Alex's Red Strat Replica

TFEman

I know I tagged Hentor Sportscaster and his Red Strat definitely wasn't that but who cares.

Unfortunately, no one knows how it's wired (if you do please tell me), so I'll use the Hentor wiring. I just bought a L500L onebay (it was brand new so there was no way I wasn't going to buy it), and for the middle and neck I'll be using either my old 97' Jackson PS-2 Performer single coils I ripped out during the Great White build, or the stock pickups. Imayor maynot get a NFT Floyd, depends on if I have money to spare. Now of course, here is the poor part... The guitar is going to be a Squier Bullet Strat. I know that everyone who owns multiple $800+ guitars will not be fans of this (and I know how you feel. I own a great quality Les Paul, but I have my reasons) but they are really good, plus it'll be a fun challenge.

I have mine wired as per the original ie bridge,neck+middle,neck on the 3 way

Will post a pic but Freddie has posted the wiring on here somewhere

He posted the wiring for the 3 way switch, but the easiest way to wire it is to look up a wiring diagram for 2 hb and master tone & volume

So bad news... can't get a chrome guard, so I'm building the black one and starting a new thread

Can't get it? Or, too expensive to get it? A regular chrome HSS pickguard can be had for about $60 - $75. However, then the holes are wrong, so you're left with getting a custom one, which is pricier. Couple suggestions:

- check around on Etsy. Lots of people can custom make stuff for cheap. Email them to see how much to make yours.

- buy a plain pickguard (or use the one you're taking off the Bullet) and cover it with Chrome vinyl adhesive film that you can get cheap at hobby stores and customize your own.

• Like 1

So bad news... can't get a chrome guard, so I'm building the black one and starting a new thread

Can't get it? Or, too expensive to get it? A regular chrome HSS pickguard can be had for about $60 - $75. However, then the holes are wrong, so you're left with getting a custom one, which is pricier. Couple suggestions:

- check around on Etsy. Lots of people can custom make stuff for cheap. Email them to see how much to make yours.

- buy a plain pickguard (or use the one you're taking off the Bullet) and cover it with Chrome vinyl adhesive film that you can get cheap at hobby stores and customize your own.

Yeah what about something like this?

http://www.wdmusic.com/fender_strat_ssh_pickguard_stq_210.html

A bit of work involved but I used my original pickguard as a template for neck middle pickup holes. You can stick you old guard on top of the new one with double sided tape. I then used the Bill Lawrence pickup surround as a template for the bridge. Simples

A bit of work involved but I used my original pickguard as a template for neck middle pickup holes. You can stick you old guard on top of the new one with double sided tape. I then used the Bill Lawrence pickup surround as a template for the bridge. Simples

Thanks! I already started to order the parts for the black strat, so I might as well finish that, but I'll make sure to keep an eye on that.

I know the project is shelved for now but a tip on doing a pick guard like that; buy a sheet of acrylic / plexiglass and re-create the pick guard (using a bandsaw and router, or have someone do it for you), and get a sheet of silver foil tape (silver on the sticky side) and apply it to the underside of the plexi rather than on top... If you've got access to the tools you could do it for cheap cheap, and the end product would look nice and last longer than chrome vinyl on the top of the pick guard.

I did this using copper shielding tape on a pick guard for my Squier Stagemaster and even though it wasn't my original intention, it turned out great.

Love that you're using a Squier and aren't a Fender snob... Don't know about the bullet series, but Squiers CAN be great guitars for cheap money.

http://i59.tinypic.com/330y9w6.jpg

Edited by speedingpenguin

I know the project is shelved for now but a tip on doing a pick guard like that; buy a sheet of acrylic / plexiglass and re-create the pick guard (using a bandsaw and router, or have someone do it for you), and get a sheet of silver foil tape (silver on the sticky side) and apply it to the underside of the plexi rather than on top... If you've got access to the tools you could do it for cheap cheap, and the end product would look nice and last longer than chrome vinyl on the top of the pick guard.

I did this using copper shielding tape on a pick guard for my Squier Stagemaster and even though it wasn't my original intention, it turned out great.

Love that you're using a Squier and aren't a Fender snob... Don't know about the bullet series, but Squiers CAN be great guitars for cheap money.

http://i59.tinypic.com/330y9w6.jpg

Two things:

1. I am terrible at this, so I'd probably just buy a pickguard.

2. I bought a Digitech rp-100 at the same time as this, so I kinda had a low budget. I also didn't wanna mess with a Fender. however, if I do an accurate Hentor, I would probably use a Modern Player strat, which are the lowest range strat from Fender. My philosophy is that I'm not gonna go all out money wise on a guitar that's only used exclusively on a few records. If I had enough money, I'd get the Alex Lifeson Les Paul, because he uses it for almost everything.