What got you hooked on RUSH?

DistantEarlySignals

Was All The World's A Stage for me too. That version of Bytor hooked me and still blows my mind to this day.

It's amazing, especially the guitar solo part in the middle.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, I would probably say "Stick It Out". I liked Rush and had seen them live on the PoW tour, but I was still more of a casual fan at the time I first heard SIO on the radio.

I was blown away by Alex's guitar tone (still arguably his best among the studio records) and decided I had to own CP. Then I went to see Rush again on the CP tour, which led to me digging into the back catalog I hadn't fully investigated before. At that point, you could say I got it and have followed the band with great interest ever since.

Though all 3 obviously play a part in making Rush the unique beast that it is, I would say Alex's guitar work is still the key ingredient that keeps me hooked.

Edited by TexMike
  • Like 1

Was All The World's A Stage for me too. That version of Bytor hooked me and still blows my mind to this day.

Narps would have loved your post! :cheers:

He is coming back soon. Read his profile.

Unless Trump doesn't win.

It's amazing, especially the guitar solo part in the middle.

I can smell the weed every time I play it. I bought ATWAS as my first Rush album without ever hearing them before. I was sold at first listen of Bastille Day. I never that instant connection with any other band.
  • Like 1

Spirit of Radio... Though I really loved Closer to the Heart, it was just one of many songs from many bands that I enjoyed at that point. Spirit of Radio was different though...the perfect song at the perfect point in my life. Hearing it changed the way I felt about what music could be and what it could mean to me. It pushed me over the edge and I knew this band was for me. Once Moving Pictures came out, I was a complete

write off.. I just knew in my heart that no band would affect me the way Rush would.

Edited by Phantom

my first album i got was a farewell to kings. that song hit me right off the bat, and then on came xanadu. wow!
  • Like 1

I was a young boy in Montreal and my parents had just gotten cable. The kind where it was hooked up to this box with 20 or so buttons that engaged and stayed down to select the channel you wanted. When you pressed down on another the one you had engaged would pop up. Not that many cable channels even existed yet, but I remember coming home from school and watching the channel that was reserved for Canada's first ever music channel, MuchMusic. Before it went live they played 5 or 6 videos on a loop and the only one I cared about and wanted to see every time was Distant Early Warning. I kept watching the video over and over again. It didn't hurt that I was about the same age as the boy in the video. It stuck with me forever and I became a RUSH fan then and there. Today Distant Early Warning isn't in my Top 20 favourite RUSH songs or even in my Top 4 from Grace Under Pressure, but back then seeing that video coming home from school was awesome. Edited by diatribein