Most Underrated Song from Vapor Trails?

driven_to_xanadu

Most Underrated Song from Vapor Trails (Original or Remixed)  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Most Underrated Song from Vapor Trails (Original or Remixed)

• One Little Victory
    • Ceiling Unlimited
    • Ghost Rider
    • Peaceable Kingdom
    • The Stars Look Down
    • How It Is
    • Vapor Trail
    • Secret Touch
    • Earthshine
    • Sweet Miracle
    • Nocturne
    • Freeze
    • Out of the Cradle

I imposed a Rush penance on myself the other day. Listening to VT was part of it. I couldn't get past four songs. And the only reason I even got that far is because Ghost Rider was one of the songs.

There are only two good songs on the album - Ghost Rider and Secret Touch - and both of them contain probably the best lyrics Neil ever wrote.

I will agree with you on the second part, those songs are fantastic. When I heard the snippet of Secret Touch in Beyond the Lighted Stage, I had to find the album (I was a new fan then). Then I saw Rush in Rio and the songs from VT on it. I got the CD and it just blew me away, I am a big fan of this album. It is rough, loud and noisy but I feel like it was their way of breaking out of all the sadness that Neil went through. Maybe I love it for its imperfections but I listen to it often. (the remix is worse IMHO). I understand that many don't like it but I do.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

I imposed a Rush penance on myself the other day. Listening to VT was part of it. I couldn't get past four songs. And the only reason I even got that far is because Ghost Rider was one of the songs.

There are only two good songs on the album - Ghost Rider and Secret Touch - and both of them contain probably the best lyrics Neil ever wrote.

I will agree with you on the second part, those songs are fantastic. When I heard the snippet of Secret Touch in Beyond the Lighted Stage, I had to find the album. Then I saw Rush in Rio and the songs from VT on it. I got the CD and it just blew me away, I am a big fan of this album. It is rough, loud and noisy but I feel like it was their way of breaking out of all the sadness that Neil went through. Maybe I love it for its imperfections but I listen to it often. (the remix is worse IMHO). I understand that many don't like it but I do.

Rhyta, I think the remix is worse too. I like the original better.

Hope you had the time of your life Monday night and that it was loaded with memories that will last you a lifetime! :hug2:

• Like 1

The whole project lacked focus. But it IS important and it is immense. It buzzes and crackles. Al is totally unleashed but the songs arent there. I never liked Stars, How It Is or Sweet Miracle and time hasnt been good to those songs although when I got the remix I did open up to TSLD. Nocturne and Freeze are decent but to be honest I usually skip them. I wished they could have at least released a live version of CU Since they did play it live. I guess rhats a major reason I collect ROIOs.
  • Like 1

The album sound is very condensed. I don't know the correct terminology for what I am trying to say. It's like it was recorded in a two by four room. The sound isn't full and open. Don't know if that makes sense.

It does sound very muddy. That is the main reason that I can't listen to it. It sounds awful.

I know this is sort of a love VT Type theard.......but god i cannot stand this record. I'm not even referencing production so throw that aside. There for me just isn't a single note i enjoy here.

Awful.......i always come back to it......so don't give me that keep trying bull, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I can't reply, since Vapor Trails is their absolute worst album. Only good songs to me are: Secret Touch, Vapor Trail, One Little Victory, And The Stars Look Down and Ghost Rider.

Everything else is just...miserable. I kinda like How It Is, and Peaceable Kingdom though...

well...you did realize that you DID reply correct?

I don't understand why some people like to make such a point out of shitting all over things that other people love.

i for one was just stating an opinion. i have nothing against people that love VT.

Honestly ;)

Mick

• Like 2

I don't understand why some people like to make such a point out of shitting all over things that other people love.

i for one was just stating an opinion. i have nothing against people that love VT.

