Disco

Okay, for some of us the 70's was not progressive rock or southern rock or any other kind of rock.

I, myself, remember the 70's as a singer-songwriter, disco dancing decade.

I liked disco music, and although people tend to dismiss it as cheese, I thought it was fun music. And it's origins came from a fusion of legitimate styles of music.

Vietnam was over and people were weary of all the protest marches, politics, etc... and were ready to go out on Saturday nights and have a fun, carefree evening of music and dancing.

I was listening to a station of past hits and really started to remember fondly some of those old tunes. One, in particular, "Heaven" (I think that's the title) I got into while driving home from work.

Disco as a musical style is different than the "image" and fads that resulted.

I'm not ashamed to say, I'm a huge fan!! I'm from Brooklyn where the music was just HUGE (well c'mon Slacker, it was tongue.gif ), and on top of that my older sister dated this guy whose brother was a DJ and the 8-track disco mixes they would keep playing around the house grew on me.

When I got older I did some DJing myself, and the collection I have of this stuff can't be touched. I love it.

Chic, Donna Summer, Patti Brooks, Peter Brown, Shalamar, Tavaras, A Taste of Honey, Earth Wind and Fire, Dazz Band, La Flavour, etc etc etc. AMAZING!!! And then there are the lesser known names like Cerrone's Love In C Minor which is 15 minutes of thumpin' and bumpin' complete with orgy segment --- or Musique's Keep On Jumpin' and In The Bush, or Odyssey's Native New Yorker, or Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band's Cherchez La Femme. This stuff is awesome.

I keep all this shit as MP3s now, so I can get to it whenever I feel the urge - which is less often than you may think laugh.gif. No matter - GREAT STUFF!!

It connects right along with my love for R&B/Dance stuff like SOS Band and the hundreds of names I'll avoid boring you with, as well as the 80's Freestyle Dance stuff that just KICKS ASS!!!!!

653.gif

Note: You know.... it's ok to like lots of styles of music. It really is. smile.gif

Hey, right on, Pags! (I see you've changed your user name tongue.gif )

Yeah, I figured that disco was big in Brooklyn. They filmed Saturday Night Fever there, afterall. smile.gif

I was big into Donna Summer back then and some of the other lesser known groups that had big hits.

I still cherish my 45's and some of my KTel and Ronco albums. Can't forget those.

Yeah, people slam disco, but it really was a musical innovation before it became more of a "fad" (Ethel Mermen's disco album, disco juke box on Burger King commercial, etc... rofl3.gif )

It was the overdone fad of disco that caused it's demise, not the music itself.

To me this falls into a particular way of thinking about music to me.

There are two kinds of music here (for the sake of argument) - music you listen to, and music you dance to.

Disco is great to dance to, and there is a lot of other top 40 kind of music out there that is great to dance to. Never EVER would I play this kind of music or be happy to hear it outside of a dance environment, because to listen to it on its own, it's just mindless fluff.

Music I sit around and listen to recreationally can occasionally be danceable (hell, you could dance to some Rush if you wanted to), but very, very rarely. Actually you could dance to some of it, but it would be VERY non-traditional dance music that most would stop dancing to.

I would make a horrible club DJ for this very reason. The music that you can dance to, I generally find almost completely worthless other than you can dance to it, and I could never play that music without feeling like I was comprimising my standards. If I ever had an audience to listen to music I enjoyed, it would be music I thought was high quality to listen to, not just to dance to.

That being said, dance music serves its purpose - if people like making it, good for them. If people like dancing to it (including me on occasion), good for them. If people like listening to it outside of dance situations, good for them too, but I'll never be one of you - I like my music to move me emotionally, mentally and spiritually, but not physically in that way.

Sorry if my opinions on this matter bug anyone - I know a lot of the musical views I've shared go contrary to how most people think, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm highly biased, extremely opinionated and somewhat snobbish about music, but I don't ever expect anyone to agree with me...

A lot of the disco music from the seventies you could just sit and listen to as opposed to the high power dance tunes you hear today.

Disco still incorporated a lot more melody. Today's versions seem to lack that. Disco had balanced rhythm and melody.

As far as "thinking" music and just ordinary "fun" tunes, I believe in listening to both.

