Worst Concert Review Ever? VH @ Red Rocks

This has to be the worst review of a concert by a classic band I've ever seen. I haven't seen this tour yet but so far all the reviews indicate that Eddie is playing better than he has in years if not decades. It's hard to imagine that the show was anywhere near this bad.

http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2015/07/21/van-halen-at-red-rocks-amphitheatre-photos-review/106005/

Roth could not hide the fact that his voice is shattered after the tour’s first eight shows. Maybe it’s time to take a page from the Journey playbook and start trolling Manila nightclubs for a singer who can hit those sustained notes.

Best idea all week. Find two dudes the other can do Haggar.

the band stormed through 25 songs in about two-and-a-half hours. The crowd thinned considerably about halfway through the show.

Ouch!

Edited by JohnRogers

Here's the bio on the guy who wrote the review...

Jason Blevins covers tourism, mountain business, skiing and outdoor adventure sports for both the business and sports sections at The Denver Post, which he joined in 1997. He skis, pedals, paddles and occasionally boogies in the hills and is just as inspired by the lively entrepreneurial spirit that permeates Colorado's high country communities as he is by the views.

Why is it a bad review? He directs most of his criticism at Roth, whose voice IS shot now and deserves the criticism. I generally think reviewers suck, but considering that almost everyone with an objective ear can hear how bad Roth's voice is now, I don't see the problem here.
  • Like 4

This has to be the worst review of a concert by a classic band I've ever seen. I haven't seen this tour yet but so far all the reviews indicate that Eddie is playing better than he has in years if not decades. It's hard to imagine that the show was anywhere near this bad.

http://www.heyreverb...-review/106005/

I've seen the show twice and loved it. I've seen Van Halen since 1984. I've seen every MK version.

Sometimes a great band has a shitty night.

I read the reviews in my paper here. Everything was five stars except for Dave's voice.

Makes no sense.

FUCKK THE CRITICS!

If there are 20 reviews of a tour, one says it was awful, one is gushing in praise and the other 18 say "yeah this was pretty good", you'll know which 2 are outliers and can discount.

If you care.

I discount all reviews, I know what I like and what i saw and retroactively seeing someone say something I thought sucked was awesome or vice-versa won't make me change my mind.

All I know is that everyone I saw or spoke to after the Irvine VH show was happy with what they saw, and ultimately that's what this "music" thing is really all about, giving enjoyment to people.

Worst review ever: "I hope these guys are saving their money because they won't be around a year from now..." - reviewer of a Kiss show in 1974.

I guess he wrongly was thinking there was justice in the world.

• Like 1

I think they should just tour as a 3 piece with Wolf on vocals

If you heard the soundcheck recordings he sounds good

He lacks charisma and stage presence but they'd be fine and they could cover their entire catalog

Or if Roth would just sing them toned down he'd be fine

He sounds fine when he's not trying to sing them differently

The band is playing great but Roth is ruining it a bit

Didn't Rolling Stone hate Black Sabbath's début?

The reviews for Zeppelin weren't all that kind from Rolling Stone. Sabbath as well I'm sure.

VH aren't great anymore. Unless you are a fanboy.

I looked/listened to a few youtubes on Red Rocks show and they sounded fine, to me. Again, Roth is the weakest link for sure but that's been true for years.

Wolfie is a big boy !!! Oh, I'm an Eddie fanboy for sure.

http://youtu.be/7OlKH1lndYw

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

I was at the San Bernardino show. Dave actually delivered the right goods for the first time since he rejoined in '07. And Ed was on fire. That said, they definitely seem to have decreased in potency in subsequent shows. Edited by Bard

I would actually prefer it if I was the only fan of this band in the entire world seeing as how I actually enjoy the music and the stage show.