Alex's Black Strat Replica

TFEman

So the red strat thing didn't work (read the thread), but that doesn't mean I'm not going to build one, so I'm just going to build the black strat, which was affectionately named the 'Porkflapsocaster'.

Specs:

Squier Bullet Strat (I'm not messing with a better quality guitar yet)

Bill Lawrence USA L500L (I know it's not the ones Alex used, but I got it so I might as well try it)

Proline toggle switch

Fender vintage pickup covers

Warmoth Custom Pickguard

...and of course the waterslide decals for the name

The strat came today! It's a squier affinity, and my goodness the guitar is amazing. Everyone says you get what you pay for but I have played a few American Standards in my life and have to say I love the neck on this more than the american standards. Anyways, I'm almost done V1 of wiring (it took me 4 attempts over the course of 1 year to correctly wire my doubleneck). The only thing I'm witing on is drilling out a cavity for the 3 way switch and then testing everything out.

IMG_3432.JPG

IMG_3433.JPG

• Like 1

The wiring is finally complete after 3 failed attempts! I will post a diagram soon of the Hentor wiring, which is what I used (for anyone who doesn't know, all 3 of his custom strats from thee early 80's were all wired differently but the Hentor wiring is the only one known by anybody other than Alex).

IMG_3446.JPG

The wiring is finally complete after 3 failed attempts! I will post a diagram soon of the Hentor wiring, which is what I used (for anyone who doesn't know, all 3 of his custom strats from thee early 80's were all wired differently but the Hentor wiring is the only one known by anybody other than Alex).

IMG_3446.JPG

Nice fiddle!

You sure about Alex being the only one familiar with the Hentor's wiring?

LerxstLuthier comes to mind. Sayin'...

Nice fiddle!

You sure about Alex being the only one familiar with the Hentor's wiring?

LerxstLuthier comes to mind. Sayin'...

No, I believe he was saying that the other two, like the Porkflapsocaster, were not wired like the Hentor. I don't believe Freddie ever posted the wiring for it or the other one, whatever it was called. I think the Hentor Sportscaster is all that was revealed. I may have missed it, though.

Okay so after a quick pit stop for a wiring fix, the axe is ready to go, and despite not having an original L500, still sounds so good.

IMG_3449.JPGIMG_3452.JPGIMG_3450.JPGIMG_3451.JPG

Now I'm really itching to accurately build the Hentor. For now, I'm done building and acquiring guitars

Ouch,seems the toggle rout went beyond the pickguard outline!

Be good to hear it.

Know the feeling, too many guitars,too much building. Same as me. Sometimes it's better to spend more time actually playing them!

Yeah, I accidentally chipped the pain there and then drilled a little more paint off with a hole driller before noticing how far off I was, but it's not really that ban. None of the actual cavity is showing, just lost paint. Also, I think 9 guitars is enough for a while. I am really satisfied with what I have, for the first time in ages. My PRS and the new strat are really fun to play, and I have plenty of range in terms of different sounds. I don't need anything else..