Honestly ;)

Mick

It's ok Mick, I still love ya even if you don't like VT (now Mr. Waits....that's another story :P )

• Like 1

Honestly ;)

Mick

It's certainly not a top Rush album for me, either- but I am finding some good things to say about individual songs on it, at least, whereas before I couldn't even go that far.

We should have a 'most underrated song on Snakes and Arrows' thread just for you, Mick!

• Like 2

Honestly ;)

Mick

It's certainly not a top Rush album for me, either- but I am finding some good things to say about individual songs on it, at least, whereas before I couldn't even go that far.

We should have a 'most underrated song on Snakes and Arrows' thread just for you, Mick!

lol. i'm listening to it now. i could say a lot on Snakes are underrated because of the treatment the poor lil guy get's lol.

but it would be an iteresting topic

Mick

• Like 1

Honestly ;)

Mick

lol. i'm listening to it now. i could say a lot on Snakes are underrated because of the treatment the poor lil guy get's lol.

Mick

I think there would be a fairly wide range of answers, too.

I'd go with Bravest Face. Seems like a lot of people dislike that song around here, and I can't figure out why. I like it a lot.

• Like 1

Stating an opinion that is different is "shitting" all over something? :unsure:

I don't understand why so many here have a problem with folks who don't think the same way they do. The funny thing about most of them is that I'm sure they would all call themselves liberal and open minded.

• Like 3

Honestly ;)

Mick

Mick

I'd go with Bravest Face. Seems like a lot of people dislike that song around here, and I can't figure out why. I like it a lot.

All right. I was mulling it over and Bravest face is my choice too.

great song.

oh and Spindrift. love that one.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

I don't understand why so many here have a problem with folks who don't think the same way they do.

I thought the contention was stated rather extremely, too.

• Like 3

I don't understand why so many here have a problem with folks who don't think the same way they do. The funny thing about most of them is that I'm sure they would all call themselves liberal and open minded.

absolutely every time the subject of vapor trails comes up this guy has to make sure to remind everyone how much he hates it. so fine but he comes in here and says right out that he knows this thread is for people who like it but he's going to tell us all yet again about how much he hates it. I don't have a problem with him hating the album, I have a problem with him incessantly being such a dick about it.

• Like 1

absolutely every time the subject of vapor trails comes up this guy has to make sure to remind everyone how much he hates it. so fine but he comes in here and says right out that he knows this thread is for people who like it but he's going to tell us all yet again about how much he hates it. I don't have a problem with him hating the album, I have a problem with him incessantly being such a dick about it.

if by this guy you're reffering to me.......say it to me. Yes i dislike it IMMENSLY. I noticed other people replying that way.......so i did too. I woulfd not have had i not seen it seemed to be ok to do so. so i voiced my view. Which is i dislike it. if you can't handle opinions maybe you should rethink a forum.

Food for thought.

Mick

But the thread isn't specifically for people who like the album. He wanted to know the most underrated song on the album. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Be that as it may, if you read the first page of comments, almost everyone who replied can't stand the album. I know how frustrating it is when you have a thread for lovers of either a song or an album and someone inevitably comes on to let you know how much they hate it, but this thread isn't set up like that. Unless I misunderstood his opening post.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

The whole damn album is UNDERRATED, The album is so cool, people have to clean out the wax------VAPOR TRAILS RULES :rush:

:bump:

Honestly ;)

Mick

Mick

YES. Bravest Face is (In my opinion) one of their best songs ever. However, I can see why some people don't like it. However, it is my favorite song since The Analog Kid by them...

• Like 1

I've been giving VT a good spin recently and I do think there is some good overlooked songs despite some mediocre stuff.

-snip-

That's a spoiler. Please edit your post.

I'd say the whole album, mostly because it's one of those albums that you'll almost never hear a song off of as a Rush fan who hasn't yet heard the album unless you watch a live DVD with VT stuff on it or go to a concert and happen to be exposed to it. Kina like PoW, most of these songs gain highly minimal attention individually, and frankly only slightly more as an album.