I'll rank them

Crap

Shite

Abysmal

An abortion

horrendous

godawful

shit on toast

I didn't realise this was a thread about your favourite albums. My bad!

I'll rank them

Crap

Shite

Abysmal

An abortion

horrendous

godawful

shit on toast

I thought it was a list of different ways to describe Presto.

• Like 1

I'll rank them

Crap

Shite

Abysmal

An abortion

horrendous

godawful

shit on toast

I thought it was a list of different ways to describe Presto.

Glad he mentioned Counterparts at the very end!

Damn, this series was my childhood. Going to HP World in London where they had all the original sets and stuff was insane.

10387478_10205888877732298_7813116394609043550_n.jpg?oh=68c320b5d36f8178f070495f21559e55&oe=5649D238

The series made me a kid again...revisiting those years of wonder

What delights me is that they really improve with age, and rereads! The adult characters are so well fleshed out, I find myself really warming to the older ones, but when I was ten I looked to them just as a kid would.

I think those around here who hate on Potter have not a clue what they are missing out in.

I couldn't disagree more with your last sentence. I don't hate HP but I'm not missing out on anything since I read the first 3 books (which were decent...I said that earlier) and watched parts 4 & 5 (which I didn't like it). For those that actually hate it, if they saw the flicks and loathed them THEN they're not missing anything because they DID experience it...it's just that they didn't like it. The only people that "have no clue what they're missing" are those that actually never read one of the books or saw any of the movies.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Damn, this series was my childhood. Going to HP World in London where they had all the original sets and stuff was insane.

10387478_10205888877732298_7813116394609043550_n.jpg?oh=68c320b5d36f8178f070495f21559e55&oe=5649D238

What delights me is that they really improve with age, and rereads! The adult characters are so well fleshed out, I find myself really warming to the older ones, but when I was ten I looked to them just as a kid would.

I think those around here who hate on Potter have not a clue what they are missing out in.

I couldn't disagree more with your last sentence. I don't hate HP but I'm not missing out on anything since I read the first 3 books (which were decent...I said that earlier) and watched parts 4 & 5 (which I didn't like it). For those that actually hate it, if they saw the flicks and loathed them THEN they're not missing anything because they DID experience it...it's just that they didn't like it. The only people that "have no clue what they're missing" are those that actually never read one of the books or saw any of the movies.

I was referring to those who give the impression they hate HP when in actual fact they never even tried a book or movie.

A lot of people generalise the franchise as lightweight kiddie fare, whilst raving about something like Game Of Thrones or Star Wars (GoT is very accomplished, so I have no issue with that, I just don't like it).

Those who have tried and know what it is about, and do not like it, have an opinion I can get on with.

But I do not think anyone can truly say they know what HP is about unless they actually attempt (not necessarily finishing) one of the books.

• Like 1

I was referring to those who give the impression they hate HP when in actual fact they never even tried a book or movie.

A lot of people generalise the franchise as lightweight kiddie fare, whilst raving about something like Game Of Thrones or Star Wars (GoT is very accomplished, so I have no issue with that, I just don't like it).

Those who have tried and know what it is about, and do not like it, have an opinion I can get on with.

But I do not think anyone can truly say they know what HP is about unless they actually attempt (not necessarily finishing) one of the books.

I hear what you're saying. But at the same time, how do you know the people that stated they hate HP never read any of the books or saw any of those movies? There's nothing in what they wrote to suggest they didn't try it.

• Like 1

I hear what you're saying. But at the same time, how do you know the people that stated they hate HP never read any of the books or saw any of those movies? There's nothing in what they wrote to suggest they didn't try it.

I don't. But when they say sarcastic comments that bare no relation to the books, it gives off the impression they have never actually tried it and simply react that way due to the hype. Which again, if this is true, I can partly understand.

A similar principle applies to Alter Bridge. Many comments have been made derisively to that band by people who judge them solely on the bands link to Creed. You can often tell a genuine critic from a snob by the tone in which they critique.

The amazing thing about these books is that, for once, it had a lot of adults under its spell as well! My dad is 76, and read them as I read them, and he was left speechless by their beauty.

I read them right along with my kids. We actually had to buy multiple copies of each book as they came out in order to prevent fights over who got the book in the evening. We would also discuss the books each evening over dinner. Pardon the pun, but those were magical days in my home.... talking about plot lines, character development, writing style, etc. Again, talking about *books* over dinner with your children.... wrap your minds around that people!

