen The Birds quite a few times. It was interesting but weird and the ending was sort of anticlimactic.

I would benefit from watching the others again since I haven't seen them in a very long time.

Rear Window is alright but the problem is it's just a guy siting in a room for 99% of it.

That's the beauty of it. Hitchcock was great at creating claustrophobic sets. Another great one was Lifeboat. Another underrated classic!

I need to watch Rear Window with the Lad. He's the perfect age for it, and him being a fan of Columbo and the BBC's Sherlock Holmes he's sure to dig it. I'll chalk a Hitchcock marathon up to using film as text in the homeschool curriculum. :)
  • Like 3

Does anyone have any thoughts on Dario Argento or Brian DePalma's early films ?? ... Both very much inspired by Hitchcock

"Bird With The Crystal Plumage" is esp good

Edited by Lucas

Psycho (Wow, what a surprise)

Shadow Of A Doubt

North By Northwest

Vertigo

Rear Window

There's quite a lot of Hitchcock films I haven't seen yet believe it or not, which is weird cause I consider the Hitch one of my favorite directors period. Psycho's my #1 for sentimental reasons really. It probably would've not made my top 5 period if I had watched the remake w/my family first when I was a kid...glad my 5 year old self (yeah, that would've been my age at the time had I joined the rest of my family in watching it) was a cowardly lion back then, I knew what was shit even back then haha! :LOL:

• Like 2

Watching To Catch a Thief right now. It's a great movie, but I forgot how creepy it is to watch Grace Kelly drive like that, knowing how and where she died. :(
  • Like 1

Watching To Catch a Thief right now. It's a great movie, but I forgot how creepy it is to watch Grace Kelly drive like that, knowing how and where she died. :(
  • Like 1

I don't see that as a problem. I see it as interesting. A guy watching his theater(his back courtyard). Also it helps the climax at the end since he can't run away from the guy trying to kill him.

I love that movie....

.....and Grace Kelly..... :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Just watched it with the Lad and he loved it. It's a great film with perfect pacing. Not an easy thing to pull of when the main character doesn't go anywhere during the film. Think of the character development that occurs with characters that never say a single word (audibly). The Dancer, Miss Lonely Heart...
  • Like 3

The Birds

Frenzy

Psycho

Rear Window

Vertigo

Rope

Marnie

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/hitchgym_zps5j7ubyhz.gif

• Like 4

That's one of my Hitchcock's faves and it's kind of underrated because no one really talks much about it when Hitchcock's discussions arise.

• Like 2

That's one of my Hitchcock's faves and it's kind of underrated because no one really talks much about it when Hitchcock's discussions arise.

The romantic tension between Grant and Kelly is fantastic.
  • Like 1

Ok, the Lad and I have watched nine Hitchcock films so far, and here's the ranking:

9. The Man Who Knew Too Much (dull, a simple kidnapping with no suspense whatsoever, and really bad makeup on the dark-skinned folks)

8. Sabotage (appreciate the artistry, but not very compelling)

7. Vertigo (excellent idea for a murder mystery, but a little too heavy-handed with the psychology, and slowwwwww pacing)

6. Strangers on a Train (fairly dated in the corniest sense, but a really good idea executed as well as could be expected for its day)

5. North by Northwest(some less plausible bits, but still a good watch beginning to end)

4. Psycho (a chillingly good tomr)

3. Dial M For Murder (an almost perfect crime cleverly laid out and solved. Great pacing)

2. To Catch A Thief (great scenery, romantic tension, always moving along)

1. Rear Window (so simple, yet compelling from beginning to end)

From the Lad: "I could watch Rear Window ten times in a row."

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Ok, the Lad and I have watched nine Hitchcock films so far, and here's the ranking:

9. The Man Who Knew Too Much (dull, a simple kidnapping with no suspense whatsoever, and really bad makeup on the dark-skinned folks)

7. Vertigo (excellent idea for a murder mystery, but a little too heavy-handed with the psychology, and slowwwwww pacing)

6. Strangers on a Train (fairly dated in the corniest sense, but a really good idea executed as well as could be expected for its day)

5. North by Northwest(some less plausible bits, but still a good watch beginning to end)

3. Dial M For Murder (an almost perfect crime cleverly laid out and solved. Great pacing)

What no Uncle Charlie, Goose??
  • Like 1

I don't really have a favorite. I do remember when (The Birds) came out. It scared the crap out of me. I avoided watching it for many years. It doesn't bother me now. :codger:
  • Like 2

What no Uncle Charlie, Goose??

Not yet.

Updated but pretty similar. well...the same but a top 10...

1. Psycho (1960)

2. North By Northwest (1959)

3. The Birds (1963)

4. Vertigo (1958)

5. To Catch a Thief (1955)

6. Dial M For Murder (1954)

7. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

8. Rear Window (1954)

9. Marnie (1964)

10. Frenzy (1972)

A quick update:

1. North By Northwest (1959)