Brett Favre Inducted Into Packer Hall of Fame

Principled Man

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/bd8a6e360f8ee14e7bd42f250c64eec6e87c52dd/c=750-947-3943-3348&r=x513&c=680x510/local/-/media/2015/07/18/WIGroup/WisconsinRapids/635728491943496769-GPG-KB-FavreEvent01.jpg

A long, thunderous standing ovation by a packed Lambeau Field got the old gunslinger all choked up Saturday evening.

Being inducted into the Packer Hall of Fame AND having his jersey number retired was exciting enough, but the fans' ovation was quite unexpected - at least by Favre himself. Grudges may still be lingering for some fans, but today, there was nothing but jubilation and gratitude - from Favre and Packer Nation.

He is most deserving of the Hall of Fame. What he did for the Packers from '92 to '07 was nothing short of extraordinary. :ebert: :ebert:

http://media.jrn.com/images/660*413/b99539231z.1_20150716234953_000_gehbsc9r.1-1.jpg

As time passes, old wounds heal.

In the bigger picture and in hindsight, perhaps maybe neither the Packers nor Favre handled the matter well. And, let's be honest, if Green Bay didn't have Aaron Rodgers in the wings, it probably would have played out differently.

I am sure it was a nice day for Favre and Packer Nation. Deservedly so.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

In the bigger picture and in hindsight, perhaps maybe neither the Packers nor Favre handled the matter well. And, let's be honest, if Green Bay didn't have Aaron Rodgers in the wings, it probably would have played out differently.

When a long-time superstar player nears the end of the road, it is almost always an awkward situation for the team. In very few cases, the transition goes smoothly. Most of the time, the transition is not nice. Johnny Unitas was traded away with hardly any "Thank You" at all, from what I've read. Peyton Manning's departure was pretty good, although his neck injury made it a lot easier for the Colts.

What makes a player's departure so awkward/hostile is when the player reaches "Legendary" status. When the Legend starts outshining the player, then the team will usually be deemed the "Bad Guy" when they let the player go. That's one of the ugly aspects of pro sports.

When a long-time superstar player nears the end of the road, it is almost always an awkward situation for the team. In very few cases, the transition goes smoothly. Most of the time, the transition is not nice. Johnny Unitas was traded away with hardly any "Thank You" at all, from what I've read. Peyton Manning's departure was pretty good, although his neck injury made it a lot easier for the Colts.

What makes a player's departure so awkward/hostile is when the player reaches "Legendary" status. When the Legend starts outshining the player, then the team will usually be deemed the "Bad Guy" when they let the player go. That's one of the ugly aspects of pro sports.

The Unitas situation was especially bad. Then again, it's what you'd expect from Robert Irsay.

From what I've read I think Thompson handled the situation as well as it could be handled, and ended up with probably 15 years more of great QB play instead of one or two. I'm sure he followed the Branch Rickey dictum (and it's always nice to be able to use "dictum" in a post) that it's better to get rid of someone one year too soon than one year too late, and losing Rodgers would have been a major mistake. In fact, you could say about the Packers that it might well have wrecked 'em (or something like that :) )

From what I've read I think Thompson handled the situation as well as it could be handled, and ended up with probably 15 years more of great QB play instead of one or two. I'm sure he followed the Branch Rickey dictum (and it's always nice to be able to use "dictum" in a post) that it's better to get rid of someone one year too soon than one year too late, and losing Rodgers would have been a major mistake.

Every situation has its own unique set of circumstances. Sure, it would have been great to have Favre leave the Packers in a more predictable way, but you can't always get what you want!

Aaron Rodgers was 100% a Best Player Available selection in the 2005 Draft. There was no official timetable for Rodgers replacing Favre. In this particular case, Favre kept flip-flopping on his retirement and forced the issue. The Packers, like any other team, needed certainty. They needed to prepare for the 2008 season with no questions about their QB position.

So, yes, the Packers handled the situation as well as they could. When a player keeps changing his mind about playing, you make the decision for him. You move on with the next guy, and you don't look back.

But anyways, the ceremony yesterday was great. Whatever grudges and feuds that may have existed are all but extinguished now. All is well in PackerLand..... :) :) :)

• Like 1

From what I've read I think Thompson handled the situation as well as it could be handled, and ended up with probably 15 years more of great QB play instead of one or two. I'm sure he followed the Branch Rickey dictum (and it's always nice to be able to use "dictum" in a post) that it's better to get rid of someone one year too soon than one year too late, and losing Rodgers would have been a major mistake.

