At what point do you think Geddy had his best voice?

YYZumbi

37 members have voted

1. 1. At what point do you think Geddy had his best voice?

• RUSH (Studio album + Tour)
    • Fly By Night (Studio album + Tour)
    • Caress Of Steel (Studio album + Tour)
    • 2112 (Studio album + Tour)
    • A Farewell To Kings (Studio album + Tour)
    • Hemispheres (Studio album + Tour)
    • Permanent Waves (Studio album + Tour)
    • Moving Pictures (Studio album + Tour)
    • Signals (Studio album + Tour)
    • Grace Under Pressure (Studio album + Tour)
    • Power Windows (Studio album + Tour)
    • Hold Your Fire (Studio album + Tour)
    • Presto (Studio album + Tour)
    • Roll The Bones (Studio album + Tour)
    • Counterparts (Studio album + Tour)
    • Test For Echo (Studio album + Tour)
    • My Favorite Headache (Studio album)
    • Vapor Trails (Studio album + Tour)
    • Feedback (Studio album + Tour)
    • Snakes & Arrows (Studio album + Tour)
    • Time Machine Tour (Tour)
    • Clockwork Angels (Studio album + Tour)
    • R40 Tour (Tour)

My vote will go to Test For Echo

His voice might have been most powerful around 2112 - Hemispheres. But he did not really have the skills back then on how to sing.

But during the Test For Echo Tour he is singing perfect! Both with a strong voice and skills!

• Like 1

I think he was pretty consistent on the studio albums up until Vapor Trails (where he was still good but no longer at his peak).

For live, I'll go with the Hold Your Fire tour. He sounds awesome on A Show of Hands and I really love his vocals on that album.

I don't think there's necessarily a best, that's personal opinion. He has had several different stages of voice development but I think his widest range was around Counterparts. Things started to decline around Vapor Trails.

This is another poll that is way too hard to pick just one. They all have levels of brilliance but with knowing that young Geddy was not so nice to old Geddy I will pick the Middlie of the pack from Moving Pictures to Counterparts. But in reality I love all the different stages of his voice
  • Like 1

To me it's Hemispheres through HYF. Live it was all good Thourgh VT tour. Snakes tour he was good but showing wear. then TM Tour Happend. Wowzer, lol

Mick

Signal for the TM - Time Stand Still footage...noooooooooo!

• Like 1

To me it's Hemispheres through HYF. Live it was all good Thourgh VT tour. Snakes tour he was good but showing wear. then TM Tour Happend. Wowzer, lol

Mick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuQhabV3gSk

Tee hee.

Mick

Dammit...I don't have the nerve to watch that today. lol

• Like 1

Mick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuQhabV3gSk

Tee hee.

Mick

As weird as it sounds I actually like that performance. Oh well.

• Like 1

The early 80s I'd go for: especially from "Signals" and stretching into "T4E"

Am currently listening to "Presto", and I have to say his voice is pretty outstanding, even though the album itself is sadly lacking

I don't think there's necessarily a best, that's personal opinion. He has had several different stages of voice development but I think his widest range was around Counterparts. Things started to decline around Vapor Trails.

Why do you say he had his widest range around Counterparts? If i remember from the bootlegs from that tour, he had a very hard time singing one of the seventies epics. Can't remember which one it was right now, and I don't have my stick handy to check.

His voice has changed a lot throughout the years.

I agree with the person here who said he was at his best around Permanent Waves. He could do things with his voice back then that you rarely heard later on. I'm thinking a lot of the trilling (or warble).

When I think of Geddy sounding his best, I think of him singing Freewill on the album. That is the Geddy Lee I always want to remember.

• Like 1

And even though I don't care much for Presto, I think his voice was excellent on that album as well.

In the nineties, he started to sound different and have trouble. It was a little at first, but that's when it started. If you listen to bootlegs from the nineties, you can hear it.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Why do you say he had his widest range around Counterparts? If i remember from the bootlegs from that tour, he had a very hard time singing one of the seventies epics. Can't remember which one it was right now, and I don't have my stick handy to check.

I say that because I think his voice had matured and it was before the decline. I'm not talking about his ability to sing the old stuff, but the general range and timbre of his voice.

Edited by EagleMoon