Should TRF uncensor "F*ck"?

Mr. Not

Should TRF uncensor "F*ck"?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should TRF uncensor "F*ck"?

• Yes, having it censored is f*cking pointless
    • No, it's good to maintain this family-friendly effort as it helps set the tone for board behavior
    • Yes (other reason)
    • No (other reason)

I don't give a shit. ;)

It's not like an asterisk over the letter U takes away the impact. I get my fill of saying it every day anyway.

I, personally, find it to be an everlasting inconvenience for all of us.

I don't give a shit. ;)

It's not like an asterisk over the letter U takes away the impact. I get my fill of saying it every day anyway.

How is it inconvenient?

It comes naturally to me to just be able to type out "f**k" on a website... Often times I need to remember "right, I'm on TRF, I need to to censor the 'u'... Let's try that again then... 'f*ck'... There we go"

to share a more detailed example:

I wanna die... I wanna die, I wanna die, I WANNA f***ing KILL MYSELF"

^ Notice how the "F*CKING" gets changed to "f***ing" unless I am sure to input "F*CKING" rather than "FU CKING" raw, without the space.

A minor annoyance? A minor inconvenience? Definitely. But still, a re-occurring one.

Edited by Mr. Not

I don't give a shit. ;)

How is it inconvenient?

It comes naturally to me to just be able to type out "f**k" on a website... Often times I need to remember "right, I'm on TRF, I need to to censor the 'u'... Let's try that again then... 'f*ck'... There we go"

^ Notice how the "F*CKING" gets changed to "f***ing" unless I am sure to input "F*CKING" rather than "FU CKING" raw, without the space.

A minor annoyance? A minor inconvenience? Definitely. But still, a re-occurring one.

Become a better typist because the rule/censor might not change but you can.

• Like 1

I don't understand why anyone needs to resort to those words to express what they want to say anyway. Four hundred thousand words in the English language, there are...and I don't know how many words there are in German, Portuguese, Swedish, Finnish, and however many other languages there are that TRF members speak...and you're hung up on those four letters?

Expand your mind a bit. Seriously.

• Like 5

f**k isn't censored. You just have to be special to be allowed to use it.

Well done, but encrypted characters are what I'd classify as inconvenient :LOL:

I don't understand why anyone needs to resort to those words to express what they want to say anyway. Four hundred thousand words in the English language, there are...and I don't know how many words there are in German, Portuguese, Swedish, Finnish, and however many other languages there are that TRF members speak...and you're hung up on those four letters?

F♂CK Y♂U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNw4PwVYzSs

Edited by Mr. Not

F♂CK Y♂U

I rest my case.

• Like 5

F♂CK Y♂U

I rest my case.

If you're denying that for many people "f*ck" is an all-encompassing English expression of anger/disappointment/dissatisfaction/sadness (and the list goes on...) then you're seriously deluding yourself.

This is a web forum, not a classroom... Sometimes, people here like to vent, or post silly inappropriate things... It's not always about trying to 1up one another with book smarts and eloquence, which is what you seem to be aiming at :LOL:

^ but this is something of a derail, the real question here is whether the censoring of f*ck shelters the young users here as well as promotes a friendlier board experience, or if it's just a futile measure and we'd be better off with it uncensored.

I wouldn't mind it being uncensored, but I definitely can live with putting the effort with self-censoring myself especially if I want to do it in all caps. I say that and many more of the seven dirty words WAY more than I probably should in a day.

I don't give a shit. ;)

How is it inconvenient?

With that kind of meticulous attention to detail, I can most definitely tell you're a Rush fan. ;)

I spell it wrong anyway, but that is my choice.

Nothing on this Board should make me want to be THAT descriptive.

But you never know...

F♂CK Y♂U

...the real question here is whether the censoring of f*ck shelters the young users here as well as promotes a friendlier board experience, or if it's just a futile measure and we'd be better off with it uncensored.

TRF was always meant to be family- and work-friendly. Not G-rated Disney friendly, but friendly enough that a young teen who got into Rush could come here and not feel out of place. That's the main reason for the word filters. We figured the adults who felt they needed to use such words (usually in service of a joke) would simply use the filtered versions and still get their f***ing point across. :)

Then there are the people who don't quite understand such a concept and need it explained to them, as Mr. Not ably demonstrates with this thread.

• Like 16

F♂CK Y♂U

...the real question here is whether the censoring of f*ck shelters the young users here as well as promotes a friendlier board experience, or if it's just a futile measure and we'd be better off with it uncensored.

TRF was always meant to be family- and work-friendly. Not G-rated Disney friendly, but friendly enough that a young teen who got into Rush could come here and not feel out of place. That's the main reason for the word filters. We figured the adults who felt they needed to use such words (usually in service of a joke) would simply use the filtered versions and still get their f***ing point across. :)

Then there are the people who don't quite understand such a concept and need it explained to them, as Mr. Not ably demonstrates with this thread.

We are not worthy of this mans wisdomness.

:notworthy:

• Like 1

We are not worthy of this mans wisdomness.

:notworthy:

Not MY wisdom. Establishing the tone of this board was a team concept from day one.

• Like 7

why the f**k not....

i feel it's just a word. it's the energy behind your words that give them meaning...

• Like 2