David Gilmour

Tom Sawyer

My two favorite guitarist in the WHOLE world!

Are they not the best two stringsters in all the land?

I don't really like to say either is better, they both play with such passion and precision...

Can it be a tie?!

As good as Lifeson, Gilmour edges him out in my book. I dont know of any other guitarist that plays with the same level of emotion that gilmour does. That being said, I also rank Pete Townshend just slightly behind Gilmour. Alex trails in 3rd in terms of my favorite guitar gods.

QUOTE (pinkfloyd1973 @ Aug 19 2005, 07:53 PM)

I don't really like to say either is better, they both play with such passion and precision...

Can it be a tie?!

There are plenty of people who exceed them both in skill; John McLaughlin for one.

But they're both equally awesome IMO. Gilmour's the better singer though! laugh.gif

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Aug 19 2005, 09:16 PM)

Can it be a tie?!

There are plenty of people who exceed them both in skill; John McLaughlin for one.

But they're both equally awesome IMO. Gilmour's the better singer though! laugh.gif

If you're going by skill, then Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen are better guitar players. Thats not the only factor you have to judge them on though wink.gif

QUOTE (pinkfloyd1973 @ Aug 19 2005, 10:53 PM)

Can it be a tie?!

Since Jerry Garcia died ten years ago, I agree. wink.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Aug 19 2005, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Aug 19 2005, 09:16 PM)

Can it be a tie?!

If you're going by skill, then Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen are better guitar players. Thats not the only factor you have to judge them on though wink.gif

Yeah.

But McLaughlin was much more innovative as a guitar player, and more accomplished. He conquered progressive jazz and moved on to hard rock-fusion.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Aug 20 2005, 12:59 AM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Aug 20 2005, 12:19 AM)
I must confess, I've never heard of him, where might I hear some of his stuff?

rofl3.gif He plays with Pink Floyd.

Oh, maybe you meant Alex Lifeson! He plays with Rush, a band out of Cananda. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Aug 19 2005, 09:19 PM)

A household name since the early '70s, John McLaughlin was an innovative fusion guitarist when he led the Mahavishnu Orchestra and continued living up to his reputation as a phenomenal and consistently inquisitive player through the years. He started on guitar when he was 11 and was initially inspired by blues and swing players. McLaughlin worked with Alexis Korner, Graham Bond, Ginger Baker, and others in the 1960s and played free jazz with Gunter Hampel for six months. His first album was a classic (1969's Extrapolation) and was followed by an obscurity for the Dawns label with John Surman, a quintet set with Larry Young (Devotion), and My Goals Beyond in 1970 which was half acoustic solos and half jams involving Indian musicians.

In 1969, McLaughlin moved to New York to play with Tony Williams' Lifetime and he appeared on two classic Miles Davis records: In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew. In 1971, McLaughlin formed the Mahavishnu Orchestra, a very powerful group often thought of as rock but having the sophisticated improvisations of jazz. After three influential albums (The Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire, and Between Nothingness and Eternity), the group disbanded in 1973. McLaughlin, who recorded a powerful spiritual album with Carlos Santana that was influenced by John Coltrane, put together a new Mahavishnu Orchestra in 1974 that, despite the inclusion of Jean-Luc Ponty, failed to catch on and broke up by 1975. McLaughlin then surprised the music world by radically shifting directions, switching to acoustic guitar and playing Indian music with his group Shakti. They made a strong impact on the world music scene (which was in its infancy) during their three years. McLaughlin then went back and forth between electric and acoustic guitars; leading the One Truth Band; playing in trios with Al DiMeola and Paco De Lucia; popping up on some mid-'80s Miles Davis records; forming a short-lived third version of the Mahavishnu Orchestra (with saxophonist Bill Evans); recording an introspective tribute to pianist Bill Evans; and, in 1993, touring with a rollicking jazz trio featuring Joey DeFrancesco and drummer Dennis Chambers. Throughout his productive career John McLaughlin has recorded as a leader for Marmalade, Dawns, Douglas International, Columbia, Warner Bros., and Verve.

From allmusic.com

http://www.e-rockworld.com/images/mclaughlin.jpg

http://www.czech-tv.cz/program/porady/1102269786/foto/20338252370.jpg

http://www.musicclub.it/ottobre2000/images/johnmcla.ugh.jpg

He's my favorite if you couldn't tell. smile.gif

Incidentally, while we're on the subject of Dave Gilmour, I've found a video clip of him doing Comfortably Numb with kate Bush. The quality is poor, but its certainly interesting. I'll try and find some of way of making it available for all who are interested.

Among others, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew and Michael Schenker are equally awesome IMO.

I'll have to check that John McLaughlin person's work... something tells me my dad might have a vinyl or two (or ten) where he plays.

In another thread someplace, (on CP I think) I mentioned that I would love David Gilmour to produce Rush's next album. What do ya think?

He produced the Dream Academy in the mid-80's and their album is brilliant, imo.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Aug 20 2005, 09:05 AM)
QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Aug 19 2005, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Aug 20 2005, 12:19 AM)

rofl3.gif He plays with Pink Floyd.

HA!!! rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

No, it was McLaughlin I meant.

oops.gif

Like I've always said: 'Give me one good note instead of 1000'. Gilmour is the king of the one perfect note. All those speed/shredder guitarists should really take notes from Gilmour and slow down a bit.

BUT, they all play differnt styles of music so their styles work for their music. Can't really compare any of them in my mind.

Note: I still think Steve Vai is the most talented guitarist on the planet, and has been for the past 20 years.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Aug 20 2005, 10:21 AM)
Note: I still think Steve Vai is the most talented guitarist on the planet, and has been for the past 20 years.

I've tried to label people as "best" or "most talented" before, and it just didn't work out. I kept changing my mind on who was who! laugh.gif Or finding someone I thought was even more talented.

Steve Vai is amazing, though. He is a speed/shredder guitarist, at least back in the day, so maybe he should do the "one note thing" (one of Gilmour's solos on Animals actually was almost one note!) too, huh?

Steve Vai is amazing, though. He is a speed/shredder guitarist, at least back in the day, so maybe he should do the "one note thing" (one of Gilmour's solos on Animals actually was almost one note!) too, huh?

Hear! Hear! trink39.gif

Dave Gilmour is definitly one of the best slow hand guitarist in the likes of Eric Clapton and B.B. King. I have my respect and utmost worship for shredders like Steve Vai and Eddie Van Halen (Steve Vai being more amazing for being more creative) but those slow guitarist got the feeling that makes their solos stand out. Robert Fripp I think is an amazingly original guitarist but he is too he got a little too much ego for a guitarist. (We all need a little.)

QUOTE (Mongo @ Aug 21 2005, 03:46 AM)
...he got a little too much ego for a guitarist. (We all need a little.)

A LITTLE!!!!

I always thought the definition of the bassist was the man who hid behind the guitarist's ego biggrin.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 20 2005, 11:19 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Aug 20 2005, 02:21 PM)
Like I've always said: 'Give me one good note instead of 1000'. Gilmour is the king of the one perfect note.

yes.gif

Amen, brothers.

http://www.bruder-franziskus.de/pinkfloyd/bin/gilmour2.jpg

The winnah.

Archived