With their free time, Rush should release full length archival tour CD's/DVD's

zappafrank

Too bad they don't have their own record label a la Dream Theater, who have done this kind of thing, but I would think there's a big enough market at maybe the website or fan club level for complete shows, regardless of how many times the songs have already appeared elsewhere. Sometimes it's the overall atmosphere that matters, so a complete PW show, MP show should be great, despite the existence of ESL. Ditto for eras like Hemispheres and Signals that haven't been captured, or even more complete p/g and HYF shows, and even the warm-up shows that had early versions of songs.

Plus, Geddy and Alex are studio nuts, right? Maybe they'd really dig being able to work on stuff in that capacity.

Robert Fripp has more than embraced finding boots and cleaning them up for official release; maybe Rush could do the same as necessary.

Bene listening to Experience to Extremes (p/g) and Middletown Dreams (PoW) a lot lately. Would love to see them if that exists, and hear them all cleaned up.

honestly I love the boys but I do not think they are very good in the studio remastering music or DVDs they should let somebody else handle it like Steven Wilson
  • Like 2

honestly I love the boys but I do not think they are very good in the studio remastering music or DVDs they should let somebody else handle it like Steven Wilson

I agree, that would be great! He did a awesome job with the King Crimsons albums!

Too bad they don't have their own record label a la Dream Theater, who have done this kind of thing, but I would think there's a big enough market at maybe the website or fan club level for complete shows, regardless of how many times the songs have already appeared elsewhere. Sometimes it's the overall atmosphere that matters, so a complete PW show, MP show should be great, despite the existence of ESL. Ditto for eras like Hemispheres and Signals that haven't been captured, or even more complete p/g and HYF shows, and even the warm-up shows that had early versions of songs.

Plus, Geddy and Alex are studio nuts, right? Maybe they'd really dig being able to work on stuff in that capacity.

Robert Fripp has more than embraced finding boots and cleaning them up for official release; maybe Rush could do the same as necessary.

Bene listening to Experience to Extremes (p/g) and Middletown Dreams (PoW) a lot lately. Would love to see them if that exists, and hear them all cleaned up.

Moon Records was started in 1973 to put out the first album. It got them on Cleveland radio, before Mercury picked them up.

Anthem was started in 1977 by Ray Daniels for Rush.

http://www.anthementertainmentgroup.com/

Anyway, I agree with you. I'd love to see every tour hit DVD in some official capacity. I need an official Presto, Roll The Bones, Full PoW, Full GUP.

Just to clarify. Steven would only be good at remixing/mastering the audio. He's no video wizard like he is an audio master.

I think Rush will have to fully retire before this will happen and it may not happen then. There was a lot of expectations that Genesis were going to do this after their reunion tour but there has been nothing and that was seven years ago now.

I think Rush will have to fully retire before this will happen and it may not happen then. There was a lot of expectations that Genesis were going to do this after their reunion tour but there has been nothing and that was seven years ago now.

I just remember when the box set craze started way back, one of the guys made mention during an interview that "they haven't finished making new music, why put out a bunch of old stuff" or something to that effect....

I'm hoping that things get found and released as the years go on..

Just to clarify. Steven would only be good at remixing/mastering the audio. He's no video wizard like he is an audio master.

SW only does mix work. No mastering.

A lot of musicians either have no desire or outright dislike going back and listening to recordings from the past. As fans we hear the music differently. Where we hear emotion and edge, musicians hear mistakes and mistimings. Revisiting the past can be pretty uncomfortable in many different ways.

There's a pretty good story about the Dick's Picks series that the Grateful Dead put out. Phil Lesh kept nixing show after show for this or that. The project had ground pretty much to a halt and they called a meeting, Lesh wanted to know what the hold up was and everyone looked at him and said "YOU!" He threw up his hands and got out of the way, because to his ears, none of it was good enough.

That said, that's why a Steven Wilson is perfect for such projects if Rush were to release archival stuff...he has a much different ear, and conversely, he'd probably have a much more difficult time listening to a Porcupine Tree show.

Do they have this stuff in the vault? I was under the impression that everything that exists has been released, at least video-wise. There are probably some old live audio recordings somewhere but I wouldn't hold your breath for any archival videos we haven't already seen.

I think they did say they didn't really have anything left to release.

Do they have this stuff in the vault? I was under the impression that everything that exists has been released, at least video-wise. There are probably some old live audio recordings somewhere but I wouldn't hold your breath for any archival videos we haven't already seen.

I think they did say they didn't really have anything left to release.

They said that they have no "unused portions" sitting around...but I'd be willing to bet that soundcheck jams exist, tapes of alternate mixes, things that didn't work, that they reformatted exist.. Tapes that ran in the studio while they were recording exist (well if their engineers were worth their salt they ran a two track constantly for "wait...what did you just play?" situations where they could run back something) basically things that they would think wouldn't interest anyone, but we'd think was something neat to hear. Even early rough mixes of things.

Also there has to be miles of live tape from over the years sitting somewhere.

As far as the GD Dick's Picks thing...one article I read years back when they first started releasing them, was that they didn't think that people would be interested in BUYING them because their stuff was so readily available from a trading perspective, but when they released the first one, and it sold out in like no time flat, they thought "ok, maybe we're wrong"!?!?

I agree, that would be great! He did a awesome job with the King Crimsons albums!

Fripp's label puts out a huge amount of soundboard recordings from all eras of that band. I don't know if it's still available, but at one point a couple of years ago the all the shows from the Thrak tour could be purchased on KC's website for download. I've bought a few shows, including a real great one from 1974.

Fripp's label puts out a huge amount of soundboard recordings from all eras of that band. I don't know if it's still available, but at one point a couple of years ago the all the shows from the Thrak tour could be purchased on KC's website for download. I've bought a few shows, including a real great one from 1974.

Fripp goes hot and cold with his releases...sometimes his stuff comes out like crazy, other times it's tighter than hell!

I haven't followed his stuff for a while, none of his newer stuff really...and nothing for probably the last 8-10 years...

I had a few friends that took turns buying things and made copies for each other a few years back (Post THRAK years) because they couldn't keep up with the releases...as the "17 disc set was released"...they'd pool their money, and make copies for each other...not saying it was the most "ethical" thing to do, but it kept a lot of peace with their wives!

Steve Hackett has released a ton of live archive material over the years, and Genesis and Peter Gabriel released official bootleg CDs from their last tours. Really barebones packaging, but keeps costs low and offers a fantastic & affordable souvenir from "your" show.

I'd love for Rush to do this; find someone on the level of David Bottrill to polish up a board recording and put it out directly to fans who are interested. Who knows what the legal logistics are though (in terms of the record label).

• Like 1

I'd be happy enough if they stumbled upon the rest of the ESL show. You know they had to have originally filmed the whole thing.

Or even the other leftover stuff from the previous tour that they WERE going to release before they decided to go back into the studio...

here's what we need:

The complete Apollo 1980 show

The complete St Louis 1980 show

a complete soundboard Moving Pictures show (say Northlands Coliseum 1981)

a complete SIGNALS soundboard show

any different or live version of Fountain of Lamneth

a complete video from every tour from FTK-Signals (FTK, H, PeW, MP, Sig)

let's get started!

• Like 1

Weird that I've read about the hemispheres tour featuring video of the brain splitting into hemispheres etc...but never have seen a video nor photo documentation anywhere....even les claypool mentions remembering it....