Your Favorite Part(s) of the Show

147 replies to this topic

#61 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42212 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:10 PM

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I just watched the Hemispheres Prelude/Cygnus X-1 from the Newark show.

Repeating myself often, but really - those of us who didn't get to a show owe a lot to those of you who filmed these shows for us.

Anyway, the light show for Cygnus X-1 was incredible.  I never noticed it before, but I've now watched various shows from the tour or individual songs enough to now concentrate on other things that I missed or didn't pay attention to before.

Sponsored Post

#62 jamie

jamie

The Biggest Thing Since Powdered TOST

• Members
  • 12162 posts
  • Interests:cats, dogs, sleeping, steve harris, bass players with long brown hair

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:05 AM

The entire show. Every bit of it.

#63 gypsy muse

gypsy muse

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:hiking, art, making stuff, reading, antique shopping

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:32 PM

Seeing Tom Sawyer & Camera eye & the Wreckers.  Learning to love Anarchist & coming to associate it with memories from this tour. I did NOT like the props moving though, too distracting.

#64 jjgittes

jjgittes

The Seeker

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:19 PM

from curtain up to curtain down- RUSH concerts are events  

If a Rush concert was a sporting event, it would be like an NHL game-you can't take your eyes off the action for a moment. Other group's shows are more like baseball games-you can easily find time for a potty break. Go see Paul McCartney or John Fogerty when they announce "here's a new one." Sort of like a 7th inning stretch. Of course, I have to admit that at the TM tour, when they announced Bu2B, I found it the perfect time to Go2P..

#65 FountainOfSyrinx

FountainOfSyrinx

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2152 posts
  • Interests:Univ. of Nebraska, Rush, the Dave Matthews Band, the Seattle Mariners, the Dallas Mavericks, and baseball in general.

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:21 PM

I get goosebumps any time I watch the intro video with the curtain coming up into The Anarchist. Sick, really. Awesome way to start the show. Had me saying 'Holy Shit!' in Lincoln because I opted not to follow on opening night...

The intro video was just really well done all the way around.

#66 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42212 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:46 AM

I liked it better when the show began with CA rather than The Anarchist.  But both songs are good.

#67 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14370 posts
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:28 PM

Lakeside Park or Losing It for me. Still can't believe they played them live.

In Greensboro, the man standing next to me actually dialed up his wife during Lakeside Park. They could see each other through the video phone call. He started crying because he proposed to his wife while listening to the song some 13 years ago. Incredible.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain, 31 August 2015 - 08:15 PM.

#68 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:49 PM

The 2nd set is the best ever.

I still feel having 3 songs off CA was a mistake. I think the boys have a great appreciation for those songs but most fans even die hard fans can take or leave CA. They should have only played 1 or 2 at the most.

Rush made RTB a great experience on R40. They could have found a song off Presto, T4E or Hold Your Fire to impress us in a different way.
If you are going to stick to 1 or 2 songs from every album, CA did not deserve 3...NOT on THIS tour.

#69 Xanadu

Xanadu

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1703 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:06 PM

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 31 August 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

The 2nd set is the best ever.

I still feel having 3 songs off CA was a mistake. I think the boys have a great appreciation for those songs but most fans even die hard fans can take or leave CA. They should have only played 1 or 2 at the most.

Rush made RTB a great experience on R40. They could have found a song off Presto, T4E or Hold Your Fire to impress us in a different way.
If you are going to stick to 1 or 2 songs from every album, CA did not deserve 3...NOT on THIS tour.

While the three they played were three of my favorites from CA, I agree. They just got through playing nine (?) on the CA tour. The only thing I can surmise is that CA, being their newest release, has had little live exposure because it is so new, and maybe that's why they gave it the extra song this go-around. :huh:

#70 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42212 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, but we just had the CA tour - two legs of it.

They could have played a song off of an album that was - well - ignored :laughing guy: on this tour.

#71 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:28 PM

I also realize they played 'Time Stands Still' at a handful of shows on R40....Wonder why it was randomly inserted?
Thoughts?

#72 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:35 PM

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 31 August 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

I'm guessing they played 3 from CA most nights as part of a give-and-take in terms of the setlist.  The guys obviously still enjoy playing newer material while they know most fans would prefer to hear stuff from the 70s and 80s.  So with this year's 2nd set, they were saying okay here are your epics, but we're still gonna play 20 minutes of CA material for US.

#73 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:36 PM

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 31 August 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

I also realize they played 'Time Stands Still' at a handful of shows on R40....Wonder why it was randomly inserted?
Thoughts?

No, they didn't.  TSS was last played on TM tour.

Edited by TexMike, 31 August 2015 - 01:39 PM.

#74 Xanadu

Xanadu

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1703 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:57 PM

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 31 August 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

Thoughts?

:smoke:

#75 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:51 PM

It was fantastic hearing the Clockwork Angels songs they played. It's their newest album, they think very highly of it (as do many of us here), and it had every "right" to get as much play as it did.

#76 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14370 posts
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:55 PM

View Postx1yyz, on 31 August 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

It was fantastic hearing the Clockwork Angels songs they played. It's their newest album, they think very highly of it (as do many of us here), and it had every "right" to get as much play as it did.
Amen sister!

#77 rftag

rftag

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, science, philosophy, wildlife, skepticism, belief systems, consciousness

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:30 PM

View PostThat One Guy, on 18 July 2015 - 03:58 PM, said:

What are yours?

For me, the surprise triple-threat of Hemispheres Prelude, Xanadu, and Cygnus X-1 was amazing.

I also loved the Trailer Park Boys appearance in the Roll The Bones video.

Also, the encore video and subsequent homage to themselves for the last few songs was great. Putting amps on chairs, just awesome.

Can't forget the barrage of ever-increasing washing machines and amps during the songs either :lol:

All of the above, minus Roll The Bones (always considered that song the very worst of Rush).

Lakeside Park and Anthem were unexpected gems, especially when Geddy had said in the recent past that he hated Lakeside Park (and indeed anything prior to 2112!).

#78 Text For Echo

Text For Echo

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Music, drugs, sex, cooking, doom, dogs, cats, showers, etc...

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:41 PM

The drum solo during Cygnus X-1.  I thought it was Neil's most intense solo I'd ever heard.

#79 graxxus

graxxus

The Seeker

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Shirling

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:39 AM

For the first set I found Distant Early Warning to be very powerful. The crowd really got into it. Second set, Jacob's Ladder. Just amazing.

My favorite part overall was the walk backwards through time. How the songs went from heavily layered to more and more sparse was genius!

#80 NARPETS11236

NARPETS11236

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:RUSH

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:03 PM

Even though the stage effects including the amps were fake due to the fact that their amplification is run through the venue's PA system,the show was fantastic and still gave me goosebumps(good ones!). Funny I get them every time I listen to Soliloquy from 2112 on  "All the world's a stage".

I can't list all the shows I have seen.Suffice to say that I have seen Rush every tour,every year in the Ne York,New Jersey,Montreal Canada area since my first on 4-6-1979 at Nassau Coliseum and ending 6-29-2015 at Madison Square Garden.I have seen them multiple times during these tours including 3 nights at Radio City during their Grace Under Pressure tour. Every show was an experience,a landmark and a very special time shared with friends.
                                                                                  God bless Rush and all my fellow Rush fans~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users