R40 Kansas City Review #2

DirkPrattLerxst

Last night I had the pleasure to see Rush for the second time on their R40 Tour and the fourth time overall for me.

Before the show, the excitement was truly thick (pun intended.) At about 3:30 PM after checking into the hotel my dad and I walked over to The Dubliner Irish Pub for the pre-show meal. When we arrived we noticed the several other Rush fans in the restaurant dressed in Rush apparel. In the two and a half hours we were there more and more Rush fans piled in and by the time we left there was a wait to be seated. Animate, Tom Sawyer, Afterimage and The Enemy Within were played through the big speakers while we enjoyed being surrounded by other Rush geeks like us. We then walked over to the Sprint Center at about 6:15 and noticed that the Westboro Baptist Church decided not to show up to our amusement. We found our way to our seats on Geddy's side and listened to prog epics selected by Neil as the minutes ticked by. At about 7:50 PM (20 minutes after scheduled showtime) the lights went down and the best concert experience of my life began. "The world is...the world is..." was projected onto the giant curtain, showing how the trio has progressed over the past 40 years together, from the early raw rock/long hair days to the modern Rush we know today. The band found themselves in Kansas City (Our BBQ is better!), and the curtain was raised to reveal Neil pounding on his bass drums to the opening of "The Anarchist." They worked their way back through their discography, and as they went back, men in red jumpsuits began switching Clockwork Angels props with washing machines and setting up some amps with dinosaurs on them behind Alex. They closed the first set with "Subdivisions" after Alex talked to his dinosaurs while performing the 80's hit. When they returned for the second set, walls of amps were behind Alex and Geddy, and Neil had a new drum kit, which was a replica of good ol' Chromey. As they went farther back, the stage kept on morphing until it was made to look like a high school gym in 1974. There was never a dull moment in the show. Geddy jumped back and forth across the stage, Alex showed his incredible musicianship and goofiness, and Neil could be seen smiling and raising his water bottle to the crowd after his drum solo during "Cygnus X-1." They were simply on fire. The crowd was also great, no one forgot their air instruments and there were balloons bouncing around the arena. The reality of it probably being the last time I'd ever get to see them didn't settle in until Geddy said farewell and thank you to Kansas City. I felt sadness in my heart and sincerely hope that I'll see them again someday. They're too good to retire! If this is a farewell tour, it's one hell of a farewell.

Edited by DirkPrattLerxst
  • Like 7

Last night I had the pleasure to see Rush for the second time on their R40 Tour and the fourth time overall for me.

Before the show, the excitement was truly thick (pun intended.) At about 3:30 PM after checking into the hotel my dad and I walked over to The Dubliner Irish Pub for the pre-show meal. When we arrived we noticed the several other Rush fans in the restaurant dressed in Rush apparel. In the two and a half hours we were there more and more Rush fans piled in and by the time we left there was a wait to be seated. Animate, Tom Sawyer, Afterimage and The Enemy Within were played through the big speakers while we enjoyed being surrounded by other Rush geeks like us. We then walked over to the Sprint Center at about 6:15 and noticed that the Westboro Baptist Church decided not to show up to our amusement. We found our way to our seats on Geddy's side and listened to prog epics selected by Neil as the minutes ticked by. At about 7:50 PM (20 minutes after scheduled showtime) the lights went down and the best concert experience of my life began. "The world is...the world is..." was projected onto the giant curtain, showing how the trio has progressed over the past 40 years together, from the early raw rock/long hair days to the modern Rush we know today. The band found themselves in Kansas City (Our BBQ is better!), and the curtain was raised to reveal Neil pounding on his bass drums to the opening of "The Anarchist." They worked their way back through their discography, and as they went back, men in red jumpsuits began switching Clockwork Angels props with washing machines and setting up some amps with dinosaurs on them behind Alex. They closed the first set with "Subdivisions" after Alex talked to his dinosaurs while performing the 80's hit. When they returned for the second set, walls of amps were behind Alex and Geddy, and Neil had a new drum kit, which was a replica of good ol' Chromey. As they went farther back, the stage kept on morphing until it was made to look like a high school gym in 1974. There was never a dull moment in the show. Geddy jumped back and forth across the stage, Alex showed his incredible musicianship and goofiness, and Neil could be seen smiling and raising his water bottle to the crowd after his drum solo during "Cygnus X-1." The crowd was also great, no one forgot their air instruments and there were balloons bouncing around the arena. The reality of it probably being the last time I'd ever get to see them didn't settle in until Geddy said farewell and thank you to Kansas City. I felt sadness in my heart and sincerely hope that I'll see them again someday. If this is a farewell tour, it's one hell of a farewell.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gifhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gifhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gifhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by Lorraine

It must be a strange experience to be feeling almost contrary emotions at the same time, but I can certainly understand it.

