The Body Electric

Lorraine

52 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Body Electric?

I think it is alright although not one of the best songs from Grace Under Pressure. It kinda sticks out after the awesome Side 1 as a lesser song.

Having said that, I'm still taking The Body Electric over the awful Red Lenses any day of the week.

• Like 1

GUP is the album that got me into Rush so I give Body Electric a big thumbs up :ebert: I love its infectious bouncy rhythm and Ged's bass line is great :rush: :heart:
  • Like 4

LABT, you are not the first person here to say something like that. I keep reading over and over how a song, or an album, someone wasn't very fond of suddenly became a big favorite once they saw Rush do it in concert.

That has happened with many songs for me. Sometimes the live treatment gives it life from a more sterile studio version.

• Like 2

LABT, you are not the first person here to say something like that. I keep reading over and over how a song, or an album, someone wasn't very fond of suddenly became a big favorite once they saw Rush do it in concert.

That has happened with many songs for me. Sometimes the live treatment gives it life from a more sterile studio version.

I have no doubt that it does.

Also, I think seeing them live bonds (how I dislike that word, but it fits here) you to them in a way that nothing else can.

• Like 2

Didn't really like it till the CA Tour. Now I love it, like most everything on the last album before 27 years in the wilderness.

Maybe they should play Red Lenses and Half the World?

Well, if my username is to be believed, this is one of my very favorites. I think this is one of their best marriages of words to music, and it's probably the song that has had the biggest influence on me as a writer both musically and lyrically. (I write for the theater and I'm always, always writing songs about machines, the Singularity, et cetera. Incidentally, no, I am not yet raking in big bucks on the Broadway.)

Went absolutely nuts when the intro began live at the CA tour. I find this song so deeply moving. The verse lyrics and melody are just incredible. A great example of Neil putting his love of wordplay and fascination with science into a deeper, more emotional story and pulling it off better than he does almost anywhere else in the oeuvre. Few passages in all of Rush are as gut-wrenchingly moving to me as this:

Memory banks unloading, bytes break into bits.

Unit One's in trouble and it's scared out of its wits.

Guidance systems breakdown, struggle to exist -- to resist.

A pulse of dying power in a clenching plastic fist.

One of Geddy's finest deliveries.

• Like 3

I just feel so bad. :(

:hug2:

I honestly do. And I'm not even that attached to them like you and many others here are.

But I feel a slight void inside.

We need to get you some videos of this tour since you haven't been able to watch the periscope feeds at night like the rest of us.

• Like 1

A true masterwork of pop composition. The whole vibe of the song is one of the coolest things Rush has ever tuned into. The verses sway, the chorus punches, and the solo rips!
  • Like 2

Of course. People only dislike the chorus because they don't know what binary code is :LOL:

I'm not so sure about that. A person can know what Rocinante refers to but find its use in Cygnus X1 sophomoric, for example.