What is the best version of Freewill?

DistantEarlySignals

21 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite version of Freewill?

• Freewill from Permanent Waves
    • Freewill from Exit...Stage Left
    • Freewill from Different Stages
    • Freewill from Rush In Rio
    • Freewill from Snakes and Arrows Live
    • Freewill from Time Machine: Live In Cleveland
    • Freewill from a bootleg (Which one?)

Exit...Stage Left but it has crummy sound. I think Geddy sang it best back then though.

...they were born in lotus land.... :) Love the way he sings that line, especially on the album.

Also, the later versions sound slowed downed to me.

Edited by Lorraine

Exit...Stage Left but it has crummy sound. I think Geddy sang it best back then though.

...they were born in lotus land.... :) Love the way he sings that line, especially on the album.

Also, the later versions sound slowed downed to me.

S&A live in Rotterdam is extremely slowed down. That is why I love the bootleg version, since it is at or near the right tempo.

For me, the studio version is iconic- not just because of the vocal, either- the guitar solo and the jam in the middle leading to the crescendo the "each of us, a cell of awareness" bit is just...divine.

Freewill is one of their crowning achievements, equal to some of the lengthy epic songs. In my opinion.

• Like 4

For me, the studio version is iconic- not just because of the vocal, either- the guitar solo and the jam in the middle leading to the crescendo the "each of us, a cell of awareness" bit is just...divine.

Freewill is one of their crowning achievements, equal to some of the lengthy epic songs. In my opinion.

I agree with you.

• Like 4

I voted for ESL vesion, I love the studio version but I am a firm believer in the live sound being how the song was intended to be sung. On ESL it was still new material and there was alot more enjoyment for the boys to perform before it had transformed into a token hit that had to be played. You can still see they have an affinity for performing their newer material. Today of course that new material is the Clockwork Angels material, and you can see the difference when they perform those songs a opposed to Tom Sawyer or TSOR. Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

before it had transformed into a token hit that had to be played.

:o

All due respect, as I can see where you're coming from when it comes to their joy in playing their newest material. But I've NEVER thought of it as a 'token' anything. It's a masterpiece!