Sometimes, I don't want to think, I just want to have fun tongue.gif

I love disco. unsure.gif

I just dance funny http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/dancingoof.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/dancingoof.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/dancingoof.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/dancingoof.gif

http://toons.artie.com/alphabet/ralph/arg-d-50-trans.gifhttp://toons.artie.com/alphabet/ralph/arg-i-50-trans.gifhttp://toons.artie.com/alphabet/ralph/arg-s-5O-tr.gifhttp://toons.artie.com/alphabet/ralph/arg-c-50-trans-url.gifhttp://toons.artie.com/alphabet/ralph/arg-o-5O-tRr-a-pl0ase-ns.gif

Consequently, I have met women who are the nicest, purest, most well respected, wholesome, and of highest morality and integrity on the dancefloor. yes.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 19 2005, 12:28 PM)
A lot of the disco music from the seventies you could just sit and listen to as opposed to the high power dance tunes you hear today.

Disco still incorporated a lot more melody. Today's versions seem to lack that. Disco had balanced rhythm and melody.

As far as "thinking" music and just ordinary "fun" tunes, I believe in listening to both.

Sometimes, I don't want to think, I just want to have fun tongue.gif

I was referring to the 70's stuff, and I've heard quite a bit of it. If you enjoy it as pure listening music, that's fine, even if I don't. Generally the "thinking" music you refer to is what really turns me on almost every time I want to listen to music.

I have music I put on when I want some mindless entertainment - I usually go for Kiss or Van Halen when I'm in those rare moods. You might not be able to dance to it, but that's my version of purely fun music with no thinking required. Dance/disco I generally find just annoying unless I'm dancing or it fits in well as part of the soundtrack to a tv show or a movie.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 19 2005, 03:11 PM)

There are two kinds of music here (for the sake of argument) - music you listen to, and music you dance to.

Disco is great to dance to, and there is a lot of other top 40 kind of music out there that is great to dance to.  Never EVER would I play this kind of music or be happy to hear it outside of a dance environment, because to listen to it on its own, it's just mindless fluff.

I would counter with there are two kinds of music. Good and Bad. I do like some disco but not very much. A lot of disco was shit just like todays dance music, but there are exceptions to be found.

In regards to your statement.

"There are two kinds of music here (for the sake of argument) - music you listen to, and music you dance to."

Goob, I know you are a fan of the Grateful Dead and so am I but I have never seen so many freaks dancing than at a Dead show. My favorite are the "spinners".

Lots of if not most Reggae is highly danceable. What about all the awesome funk like Rick James, P-Funk or James Brown? Hows about a little Tom Tom Club?

What about slam dancing?

I guess I am trying to say that in every genre/style of music certain groups are worthy of listening to and dancing to.

Open your mind and yours ears will follow.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 19 2005, 05:55 PM)
I was listening to a station of past hits and really started to remember fondly some of those old tunes. One, in particular, "Heaven" (I think that's the title) I got into while driving home from work.

Was it perchance "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel" by Tavares?

The were some good tracks from that era, although I must confess I never liked the Bee Gees Saturday Night Fever era. My faves from that era were -

The Gibson Brothers - Cuba

Imagination - Just An Illusion (Although that may have been 1980)

Earth Wind & Fire - Boogie Wonderland

Cerrone - Supernature

Donna Summer - I Feel Love

Baccara - Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Yarborough And Peoples - Don't Stop The Music

KC & The Sunshine Band - Queen Of Clubs

Odyssey - Native New Yorker

Funny thing is, at the time, I would have professed to have hated it, because I was a punk fan in my mid teens, but deep down I always liked it.

...hell, you could dance to some Rush if you wanted to...

Oh, I dance to Rush all the time. And at the shows last summer? Fugeddaboutit. laugh.gif I danced...esp. at the opener in Nashville. All the guys around me thought I was nuts. biggrin.gif

common001.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 19 2005, 04:51 PM)
Cerrone - Supernature

I just grabbed the 12" single on this one to make sure. 1982 (I was thinking 81 or 82). btw - one of the best records I own. nice pick

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif They are so great. Legends

Cerrone - Supernature

I've always been a much bigger fan of Love In C Minor. However, the fact that you even know who this guy is blows me away. 653.gif

One of the wildest and greatest songs in recorded history. I have this 8+ minute version where between verses they break down the song to just the beat track. Then, one sound effect layer at a time, they build the song back up. It's a mind bending experience, especially with headphones.

One of my personal lifetime favorite, Madra - as mentioned above. trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Aug 19 2005, 05:34 PM)
Boney M 1022.gif

I love their Christmas album too blush4.gif

Awesome, Dweez. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

You know who else has got a GREAT Christmas album.... The Salsoul Orchestra!!

