Why was [SPOILER!] not played?

zappafrank

In this case, [spoiler!] = stuff from T4E, Presto, HYF.

I'd say PoW but I think that's obvious given the CA tour.

But I'm really surprised (and extremely disappointed) that they didn't bust out Show Don't Tell again. That's the song that got me into Rush and the last tour they played it (Counterparts) would have been my 1st Rush concert had I been able to go (but alas, T4E was my 1st). If anything represents Presto, it's either that or Superconductor. IMO, it wasn't necessary to play 2 songs (can't believe it was originally 3) from CA and 2 from S&A (certainly didn't need to hear Far Cry for the umpteenth time).

But I think they easily could have fit in something from T4E, Presto, and HYF on this tour. What songs? Hard to say. Conventional wisdom :) might say Driven for T4E, but one of the unplayed songs like Carve Away the Stone or Dog Years would have been cool. For Presto, like I said, SDT or Superconductor. And for HYF, one of the remaining songs played on that tour not represented on recent tours (so, Lock and Key, Prime Mover, or Turn the Page).

Was also surprised at the disparity in some of set lengths, such as when Natural Science added on a full 10 minutes to Set 2, or The Camera Eye was rotated in in place of YYZ or Red Barchetta.

My guess is that since they played The Pass on the last tour and Presto in 2010 they felt the album got its due on recent tours. Same with playing Force Ten last tour and Time Stand Still in 2010. As to why they don't ever do anything off T4E, i'm not sure about that one. Maybe they don't like the album as much as they did when it was recorded? I'm a little surprised the title track was never played again. Why you would want them to torture their fans with songs like Superconductor, Dog Years and Carve Away The Stone on their final tour is beyond me. Show Don't Tell, Prime Mover or Turn The Page all would have been nice though.

Natural Science is added into that version of the set because they have YYZ which gives Geddy's voice a break. So, he's good enough to sing an extra song that night. At least that's the impression I got.

I think the setlist is fantastic overall. There really isn't much I change with except taking out one song from CA so there would be room to represent something else.

• Like 1

Too many synths on the last tour makes PoW and HYF unnecessary. They recently played a few songs from Presto, including the never before played Presto. No need to go there again.

They definitely could have and should have played a TFE song, but I don't think they wanted to do deep cuts for the recent albums, just the big hits (How It Is being the exception). And TFE didn't produce a big hit for the band.

And TFE didn't produce a big hit for the band.

Wrong.

The title track hit number one on the US mainstream rock charts. Driven and Half The World didn't do too bad either.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Wrong.

The title track hit number one on the US mainstream rock charts. Driven and Half The World didn't do too bad either.

I know that it got into the peak position for a week, but RTBs and, to a lesser extent, Animate stayed on the radio much longer...at least in my market. And while I love TFE the song and the album, it doesn't seem the fans have embraced it like they have RTB and CP.

Wrong.

I know that it got into the peak position for a week, but RTBs and, to a lesser extent, Animate stayed on the radio much longer...at least in my market. And while I love TFE the song and the album, it doesn't seem the fans have embraced it like they have RTB and CP.

That's true that the fans never seem to embrace it that much. I can't remember for how long T4E stuck around on the radio but I know it got some good play for at least a couple months.

Does anyone else remember the band specifically mentioning from months out that they'd pull something from Test For Echo and from 2112? I was very confused at the point in the concert when they skipped straight from One Little Victory to Animate (and also wishing they had chosen Cut To The Chase, but that's besides the point) because I distinctly recalled the band issuing a statement early on that said they would pull out songs from Test For Echo and from 2112. This was also when they first released the poster with the MP dude and the Dalmatian on the beach, leading me to believe they would also definitely play songs from MP (duh) and Signals (and they did!). I wonder why they didn't keep that promise. I wonder much less why very few people seem to care (aside from those in this thread). Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Does anyone else remember the band specifically mentioning from months out that they'd pull something from Test For Echo and from 2112? I was very confused at the point in the concert when they skipped straight from One Little Victory to Animate (and also wishing they had chosen Cut To The Chase, but that's besides the point) because I distinctly recalled the band issuing a statement early on that said they would pull out songs from Test For Echo and from 2112. This was also when they first released the poster with the MP dude and the Dalmatian on the beach, leading me to believe they would also definitely play songs from MP (duh) and Signals (and they did!). I wonder why they didn't keep that promise. I wonder much less why very few people seem to care (aside from those in this thread).

I don't recall hearing anything about T4E and something else off 2112 being a lock for the set. I don't think the band promised anything when it came to what they would play.

