#21 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10260 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostXanadu, on 20 July 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 18 July 2015 - 04:53 PM, said:

I love this show design more than anything since the Presto bunnies.  Only annoying thing is the guys taking the amps away during the songs.

Yeah, it gets a little distracting at times, but their decision to do it was pure genius, if only due to the fact that they have a lot less work to do when the show is finally over. :lol:

Actually I think it creates more work. All those props have to be packed up and unpacked, loaded and unloaded, etc. I think its kind of cool and not really distracting because they arent interfering with the guys up there. They are in costume. They are part of the show. It reminds me of the Talking Heads Stop Making Sense show where they began with a bare stage and just a boom box for a prop and bulit the stage up during the show.

Sponsored Post

#22 Disk98

Disk98

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3909 posts
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:21 PM

One word: Xanadu.

Two words: double necks.

Three words: best show ever!

#23 TFEman

TFEman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Rush, guitar, drums, tv, food

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

Yeah Cygnus X-1 was amazing. For me, it really was the 3rd part of CX1 right after the drum solo. With all the special effects, it was insane. I loved One Little Victory and of course The Anarchist was great to hear again

#24 toadbrother

toadbrother

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:16 PM

View PostDisk98, on 20 July 2015 - 01:21 PM, said:

One word: Xanadu.

Two words: double necks.

Three words: best show ever!

Yup. Saw them in Vancouver on Friday. When Alex started playing the opening notes of Xanadu, Rogers Arena suddenly turned into a Prog Cathedral. My absolute favorite Rush song, and not only did they play it, but they played it flawlessly. It was like I was watching the ESL version, it was that good. Alex was brilliant, Geddy was singing like he did thirty years ago, and Neil nailing every percussive detail.

I said it elsewhere, but if this is really it for Rush, it makes me feel sad, but if they are indeed hanging it up, this is the show to do it on. I've seen Pink Floyd, with the monster gimmicks that come along with that kind of show, but what I saw last Friday was the greatest concert experience of my life.

#25 Rhyta

Rhyta

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:40 PM

There is so much to love!   The start with great songs from Clockwork Angels, people waving their hands as if to fly :yes:  My favs from S&A then wham OLV :Neil: .  It was fascinating to watch them go back in time.  I never had seen them play Xanadu live, cool to see Neil and the tubular bells and the doublenecks :D  Same with Jacob's Ladder, beautiful.  The lasers were fascinating to watch and came down so close over our heads I almost wanted to reach up and touch them.  Of course their skits and bloopers were hilarious.  So so glad I got to see this tour, hope the DVD will do it justice because I will want to watch it a lot :ebert:

#26 That One Guy

That One Guy

Straight Outta Sunnyvale

• Members *
  • 21581 posts
  • Interests:Buyin' a Jeep Wrangler, getting that 5th Utah national park in, going to Scotland, returning to Canada, Devin Townsend, doin' good

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:44 PM

View PostRhyta, on 20 July 2015 - 11:40 PM, said:

There is so much to love!   The start with great songs from Clockwork Angels, people waving their hands as if to fly :yes:  My favs from S&A then wham OLV :Neil: .  It was fascinating to watch them go back in time.  I never had seen them play Xanadu live, cool to see Neil and the tubular bells and the doublenecks :D  Same with Jacob's Ladder, beautiful.  The lasers were fascinating to watch and came down so close over our heads I almost wanted to reach up and touch them.  Of course their skits and bloopers were hilarious.  So so glad I got to see this tour, hope the DVD will do it justice because I will want to watch it a lot :ebert:
The Maverik Center show was good! Trying to get a drink at those bars beforehand however...

#27 hcm

hcm

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

I really loved the whole show, the backwards progression of time and props, the music choices, the light show, the videos...seriously I wish I could have gone to more venues.  It is so hard to take it all in during just one show.  I loved the high school theme at the end, I have been saying for years I wish they would just let the guys up there and let them play...watching their fingers fly across the strings was amazing, and the blur of drumsticks...wow, just wow.

#28 hcm

hcm

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

I get all teary eyed just thinking about what a great time I had at the shows this year and to think that might be it....oy!

#29 That One Guy

That One Guy

Straight Outta Sunnyvale

• Members *
  • 21581 posts
  • Interests:Buyin' a Jeep Wrangler, getting that 5th Utah national park in, going to Scotland, returning to Canada, Devin Townsend, doin' good

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

View Posthcm, on 21 July 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

I get all teary eyed just thinking about what a great time I had at the shows this year and to think that might be it....oy!
I wish I would've made it to more than one.