Every situation has its own unique set of circumstances. Sure, it would have been great to have Favre leave the Packers in a more predictable way, but you can't always get what you want!

Aaron Rodgers was 100% a Best Player Available selection in the 2005 Draft. There was no official timetable for Rodgers replacing Favre. In this particular case, Favre kept flip-flopping on his retirement and forced the issue. The Packers, like any other team, needed certainty. They needed to prepare for the 2008 season with no questions about their QB position.

So, yes, the Packers handled the situation as well as they could. When a player keeps changing his mind about playing, you make the decision for him. You move on with the next guy, and you don't look back.

But anyways, the ceremony yesterday was great. Whatever grudges and feuds that may have existed are all but extinguished now. All is well in PackerLand..... :) :) :)

One of the things that I have always found interesting was the Montana to KC thing as a model of how to handle this kind of situation. It went fairly smoothly, but it also seemed that everyone was on board. Montana understood his time had come to move on. SF respected Montana enough to let him choose his landing point and he wanted to go to a contender. KC was a contender and obviously willing to entertain a deal. What was unique there, though, was the connection Montana seemed to have with SF ownership. It was personal in a good way.

The Favre situation was a bit disastrous partly because you had more than one egomaniac involved. Looking back, I think they all realized they misplayed it. I read one recent article in which Favre said the moment that really stung was when, after he tried to come back and Green Bay rejected him in favor of Rodgers, he realized he was no longer good enough to play in Green Bay, but still good enough that Green Bay wanted him out of the NFC, let alone the NFC Central. I think there's a lot of truth there. I think that's probably why Favre hooked up with Minnesota as soon as he could. It turned into a "f*** me?, no, f*** YOU!" thing. It was personal in a bad way.

Alas, I hold to time and its healing properties.... Distance... Perspective... Appreciation.

• Like 1

The Favre situation was a bit disastrous partly because you had more than one egomaniac involved.

No, there was not. Favre was the only one. There is not one bit of evidence to suggest that anyone on the Packers had an "ego" problem.

I read one recent article in which Favre said the moment that really stung was when, after he tried to come back and Green Bay rejected him in favor of Rodgers, he realized he was no longer good enough to play in Green Bay, but still good enough that Green Bay wanted him out of the NFC, let alone the NFC Central.

That article is pure BS. The Packers never doubted Favre's ability to play. The Packers moved on with Aaron Rodgers specifically because Favre kept flip-flopping on retirement, and because of his antagonistic attitude when he returned to training camp.

Head Coach Mike McCarthy made the call on Brett Favre. This is an established fact. When Favre reported to training camp and tried to force the Packers to give him his job back, he had a one-on-one conversation with McCarthy. A day or two later, he was traded to the Jets. Coach McCarthy saw that Favre was not in the right frame of mind to be on the team, and he rightfully reported it to the Packers' General Manager, Ted Thompson.

The Packers traded Favre to an AFC team because that is what smart teams do. Whenever possible, you don't allow a very good player to join a division or conference rival. You trade him as far away as you can.

The Favre situation was a bit disastrous partly because you had more than one egomaniac involved.

No, there was not. Favre was the only one. There is not one bit of evidence to suggest that anyone on the Packers had an "ego" problem.

I read one recent article in which Favre said the moment that really stung was when, after he tried to come back and Green Bay rejected him in favor of Rodgers, he realized he was no longer good enough to play in Green Bay, but still good enough that Green Bay wanted him out of the NFC, let alone the NFC Central.

That article is pure BS. The Packers never doubted Favre's ability to play. The Packers moved on with Aaron Rodgers specifically because Favre kept flip-flopping on retirement, and because of his antagonistic attitude when he returned to training camp.

Head Coach Mike McCarthy made the call on Brett Favre. This is an established fact. When Favre reported to training camp and tried to force the Packers to give him his job back, he had a one-on-one conversation with McCarthy. A day or two later, he was traded to the Jets. Coach McCarthy saw that Favre was not in the right frame of mind to be on the team, and he rightfully reported it to the Packers' General Manager, Ted Thompson.

The Packers traded Favre to an AFC team because that is what smart teams do. Whenever possible, you don't allow a very good player to join a division or conference rival. You trade him as far away as you can.

As a Dolphin fan I thank you for trading Favre to the Jets. He was instrumental in the Dolphins march to the AFC East title with his week 17 performance (though to be fair he was battling injuries late in the year and the Jets wouldn't have been where they were without him.)

It's good to see. Being that he went to the Vikings I wasn't sure this would happen but glad it did. I wonder if Martin St. Louis can ever be brought back to Tampa though? I don't think I would support that...

Good point. Maybe I just assume all the head coaches are ego maniacal. I don't think you can make it to that level without having a strong sense of ego, so I might have that filter on.

Don't get me wrong, I don't fault the Packers for moving Favre. I would have been greatly worried by the flip-flopping and making the move was obviously easier knowing Rodgers was there. That said, I do get why an athlete like Favre would have been stung by being sent to a wasteland team. We (fans, teams, etc.) build these guys up to believe they are something above the fold. And then to yank that from them, even if a lot of it is their own doing, it's not crazy to understand how they get confused and angered by that.

Even with the Montana example, where you had a player that was accepting his fate and a team that was willing try to move him somewhere that made him happy.... he was sent to the other conference, but at least to a competitive squad. But that's because there was clearly a straight forward conversation between the player, coach, and management that occurred very early in the off-season. I am not sure that ever happened in Green Bay (in the context of a trade to what kind of team), but then again, Favre's timing didn't really give Green Bay a lot of options either.

Good point. Maybe I just assume all the head coaches are ego maniacal. I don't think you can make it to that level without having a strong sense of ego, so I might have that filter on.

Don't get me wrong, I don't fault the Packers for moving Favre. I would have been greatly worried by the flip-flopping and making the move was obviously easier knowing Rodgers was there. That said, I do get why an athlete like Favre would have been stung by being sent to a wasteland team. We (fans, teams, etc.) build these guys up to believe they are something above the fold. And then to yank that from them, even if a lot of it is their own doing, it's not crazy to understand how they get confused and angered by that.

Even with the Montana example, where you had a player that was accepting his fate and a team that was willing try to move him somewhere that made him happy.... he was sent to the other conference, but at least to a competitive squad. But that's because there was clearly a straight forward conversation between the player, coach, and management that occurred very early in the off-season. I am not sure that ever happened in Green Bay (in the context of a trade to what kind of team), but then again, Favre's timing didn't really give Green Bay a lot of options either.

Up here in PackerLand, many make the mistaken assumption that GM Ted Thompson has a huge ego, and that it caused the rift between the Packers and Favre. Thompson is a "love him or hate him" kind of guy. He doesn't reveal what he's doing with personnel, he keeps his plans to himself, and he's a little awkward in public situations. Above all, he is all business. He is supremely dedicated to his job, and he doesn't let fan and media opinion affect his job decisions.

For that, many irrational, passionate fans despise him......too bad for them! :LOL: :lol:

He's a no doubt first ballot hall of famer but he's the third best quarterback in franchise history. Simply, too many mistakes. Bart Starr and Aaron Rodgers are better qb's imo.

I despise that criticism of Favre.

The fact is that he put a lot of mediocre teams in position to win by taking risks. That was what made Favre special: his ability to make bold moves that elevated everyone around him. You throw out his mistakes, and you throw out his greatest moments along with.

• Like 1

He's a no doubt first ballot hall of famer but he's the third best quarterback in franchise history. Simply, too many mistakes. Bart Starr and Aaron Rodgers are better qb's imo.

The fact is that he put a lot of mediocre teams in position to win by taking risks. That was what made Favre special: his ability to make bold moves that elevated everyone around him. You throw out his mistakes, and you throw out his greatest moments along with.

He also ended the seasons of several good teams by taking those same risks. We can't throw out anything that he did - good or bad. Two sides to every coin. His career was a mixture of great plays and bone-headed plays. His ledger will show a net balance in the black, but his INT's are just as much a part of his legacy as his TD's. He still deserves to be in the Hall.....without a doubt.

He also ended the seasons of several good teams by taking those same risks. We can't throw out anything that he did - good or bad. Two sides to every coin. His career was a mixture of great plays and bone-headed plays. His ledger will show a net balance in the black, but his INT's are just as much a part of his legacy as his TD's. He still deserves to be in the Hall.....without a doubt.

I don't agree. I never thought those teams were that great.

The Packers throughout the early 00s were consistently offensively deficient. They never had a star runningback... their receivers were flops turned stars by their Quarterback. Donald Driver, Antonio Chatman, Robert Ferguson... they would've been mid pack recievers with anyone else under center. And then there were some real sieve defenses that constantly made the offense play from behind.

Favre made those Packer teams what they were. Without Brett Favre, the legacy of the Packers as a perennial contender would've been a legacy of an inconstant, mid-pack team. It's easy to pin the blame on the guy who threw the interception that ended the game... but why not pin responsibility on the defense that made him take a desperate risk?

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1