I read on here that there were a number of songs that were cut at the last minute in order to make the set a certain length. It's very possible something from T4E and 2112 were rehearsed but didn't make the cut because of time constraints. I couldn't imagine how hard it must be finalize a setlist when you have a catalog like Rush does. I'm sure there are plenty of songs they would loved to have played live but had to cut them before the tour started.

Look at Jacob's Ladder. They rehearsed it for the 2010 tour but it didn't make the set until this one. Sometimes a song just doesn't work the way they want it to in the set and they have to cut it and possibly save it for another time.

After seeing the show I cannot complain about the setlist at all. 200% satisfied.

However, to be nitpicky, I personally was hoping for something from T4E going in. I have yet to see anything from that album live (started seeing them at S&A tour).

I personally believe that Rush themselves don't care for the album.

At least Neil wore a T4E logo shirt!

Actions speaker louder than words, and despite their comments about a decade that they all liked Test for Echo a lot (in the Contents Under Pressure book), the fact that it is their only studio album to get not any representation in the last 10 years of touring speaks volumes. TFE isn't a bad album, but it's not notable, and nothing on it has that "it must be played live" vibe about it. With so much great music over the last 40 years, I am fine with them ignoring an album that doesn't have any great tunes.
  • Like 2

I would have loved anything from HYF. In the last fifteen years, they have played Mission, Time Stand Still and Force Ten. I would gladly see any of those again. Also, I'd love to see Presto again, since I missed Time Machine. I would be fine with skipping T4E, but if they did anything from it, Carve Away The Stone or Test For Echo would be fantastic...

Yes, last tour could've been called the Power Windows tour, but that still is a fantastic album, and I would gladly see The Big Money or Middletown Dreams live again!

They should've pulled Bravest Face out for this tour. Best song they've ever written. Or Armor and Sword, or The Way The Wind Blows, or Good News First, or heck, even Spindrift. And yet, we're stuck with The Main Monkey Boring. For instrumentals - what's wrong with LTTA, or Where's My Thing? (I know they did that last tour, but it is just fantastic live)....

I would say MN, but that isn't much of a break for Ged's voice. MN is their second best instrumental IMO. Just behind La Villa. Can you tell how much I love this album?

And Roll The Bones? Why? Yes, it has the new rap, but it just gets so tiring live. We have Rio and R30. We don't need to see it again.

I think that They could have something like -

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

Armor and Sword

Bravest Face

One Little Victory / How It Is / Test For Echo

Leave That Thing Alone

Lock and Key / Prime Mover / Turn The Page

The Big Money / Kid Gloves / Between The Wheels

Subdivisions

Countdown....etc

Of course, none of this matters since the tour is almost over. But maybe if they do another leg....

Maybe they did have songs from those albums but didn't have enough time to play all of them. Geddy talked about that in an interview recently. For anyone going to a meet and greet at one of the upcoming shows, ask Geddy and Alex what songs got cut from the setlist.

Carve Away the Stone is a great tune. One of the tracks off T4E that's just a solid modern rock song, along with Half the World and Color of Right.

I love Color of Right. Watch Neil playing that in A Work In Progress all the time. Love the ride symbol in that one. Very underrated song.

I would have loved anything from HYF. In the last fifteen years, they have played Mission, Time Stand Still and Force Ten. I would gladly see any of those again. Also, I'd love to see Presto again, since I missed Time Machine. I would be fine with skipping T4E, but if they did anything from it, Carve Away The Stone or Test For Echo would be fantastic...

Yes, last tour could've been called the Power Windows tour, but that still is a fantastic album, and I would gladly see The Big Money or Middletown Dreams live again!

They should've pulled Bravest Face out for this tour. Best song they've ever written. Or Armor and Sword, or The Way The Wind Blows, or Good News First, or heck, even Spindrift. And yet, we're stuck with The Main Monkey Boring. For instrumentals - what's wrong with LTTA, or Where's My Thing? (I know they did that last tour, but it is just fantastic live)....

I would say MN, but that isn't much of a break for Ged's voice. MN is their second best instrumental IMO. Just behind La Villa. Can you tell how much I love this album?

And Roll The Bones? Why? Yes, it has the new rap, but it just gets so tiring live. We have Rio and R30. We don't need to see it again.

I think that They could have something like -

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

Armor and Sword

Bravest Face

One Little Victory / How It Is / Test For Echo

Leave That Thing Alone

Lock and Key / Prime Mover / Turn The Page

The Big Money / Kid Gloves / Between The Wheels

Subdivisions

Countdown....etc

Of course, none of this matters since the tour is almost over. But maybe if they do another leg....

You've just decimated the first set.

Would've liked a TFE tune in the set, since in three tours I didn't get to see one live.

Animate was decent, not my favorite counterparts song.

Was great to get RTB. Much better than the Bravado snoozer.