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 19 2005, 10:26 PM)
Cerrone - Supernature

I've always been a much bigger fan of Love In C Minor. However, the fact that you even know who this guy is blows me away. 653.gif

In fairness, Supernature is the only track of his I know - it was a single over here. I must investigate Love In C-Minor though, I was always a sucker for electro.

By the way, there's a new band from Scandanavia called "Who Made Who", who are apparently set to revive classic disco single handedly. I'll be seeing them at the Electric Picnic in two weeks and I'll post a review. I suspect most people will think they're an AC/DC tribute band though!!!!!.

Oh, if we're all shortening our names, does that make me Mad???

ohmy.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 19 2005, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 19 2005, 10:26 PM)
Cerrone - Supernature

I've always been a much bigger fan of Love In C Minor.  However, the fact that you even know who this guy is blows me away.  653.gif

In fairness, Supernature is the only track of his I know - it was a single over here. I must investigate Love In C-Minor though, I was always a sucker for electro.

By the way, there's a new band from Scandanavia called "Who Made Who", who are apparently set to revive classic disco single handedly. I'll be seeing them at the Electric Picnic in two weeks and I'll post a review. I suspect most people will think they're an AC/DC tribute band though!!!!!.

Oh, if we're all shortening our names, does that make me Mad???

ohmy.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

You should have seen what it was earlier. Something like paganomanomanpaganomanomanomanpaganoman.

Yeah, I like that movie too, Warren!

Madra, I do believe the song I was referring to was Tavares. I was driving home yesterday and that song was on the radio. I was getting sick of our local classic rock station so I switched over to this station and just got into the music.

Pags,

I heard "Boogie...." by Taste of Honey today and thought of you because you mentioned them in your post. laugh.gif "get down....boogie oogie oogie" trink38.gif

Yarbrough and Peoples "Don't Stop the Music" is sort of post disco (1980) and is one of my longtime faves as well.

I think disco was born in New York and Miami, as there was a merging of the Latin beats in Miami, and so forth.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 19 2005, 12:49 PM)

Disco is great to dance to, and there is a lot of other top 40 kind of music out there that is great to dance to.  Never EVER would I play this kind of music or be happy to hear it outside of a dance environment, because to listen to it on its own, it's just mindless fluff.

I would counter with there are two kinds of music. Good and Bad. I do like some disco but not very much. A lot of disco was shit just like todays dance music, but there are exceptions to be found.

In regards to your statement.

"There are two kinds of music here (for the sake of argument) - music you listen to, and music you dance to."

Goob, I know you are a fan of the Grateful Dead and so am I but I have never seen so many freaks dancing than at a Dead show. My favorite are the "spinners".

Lots of if not most Reggae is highly danceable. What about all the awesome funk like Rick James, P-Funk or James Brown? Hows about a little Tom Tom Club?

What about slam dancing?

I guess I am trying to say that in every genre/style of music certain groups are worthy of listening to and dancing to.

Open your mind and yours ears will follow.

biggrin.gif

how could i forget about the Grateful Dead???!!!

well, here's the thing - yes, very dancable stuff, but it's far from traditional dance music as most people think of it - for example, go to a dance club and put on a live dead tape and unless it's a hippie club, people will STOP dancing. i guess i'm referring to what people usualy refer to as dance music, and while songs like Estimated Prophet had that super funky bass sound, it still was a far cry from "disco." the whole jam band scene is a dancing kind of scene, but very, very different than disco, top 40 dance music and dance clubs...

yeah, I agree with you about good and bad music, and the to dance to and for listening categories really were for arguments sake only, or looking at music from one persepective I have of many.

in terms of all that reggae or funk stuff you mentioned, I feel the same way as I was saying with disco - great to dance to, but otherwise I have zero interest. Again, no offense if you dig it - I mean, right now I'm listening to Ravi Shankar, and I'm digging it big time, but many would not!

QUOTE (CanEHdian @ Aug 20 2005, 08:58 AM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Aug 20 2005, 10:18 AM)
http://home.earthlink.net/~mklively/ged/snf.jpg

062802puke_prv.gif Y U C K!

Never did like disco, never will.

tongue.gif Sorry honey, I just posted the picture, I think disco SUCKS too! 062802puke_prv.gif

Archived