Glad you had a great time, and you and your dad must have felt right at home in the pub with all of the other Rush fans.

It must be a strange experience to be feeling almost contrary emotions at the same time, but I can certainly understand it.

Glad you had a great time, and you and your dad must have felt right at home in the pub with all of the other Rush fans.

The best thing about Rush fans is that we're all united in our weirdness and love of three guys :LOL:

• Like 2

The best thing about Rush fans is that we're all united in our weirdness and love of three guys :LOL:

I believe that there is an instant bond.

Well done!

"They're too good to retire," but too tired to keep at this pace. I hope they take another good break, maybe release some new tunes, and find a way to play some shows throughout North America. Now that they seem comfortable with this tour, they are performing way too well and having too much fun to call it quits as long as their health is okay. .

• Like 1

Well done!

"They're too good to retire," but too tired to keep at this pace. I hope they take another good break, maybe release some new tunes, and find a way to play some shows throughout North America. Now that they seem comfortable with this tour, they are performing way too well and having too much fun to call it quits as long as their health is okay. .

I don't expect them to do another tour but really do hope they'll do a show in the Midwest again.

Before the show, the excitement was truly thick (pun intended.) At about 3:30 PM after checking into the hotel my dad and I walked over to The Dubliner Irish Pub for the pre-show meal. When we arrived we noticed the several other Rush fans in the restaurant dressed in Rush apparel. In the two and a half hours we were there more and more Rush fans piled in and by the time we left there was a wait to be seated. Animate, Tom Sawyer, Afterimage and The Enemy Within were played through the big speakers while we enjoyed being surrounded by other Rush geeks like us. We then walked over to the Sprint Center at about 6:15 and noticed that the Westboro Baptist Church decided not to show up to our amusement. We found our way to our seats on Geddy's side and listened to prog epics selected by Neil as the minutes ticked by. At about 7:50 PM (20 minutes after scheduled showtime) the lights went down and the best concert experience of my life began. "The world is...the world is..." was projected onto the giant curtain, showing how the trio has progressed over the past 40 years together, from the early raw rock/long hair days to the modern Rush we know today. The band found themselves in Kansas City (Our BBQ is better!), and the curtain was raised to reveal Neil pounding on his bass drums to the opening of "The Anarchist." They worked their way back through their discography, and as they went back, men in red jumpsuits began switching Clockwork Angels props with washing machines and setting up some amps with dinosaurs on them behind Alex. They closed the first set with "Subdivisions" after Alex talked to his dinosaurs while performing the 80's hit. When they returned for the second set, walls of amps were behind Alex and Geddy, and Neil had a new drum kit, which was a replica of good ol' Chromey. As they went farther back, the stage kept on morphing until it was made to look like a high school gym in 1974. There was never a dull moment in the show. Geddy jumped back and forth across the stage, Alex showed his incredible musicianship and goofiness, and Neil could be seen smiling and raising his water bottle to the crowd after his drum solo during "Cygnus X-1." They were simply on fire. The crowd was also great, no one forgot their air instruments and there were balloons bouncing around the arena. The reality of it probably being the last time I'd ever get to see them didn't settle in until Geddy said farewell and thank you to Kansas City. I felt sadness in my heart and sincerely hope that I'll see them again someday. They're too good to retire! If this is a farewell tour, it's one hell of a farewell.

Man thanks for sharing this DLP...really nice to know how the event struck you. Keep sharing your experiences as they hit you

Man thanks for sharing this DLP...really nice to know how the event struck you. Keep sharing your experiences as they hit you

It was a pleasure to share my experience and thank you for reading!