Hopeful for a second leg!

#30 willowroolz

willowroolz

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1384 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:29 PM

I'm just back home in the UK from the Calgary and Vancouver shows.  Over the two shows they played nine songs I hadn't seen them play before, apart from brief instrumental excerpts of some in the R30 Overture, and not counting the snippet of Garden Road.  Loved the RtB rap video - Tyrion!! :D But - as much as I loved the first set - it was everything from Subdivisions onwards that made it better than special for me.  It was like a musical walk through my teenage years.  It was thrilling.  It was wonderful.  And we got Losing It in Vancouver, which just put the icing on the cake.  If those were the last times I get to see them . . .  Well, all I can say is:  Alex, Geddy, Neil - thank you for the music.

#31 That One Guy

That One Guy

Straight Outta Sunnyvale

• Members *
  • 21581 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

View Postwillowroolz, on 21 July 2015 - 02:29 PM, said:

I'm just back home in the UK from the Calgary and Vancouver shows.  Over the two shows they played nine songs I hadn't seen them play before, apart from brief instrumental excerpts of some in the R30 Overture, and not counting the snippet of Garden Road.  Loved the RtB rap video - Tyrion!! :D    But - as much as I loved the first set - it was everything from Subdivisions onwards that made it better than special for me.  It was like a musical walk through my teenage years.  It was thrilling.  It was wonderful.  And we got Losing It in Vancouver, which just put the icing on the cake.  If those were the last times I get to see them . . .  Well, all I can say is:  Alex, Geddy, Neil - thank you for the music.
I absolutely loved the reverse chronological presentation

#32 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:46 PM

It's all good, but the stretch from Jacob's Ladder through 2112 is the magical peak for me.

#33 That One Guy

That One Guy

Straight Outta Sunnyvale

• Members *
  • 21581 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:20 PM

View PostTexMike, on 22 July 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

It's all good, but the stretch from Jacob's Ladder through 2112 is the magical peak for me.
Virtually everyone says the same. I'm sure The Boys went "Oh they're gonna love this" when they picked out those songs in a row.

#34 stone and a hard place

stone and a hard place

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 968 posts
  • Interests:rush

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

Watching my two teenaged children totally hypnotised by the classic songs from the 70's--the lasers blew their minds I think, they couldn't stop talking about them after.

I loved the concept of moving back in time--but the stage hands were distracting at times.

If it is the last show I see--it was well worth it.

#35 Hemispheres4Echo

Hemispheres4Echo

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2278 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading, writing

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:55 PM

I watched videos from the Houston show the other day and I noticed that after Neil's drum solo in the second set Geddy said "The professor on the drums" just like he did in the 70s. I thought that was quite cool.

I think the best part of the show is the second set and the encore.

#36 Merely Space

Merely Space

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3951 posts
  • Interests:Acting, music, gaming, model making, military history.

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:21 PM

One of the great things about this show  is that, although they had an imposed order (reverse chronological), they worked inside that framework to still give an arc of excitement to the show.  It had a nice build in the first set, with Subdivisions leaving us hungry for the second set.  The second set was pure stratosphere, yet kept building to a peak.  The encore closed out strong.

#37 jimmylerxst

jimmylerxst

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Skiing, Golf, Football

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:01 AM

The return of the laser show was awesome. I thought the Giant cardboard cutout of Kiss was funny. Seeing them play the Hemispheres prelude was definitely a highlight for me.

#38 That One Guy

That One Guy

Straight Outta Sunnyvale

• Members *
  • 21581 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:34 PM

View Postjimmylerxst, on 27 July 2015 - 03:01 AM, said:

Hemispheres prelude
/thread

I'm amazed he pulled it off so well. Seemingly better than in 1994.

#39 custom55

custom55

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6020 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

On deck shows:

Phish - Dec
    Robert Plant - Feb
    The Musical Box w/LeGorLaTroy - Feb
    Robin Trower - Mar
    Foo Fighters - Jul

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:12 PM

This, for sure. SO HEAVY

#40 TFEman

TFEman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Rush, guitar, drums, tv, food

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:30 PM

I saw setlist C and I really loved YYZ and the lasers. I'm sad I din't see Red Barchetta or The Camera Eye, but YYZ was still awesome. As for Hemispheres, it was okay, I'm still not a big fan of it being a step down.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users