A few things tarnished my experience

lemonycake

Hello all! :coy:

Long-time lurker here, this is my first time posting. I didn't really get into :rush: until like two years ago and when I did I was completely hooked. I was dead set on going to the R40 show because it was my first and likely last chance to see them live. I don't have any friends that share the same taste in music, but I didn't want to go alone, so I bought two tickets and invited a friend to come along as an early birthday present. Well, last Friday we went to the show in Vancouver, and here are my thoughts.

To say the performance was amazing would be an understatement. They absolutely blew my mind, Geddy's vocals were killer this tour and they played so many of my favourites. I can't believe I got to see Natural Science, Jacob's Ladder, Xanadu, Cygnus X-1, and 2112 played live. Losing It was a rare treat and I remember just standing there not even knowing if I still existed. The concert itself was better than anything I could've hoped for. It's was fantastic and definitely something I'll look back on for a long time, but there were a few things that tainted that experience for me... First of all, the audience, specifically the people in our section, were dead! I expected air-drumming, singing along or at least standing because we were on the 5th row of the lower bowl, but everyone was surprisingly tame and nobody stood up during the longer songs, and the cheers were few and far between. I mean, I'm normally a reaaally quiet and reserved girl, but this was the ONE time I wanted to let loose! We were literally the only people who were standing the entire show in our row/section, and I was the only one singing. There was just no energy around us. Secondly, my friend obviously wasn't very much into the show. She didn't even take the time to get to know the band when I told her I was bringing her to the concert, and clearly she still doesn't get them. This is my fault, I shouldn't have brought someone along who isn't a fan. It would have been better if I had just gone alone and enjoyed the show by myself, or with fellow fans there. Before the concert, she actually asked me if there was wifi at the arena because she wanted to talk to her boyfriend. I accidentally saw her texting her boyfriend after the show saying she didn't have fun and the show was super tiring. I just... Ugh, sometimes it's better to just keep the things you like to yourself. It's useless to try to "convert" somebody who you know wouldn't be into this type of music, or worse, bring them with you to the concert because they'll tarnish the experience.

Anyway, the concert itself was incredible and beyond what I thought it would be. The people I saw it with, not so much.

On a totally unrelated note, how come I didn't meet any younger guys at the show (it was mostly dads and metalhead dudes), but the next day when I was walking around the city I spotted a handful of cute guys in their early 20's wearing Rush t-shirts they bought from the concert? Where's my luck? Hahaha :huh: :sigh:

• Like 8

Welcome to the TRF officially and I love your username. Very cool. There were lots of young folks at the Atlanta show and lots of folks who looked like me (typical old school Rush fan)... :cheers: and don't be a stranger
  • Like 1

I was at Vancouver too! Great show, but these 2 drunk guys ruined about half the show talking through songs and bugging me. I was in the no-alcohol section so my seat neighbours had them removed 3 times :P. Still had a good time though. You shouldn't let your friend dampen your experience though :P

Did you have to take transit home? The 1 Direction fans totally f***ed up the whole system for awhile.

• Like 1

Well, you could still walk up to the cute guy on the street wearing a Rush shirt and say "Great show, wasn't it? I was there too!" and then see what happens. :) Welcome to the forum.
  • Like 2

I can vouch that you are better going solo than taking along someone that is not into them. I have hit the last 3 tours solo although I always know someone else there that I meet up with at some point. Sorry to hear about your section. Here in Tampa my section stood the entire show with exception of a couple stragglers and peole that were obviously dragged there against their will. Done be too hard on us slightly older guys. We aren't all bad...
  • Like 2

I was at Vancouver too! Great show, but these 2 drunk guys ruined about half the show talking through songs and bugging me. I was in the no-alcohol section so my seat neighbours had them removed 3 times :P. Still had a good time though. You shouldn't let your friend dampen your experience though :P

Did you have to take transit home? The 1 Direction fans totally f***ed up the whole system for awhile.

Who decided to have both shows on the same night? Traffic was a mess. I drove to Hope after the show and it took 40 minutes to get from the arena to 1st Ave. Then the Portman? Bridge was reduced to 1 lane due to construction. Took four hours to get to my hotel.

• Like 1

Who decided to have both shows on the same night? Traffic was a mess. I drove to Hope after the show and it took 40 minutes to get from the arena to 1st Ave. Then the Portman? Bridge was reduced to 1 lane due to construction. Took four hours to get to my hotel.

Tell me about it! I went back to the US after the show and it took two hours just to get across the border! Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1

Awesome! Hi fellow Vancouver fan, I love your username! :hi: Ahh that sucks, good thing your seat neighbours helped you out! There were these two drunk guys in our row who kept going to the bathroom every 15 minutes and then never came back after the intermission. What's their deal :sarcastic: and yeah I'm just gonna try to forget my friend was even there :P I had to take the Skytrain.. It was insane! Being squished by a 1 Direction backpack on your way home is never fun. Ugh, who was the genius that scheduled both shows on the same night :boo hiss:

Edited by lemonycake
  • Like 1

Well, you could still walk up to the cute guy on the street wearing a Rush shirt and say "Great show, wasn't it? I was there too!" and then see what happens. :) Welcome to the forum.

I'm shy :unsure:

Too bad you didn't run into me while you were there, I was going nuts the whole time! :LOL:

Which section were you in? Pretty sure I just got bad seats :facepalm:

I had a similar experience with some lamers in Chicago, so don't let them bring you down. Unfortunately with the high ticket prices, alot of higher income people will buy the better seats just for 'the status'. Then they sit and fiddle on their phone most of the time.

There should be a trivia question requirement for every higher priced Rush seat. If you miss it...to the nose bleeds for you!

• Like 1

Too bad you didn't run into me while you were there, I was going nuts the whole time! :LOL:

Which section were you in? Pretty sure I just got bad seats :facepalm:

I was on the floor, row 12 on Geddy's side. Although, even down there, I noticed some lame people; the guy next to me and my friend sat down during Xanadu!
  • Like 1

Awesome! Hi fellow Vancouver fan, I love your username! :hi: Ahh that sucks, good thing your seat neighbours helped you out! There were these two drunk guys in our row who kept going to the bathroom every 15 minutes and then never came back after the intermission. What's their deal :sarcastic: and yeah I'm just gonna try to forget my friend was even there :P I had to take the Skytrain.. It was insane! Being squished by a 1 Direction backpack on your way home is never fun. Ugh, who was the genius that scheduled both shows on the same night :boo hiss:

Thanks! I love your picture! I'm a huge fan of Audrey Hepburn. Hahaha that's really weird. Yeah it was nuts on the train. The weird thing is 1 Direction was there the day after Rush for the Clockwork Angels tour too and the stadium was still crawling with preteens then too. I swear it must be intentional. :P

• Like 2

Thanks! I love your picture! I'm a huge fan of Audrey Hepburn. Hahaha that's really weird. Yeah it was nuts on the train. The weird thing is 1 Direction was there the day after Rush for the Clockwork Angels tour too and the stadium was still crawling with preteens then too. I swear it must be intentional. :P

The promoters do it to torture us.

• Like 2

Hello lemonycake. I was at Vancouver show too. and you asked me what section I was in (my section also sat through almost entire show ) in another thread ,so I choose this new thread to respond.(sorry!) I was at almost middle of the center section of the lower bowl. What section were you in? As far as I observed, the center two sections of the lower bowl seemed to almost sat down. Strange.

I also used skytrain to get back to my hotel and the Stadium-Chinatown station was like a flood of people! Oh, and As I entered the Arena, I overheard the usher said at the entrance gate "No, One Direction is at the Stadium, Not here!" :eyeroll: Seems some innocent 1D fans wandered into the wrong place.

Edited by Partialgrace
  • Like 1

I was at Vancouver too! Great show, but these 2 drunk guys ruined about half the show talking through songs and bugging me.

I remember the SLC 2010 show where an approx. 80 year old blitzed man kept dancing, and trying to get an usher to join in with him for much of the show! :LOL:

I had three beers in 15 minutes right before the current show. Most buzzed I've ever gone to a concert.

• Like 1

To bad you didn't attend the Denver show. We were not Rio but we were up the whole time and vocal...some us were high for the first time in twenty years but that is another story. ;)
  • Like 1

I would have rocked out to Rush with you, had I been invited! Alas I'm thousands of miles away and we've never met.

Seriously...shows I was at in the northeast US most everyone was standing the entire show. But its nothing like when the band and we were young, wandering the face of the earth. Crowds were lively and intense. Glad you got out to the show and got to enjoy the band live!

• Like 1

I was at Vancouver too! Great show, but these 2 drunk guys ruined about half the show talking through songs and bugging me.

I remember the SLC 2010 show where an approx. 80 year old blitzed man kept dancing, and trying to get an usher to join in with him for much of the show! :LOL:

I had three beers in 15 minutes right before the current show. Most buzzed I've ever gone to a concert.

Did that set you back $30?