What got you hooked on RUSH?

DistantEarlySignals

More than just one song, Geddy's voice did it for me

There is a saying about things in life being acquired tastes, or having to grow on you - this was NOT the case with Geddy - I loved him the second he started belting out "When they turn the pages of his-tory" !!!

• Like 1

More than just one song, Geddy's voice did it for me

There is a saying about things in life being acquired tastes, or having to grow on you - this was NOT the case with Geddy - I loved him the second he started belting out "When they turn the pages of his-tory" !!!

I have always wondered why some people absolutely hate his voice and some people love it. Doesn't seem like there's many people in the middle.

• Like 1

Not any one song. Just coming to appreciate the utterly unique sound that happens when they play together. Like 3 pieces of a jigsaw puzzle that connect together perfectly. Rush is one of those bands where you could put on any song and focus on any single member and what they're playing and be impressed, but all together it's pure magic. Gene Simmons probably summed it up best. "What kind of band is Rush? IT'S RUSH!"
  • Like 2

First album I heard was MP.

But what truly hooked me was Limelight. Magic, that song, simply magic!

• Like 2

My Uncle played me COS on vinyl. luckily it intriqued me. but in reality the album that me say this band is something and cemented my fandom was Permanent Waves. that was the album that made me say.......now we're getting somewhere.

Mick

Exit... Stage Left.

My older brother played drums along to it when I was too young to really care, but then when I listened to it years later there was this weird synapse connection thing that happened and it just clicked.

• Like 1

The epiphany I had about 3 years ago that they had more hit songs I liked than I even realized. Once I figured that out, I started digging into the deep cuts. Once I discovered that a lot of the deep cuts were even better than the hits, that was the end of it. Hook, line, and sinker.

My older brother bought Moving Pictures in '81.. (ya from the time he brought 'Machine Head' home a few years earlier, I had paid attention to his record puchases!)

I knew Rush listening to Test for Echo on the radio. After that, I knew Tom Sawyer and Closer to the Heart.

Then I purchased Exit... Stage Left and Vapor Trails.

In 2002 I saw their concert. And then definetly got into their music.

Their longer songs and multi-part suites really got me into Rush, beginning with a big ignition in 2112, Xanadu striking a further chord, and Cygnus X-1 (both parts) cementing me into forever being a fan Edited by Tom_Sawyer99
  • Like 1

When I was younger Rush started playing on the radio and my dad started telling me about them. He had a Roll The Bones CD so I gave it a listen. At the time I had really only heard R.E.M. and The B-52s and I thought Roll The Bones was great. Strangely enough it's my least favorite Rush album and the only one I dislike nowadays. :LOL: Edited by AnEggplant

Think it was some time in 1979, round at a friends house and he put on ATWAS....I was mesmerised and utterly hooked....when I bought the album for myself I wore out the vinyl.
  • Like 1