Journey

Tom Sawyer

I was just listening to Journey - Escape, wow...it's been a while, I remember when I first bought the tape, popped it in and drove to Eastern Washington to meet up with some buddies. And now, here, 24 years later, remembering what a great album this is. I'd just broken up with my first hard love, you know, the one, you actually *considered* the thought of married... at least some day, and this album really helped me rebound from that. -Uh-huh, funny how music can play such a major role; in so many aspects of your life isn't it?

Well, I really love Escape, as well as Frontiers. It's good stuff!

Any one else here like Journey?

MAJOR Journey fan, here. I have a decent size collection of their stuff, including the box set. I've seen them in concert a few times as well. Perry is a sensational front man on stage. And if you think he sounds phenominal on record, that doesn't come close to what he'll do live.

I'm also a huge fan of the musicians who have given this band their sound. Schon, Cain, Greg Rollie, and especially Steve Smith (one of this planet's better drummers).

I've also seen the new Steve (Augeri) perform, and I like him alot. Their Arrival CD is AWESOME. He's been best friends with my cousin for about 30 years, and I just heard about a couple of weeks ago that a song my cousin wrote with him is being used on their new album which is being released at the end of this month. The song is called Believe, but I have not heard it.

Anyway, like you, I've got boat loads of memories tied to their songs. Old girlfriends, moments on a beach or a long drive with a favorite girl, hanging out with friends, or just chilling to some great music - and amazing vocals.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 20 2005, 04:22 PM)
ESCAPE is a really good album but I'm more of a DEPARTURE man myself. I just had flashbacks of playing that Journey video game now. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Departure is good also... I think that was the very first Journey album I ever owned.

QUOTE (pinkfloyd1973 @ Aug 21 2005, 08:42 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 20 2005, 04:22 PM)
ESCAPE is a really good album but I'm more of a DEPARTURE man myself.  I just had flashbacks of playing that Journey video game now. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Departure is good also... I think that was the very first Journey album I ever owned.

This thread made me play it now. Thanks. Playing on track 4 now..."People and Places". I especially love the sharing of lead vocals by the boys on this one.

My thing with Journey is

Most of their radio hits I can't stand. Not because I hate pop. In fact I'm a huge Toto fan, who in fact is very similar (but they're also virtuosos).

The vocals play a huge role in my dislike. There are not many singers I hate more than Perry. Especially his phrasing. HE TURNS EVERY WORD INTO A "woahoo-whoah!"

Anyway, the songs I don't like are basically, "Someday Love Will Find You," "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'," When the lights go down in the cit-ay, etc.

Otherwise Journey is great. Not anywhere NEAR Santana though. I enjoy Schon and Rollie (two AMAZING musicians!) much more in their fusion days.

They're not bad -- I prefer the stuff on "Next" though.

I went through a major Journey phase in the early 90s and, though I don't really listen to them much now (I've only got their stuff on vinyl and my collection isn't particulalry accessible at the moment), I still look back on them with fondness.

I was always a Frontiers fan - Seperate Ways is awesome.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 21 2005, 02:31 PM)
I just have their Greatest Hits album... And... uh... Trial By Fire. >_<

I LOVE Ask the Lonely.

Trial By Fire is an awesome CD. They put too many songs on it, and it loses its groove. But individually, there are some AMAZING songs on it.

Before Rush, Journey was my favorite band.

"Departure" was also my first Journey album and still remains as my favorite. I also really like "Escape" and remember looking forward to getting it. Of course, MTV started airing at this time and before you know it, Rush replaced Journey as my fave hard rock act.

By the time "Frontiers" came out, I lost some interest, although "Send Her My Love" gives me chills still. I love that climactic ending.

Around the fall of 1986, I reached back to my Journey fandom by, at long last, collecting their back catalog which includes "Infinity" and "Evolution".

"Raised On Radio" was a major disappointment, imo. It was Journey at it's most "pop". They were headed in that same direction as Jefferson Starship which was another group I had really admired.

Journey's album "Dream after Dream" is also a wonderful record, but not many are even aware of it's existence.

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 20 2005, 05:29 PM)

I've also seen the new Steve (Augeri) perform, and I like him alot. Their Arrival CD is AWESOME. He's been best friends with my cousin for about 30 years, and I just heard about a couple of weeks ago that a song my cousin wrote with him is being used on their new album which is being released at the end of this month. The song is called Believe, but I have not heard it.

they have been selling and giving the cd away this tour and got a copy when I saw them. THe cd is a great one. Every member sings and Believe is a good song. the did an evening with journey. now, where have I heard that before...

In the early 80's Journey was one of my favorite bands. "Infinity" is a top 10 all time album in my book. "Wind of March" is an awesome tune, so much emotion in that one. "Something to hide" is another one of my favorite songs from that CD. And of course the obvious "Anytime" and "Feeling that way" are both great the way they take turns singing.

After that album I didn't like them as much. I even like the ones before Steve Perry, Neil rocks on the guitar!!

Not a Journey fan at all but do recognize they are excellent players.

I am curious about this quote that has been floating around the net. To those in the know is there any truth to that comparison?

"Two tunes from that early era may sound a little familiar as Schon said Rush's biggest hit "Tom Sawyer" was taken from the very early Journey song "Nickel and Dime." The same goes for Kansas' "Carry On My Wayward Son" as Schon believes riffs were lifted from "I'm Gonna Leave You."

That quote can be found in this article here

QUOTE (tangdog @ Sep 1 2005, 08:23 PM)
Not a Journey fan at all but do recognize they are excellent players.

I am curious about this quote that has been floating around the net. To those in the know is there any truth to that comparison?

"Two tunes from that early era may sound a little familiar as Schon said Rush's biggest hit "Tom Sawyer" was taken from the very early Journey song "Nickel and Dime." The same goes for Kansas' "Carry On My Wayward Son" as Schon believes riffs were lifted from "I'm Gonna Leave You."

That quote can be found in this article here

they played both those when I saw them and they both predate sawyer and carry on so yeah JOurney was ripped off. sad.gif

Archived