Haters can hate all they want... Jo Rowling gave me an incredible gift.... precious time with my children and a development of their love of reading.

Haters can hate all they want... we all know the truth.... she sold something in the range of 400 million copies of those books.... someone (pretty much everyone) was buying them and reading them.

Haters can hate all they want... I literally paused, teary-eyed, and held the book open for a few minutes when I finished the last one... I didn't want to close the book.... the emotion had little to do with the end of the story... it had everything to do with the understanding that closing that book was the end of cherished experience with my children.

• Like 2

The amazing thing about these books is that, for once, it had a lot of adults under its spell as well! My dad is 76, and read them as I read them, and he was left speechless by their beauty.

I read them right along with my kids. We actually had to buy multiple copies of each book as they came out in order to prevent fights over who got the book in the evening. We would also discuss the books each evening over dinner. Pardon the pun, but those were magical days in my home.... talking about plot lines, character development, writing style, etc. Again, talking about *books* over dinner with your children.... wrap your minds around that people!

Haters can hate all they want... Jo Rowling gave me an incredible gift.... precious time with my children and a development of their love of reading.

Haters can hate all they want... we all know the truth.... she sold something in the range of 400 million copies of those books.... someone (pretty much everyone) was buying them and reading them.

Haters can hate all they want... I literally paused, teary-eyed, and held the book open for a few minutes when I finished the last one... I didn't want to close the book.... the emotion had little to do with the end of the story... it had everything to do with the understanding that closing that book was the end of cherished experience with my children.

I agree with your view on missing out, their is something truly old fashioned, and yet timeless about these books! And in all honesty, in the last fifty years nothing comes close (I am always on the prowl for modern fiction that sweeps me away as much as these!).

I would rank them as follows best to worst.

Prisoner of Azkaban

Sorcerer's Stone

Chamber of Secrets

Goblet of Fire

Half-Blood Prince

Order of the Phoenix

Deathly Hallows Parts 1 + 2

It's pretty much the same way I feel about the books. I enjoy reading about the characters discovering magic and the wonders of Hogwarts. As I feel these are, in essence, all books geared towards children, I think things start to get a little too dark around Goblet of Fire and go downhill from there. There just not much fun after a certain point.

I don't think the books were aimed at children, the books matured both with Rowling's skill as a writer, the protagonists, and the developing themes.

I am really pleased we didn't get the Disney version of Deathly Hallows.

I don't think the books were aimed at children, the books matured both with Rowling's skill as a writer, the protagonists, and the developing themes.

The movies do hardly any justice to the novels...disappointed with every film in some way. Too many to list
  • Like 2

The movies do hardly any justice to the novels...disappointed with every film in some way. Too many to list

I honestly love the first part of Deathly Hallows- to death. No, it doesn't better the book, but as a film it is perfect!

I still think this series would make awesome television.

• Like 1

I agree with this. But if they were to make movies that were exactly like the books each one would probably be eight hours long, especially the later books.

• Like 1

I honestly love the first part of Deathly Hallows- to death. No, it doesn't better the book, but as a film it is perfect!

The Deathly Hollows disappointed me because of the ending. The fight between Voldemort and Harry should have taken place in the great hall, with everyone surrounding them. The rush of friends after Voldy gets killed is the money shot IMO.

The Snape pensieve sequence was masterfully done on the other hand. That was so emotional

• Like 2

The Deathly Hollows disappointed me because of the ending. The fight between Voldemort and Harry should have taken place in the great hall, with everyone surrounding them. The rush of friends after Voldy gets killed is the money shot IMO.

The Snape pensieve sequence was masterfully done on the other hand. That was so emotional

Also, HBP should have included Dumbledore confronting the Dursleys. Should've contained the broom closet with Harry and Albus.

The DH should've had Dudley telling Harry how he cared. That mean't something of tremendous value to me

My issues with the ending is the same. It baffles me how Rowling allowed it!

• Like 1

This is how they should've done it in the first place

• Like 1

Right on. It was just maddening to sit through.
  • Like 1

Right on. It was just maddening to sit through.

I was disappointed with the ending is well. What a letdown.

• Like 1

Though I've read all the books and seen all the movies, I don't really know how to rank any of them - they all seemed good.

I'm probably going to get either a :bitchslap: an :eyeroll: or a :facepalm: