All The World´s A Stage VS Exit... Stage Left VS A Show Of Hands

YYZumbi

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which live album gets your vote?

• All The World´s A Stage
    • Exit... Stage Left
    • A Show Of Hands

All the World's a Stage is easily the best of the three, while A Show of Hands is by far the worst.

Why do you think A Show Of Hands is so bad? I am listening to it right now, and it sounds great!

• Like 1

All the World's a Stage is easily the best of the three, while A Show of Hands is by far the worst.

Why do you think A Show Of Hands is so bad? I am listening to it right now, and it sounds great!

I don't think that it's bad. I think that it's by far the worst of the three.

It isn't as impressive sonically as ATWAS, and its song selection isn't as strong as ESL's.

I don't think that it's bad. I think that it's by far the worst of the three.

It isn't as impressive sonically as ATWAS, and its song selection isn't as strong as ESL's.

All right. Then I know!

ESL is barely a live album and if you enjoy a best of album up until that period in their careers then its for you. I have it but wouldn't and didn't listen to it much even back in the day... :codger: Edited by Narps

ATWAS all day long...and as many times as you want on Sunday.

I still love the other two, too. But nothing beats the original!

• Like 2

I´m glad you only have these three as choices in the poll, as they are the most remarkable ones. After a while their live albums (and it´s the same with most bands, to be honest) became more-of-the-same, even with different setlists, themes and ideas. I can´t really vote and pick one, because all three serve different purposes. The first one shows quite a raw band, with a noticeable sense of redemption after 2112 became such a hit. It´s a testament to Rush´s establishment as a profitable band. When it comes to ESL, I don´t find it as mechanical and artificial as Narpski points out, even though a handful of songs are way too similar to the studio versions. But hey, it´s got Bangkoc, a killer version of La Villa and the crispiest, tightest version of Tom Sawyer you´ll ever find. ASOH is good fun. As a friend of mine said, it´s an "easily digestible" live album. I guess he was referring to the lack of tracks with "part I", "part II", long jams or anything of sorts. It´s full of one-two punches from the very beginning - I used to have The Big Money +Subdivisions on my tapes for years. Turn the Page, Marathon, Mystic Rhythms...all great versions. So really, I can´t pick one.

The only official live recording I would dare mention with All The World's A Stage is Disc 3 of Different Stages

What I was gonna say. Disc three off the Different Stages album is awesome!!! Too bad it wasn't a choice...

• Like 1

Entre, and for anyone else, who wanted to know if there were any other "Rush - All the World's A Stage Vs. Exit...Stage Left" threads in the "Feedback" section of the forums.  From these two threads, I "copy and paste" the two links in here.  I've liked "All the World's A Stage", "Exit...Stage Left", "A Show of Hands", and "Different Stages" the same.

https://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/91964-all-the-world´s-a-stage-vs-exit-stage-left-vs-a-show-of-hands/page/3/#comment-3460083

https://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/92166-all-the-world´s-a-stage-vs-exit-stage-left-vs-different-stages/page/2/#comments

Edited by Derek19

ESL for me.

Song selection is the best of the 3.

Geddy's voice is in the best form - not as raw and edgy as on ATWAS (which is great in its own way) and not as brittle as on ASOH.

Neil's drums sound the best on ESL...and the drum solo...well, there's no competition as to which is the best of the 3.

I know lots of people find ESL "too sterile"...a description I would give ASOH.  That record sounds devoid of soul to me.  As an example, I do not particularly enjoy Closer To The Heart - it's fine and all, but not a song I would ever seek out to listen to on its own.  The ESL version has a certain magic to it that makes it listenable to me.  The ASOH version is the most going-though-the-motions thing I can imagine.  It's clear to me that they're only playing because the have to, and all the really wanna do is get to the end so they can jam on those 3 chords over and over.  Ugh.  ESL overall has a warmth to it, a coziness that I find to be a feature of its sound, not a detriment.  

ATWAS is a close second for me, because it is such a good representation of them at the time, and I adored it growing up, playing it over and over.  But I have to admit I don't fire it up much anymore.