Listened to the 1st album this morning

zappafrank

Honestly don't remember the last time I could say that I did. Such a good, solid ol' rock album.

Rutsey definitely had his moments of shine on the songs, RIP.

Often people will talk about how they were turned off of Rush b/c of the synth heavy 80's, but I wonder how many people got turned off b/c the band "started getting too arty farsty" or something along those lines.

"Side-long songs with multiple movements? Bells and chimes? Give me good ol' 'Before and After,' thankyouverymuch!!!"

Edited by zappafrank
  • Like 7

Oops, wrong forum. Can it be moved to the main forum?

It can be if an admin is paying attention. Drop 1001001 a PM if you really want it moved. It really should be you are correct. The thread probably won't get much love anyway being it is about a great debut album. Nobody wants to discuss it and I am beginning to believe half the folks here haven't even heard it and if they had it was maybe just once.... :sigh: :codger:
  • Like 2

I love the debut.

I love most of Rush's catalogue at least a little bit more.

But I love the debut, and Rutsey was certainly no slouch at the set. R.I.P.

• Like 3

Another Rush album that was written off by me when I first heard it in the 80's. Bought the remastered version several years ago and love the youthful energy of it. I'd be lying if I said I wish they would have made more albums like that though.

Yes...Here Again and Before and After are great tunes...

I life the funky groove of Need Some Love and Take a Friend...

Good old Rock-n-Roll...70's style.

What You're Doing is fun...and I guess the band agrees.

• Like 2

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy0005.gif

I was fearing this thread would be a diplomatic incident in need of the Rush ambassador

Nice to see some love :)

• Like 2

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy0005.gif

I was fearing this thread would be a diplomatic incident in need of the Rush ambassador

Nice to see some love :)

The Debut needs some love...

:haz:

• Like 3

Oops, wrong forum. Can it be moved to the main forum?

It can be if an admin is paying attention. Drop 1001001 a PM if you really want it moved. It really should be you are correct. The thread probably won't get much love anyway being it is about a great debut album. Nobody wants to discuss it and I am beginning to believe half the folks here haven't even heard it and if they had it was maybe just once.... :sigh: :codger:

Their debut album will always be amongst my favorite Rush albums. It was that album that first turned me onto Rush. Anyone that does not like it is just being a snob like Neil is. :P
  • Like 4

Honestly don't remember the last time I could say that I did. Such a good, solid ol' rock album.

Often people will talk about how they were turned off of Rush b/c of the synth heavy 80's, but I wonder how many people got turned off b/c the band "started getting too arty farsty" or something along those lines.

"Side-long songs with multiple movements? Bells and chimes? Give me good ol' 'Before and After,' thankyouverymuch!!!"

I actually love the sidelong suites; the synth period not so much. I think the period with the sidelong suites that might be deemed "artsy fartsy" by some is actually their prog period (basically from COS through Hemispheres), not the synth period (which is basically from Signals through - depending on who you talk to - either HYF or RTB).

But I also love the debut and think it's generally underrated. Rutsey obviously didn't have Neil's drumming chops and without Neil the lyrics are a lot less interesting, but it's a great hard rock album, and I think the comparisons to Zeppelin are seriously overstated. It's bluesy hard rock and early Zeppelin was bluesy hard rock; that's about where the similarity ends.

I think the standard line about this album - that it was a shameless Zeppelin clone- is ridiculous. It sounds the way it does because it was made in 1974. Doubtless Zeppelin was an influence but no more so than Cream or Hendrix or any number of other bands from the late 60s/early 70s who were playing bluesy hard rock whose influence is heard here.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 5

I actually love the sidelong suites; the synth period not so much. I think the period with the sidelong suites that might be deemed "artsy fartsy" by some is actually their prog period (basically from COS through Hemispheres), not the synth period (which is basically from Signals through - depending on who you talk to - either HYF or RTB).

I wasn't calling the mid/late 70's era the synth era. You have the debut, the slow movement towards "artsy farsty" in thw 70's (yes, progressive... I love prog; I use "artsy fartsy" just to describe how other s might have felt), then synth in the 80's.

My point was that the progressive stuff probably turned some people off after the debut and some more of the more straightforward stuff on FBN and what little there is on COS and 2112.

The debut is one of their best, the prog rats never give it its rightful due.

Here Again is an AWESOME track.

What got me to like Here Again so much was from some of the live versions I heard on some of the older boots...that was a nice "jam" song for them, especially since they played it a little slower than the album.