All right. I'm calling some of you guys out . . .

Rick N. Backer

I've been reading quite a few of the posts in topics like "Rank the Rush Albums" or "What is the Most Underrated Album" recently. Let's stipulate that music is subjective, so every one has and is entitled to their own opinion about what they like and why. Some people love Signals (I do) while others do not. Some people love Hold Your Fire while others do not (like me).

But . . .

I've seen more than a few folks suggest that their favorite Rush album of all time is Hold Your Fire. Or Caress of Steel. In a similar vein, I've seen people place Test For Echo higher than Moving Pictures in a ranking of the band's discography. I get it. "Real fans" love to say they don't like Tom Sawyer or Limelight because they've heard them too many times. Like everyone else, I like variety in what I listen to, and sometimes I'm not in the mood to listen to Permanent Waves. But there is a difference ( :finbar: ) between saying you need a change of pace from listening to a particular song or album, and suggesting that your own fatigue with a song diminishes its quality. Like it or not, Tom Sawyer is an amazing tune. It's the reason that we all own Counterparts, but chances are the person next to you at the coffee shop, if he or she is a rock fan, owns Moving Pictures.

So knock it off. If you have everything Rush ever released on your iPhone all the time, by all means, listen to Vapor Trails and Roll the Bones today. But if you were being banished to a desert island, and you only could take one Rush album to listen to for the rest of your life, you're not taking Caress of Steel. You know it. :)

• Like 12

Wait so I'm just like not allowed to think that Moving Pictures isn't their best work? Or I'm not a "real fan" if I like Hold Your Fire better than Moving Pictures?

Isn't the thing that makes us all fans the fact that we can appreciate such a wide variety of music? I think it's great that we have differing opinions. It'd be so boring otherwise. And I think nobody is any less of a "true fan" for not liking Moving Pictures as much as any other fan.

• Like 8

But if you were being banished to a desert island, and you only could take one Rush album to listen to for the rest of your life, you're not taking Caress of Steel. You know it. :)

I'm sure that some people's favorite Rush album really is Caress of Steel or Hold Your Fire or even Roll The Bones. We all have different tastes...

• Like 6

I've been reading quite a few of the posts in topics like "Rank the Rush Albums" or "What is the Most Underrated Album" recently. Let's stipulate that music is subjective, so every one has and is entitled to their own opinion about what they like and why. Some people love Signals (I do) while others do not. Some people love Hold Your Fire while others do not (like me).

But . . .

I've seen more than a few folks suggest that their favorite Rush album of all time is Hold Your Fire. Or Caress of Steel. In a similar vein, I've seen people place Test For Echo higher than Moving Pictures in a ranking of the band's discography. I get it. "Real fans" love to say they don't like Tom Sawyer or Limelight because they've heard them too many times. Like everyone else, I like variety in what I listen to, and sometimes I'm not in the mood to listen to Permanent Waves. But there is a difference ( :finbar: ) between saying you need a change of pace from listening to a particular song or album, and suggesting that your own fatigue with a song diminishes its quality. Like it or not, Tom Sawyer is an amazing tune. It's the reason that we all own Counterparts, but chances are the person next to you at the coffee shop, if he or she is a rock fan, owns Moving Pictures.

So knock it off. If you have everything Rush ever released on your iPhone all the time, by all means, listen to Vapor Trails and Roll the Bones today. But if you were being banished to a desert island, and you only could take one Rush album to listen to for the rest of your life, you're not taking Caress of Steel. You know it. :)

There is a lot of truth in what you've posted. I think an important to distinguish what is your "favorite" versus what is the "best." I went through a period of time where I preferred to listen to synth and 90s Rush because it still had a degree of newness to me. At that time, I might have said Power Windows was my favorite album..........but even at that time I would still ranking Moving pictures as the better album.

Another observation- on an internet forum, people are often looking for attention or trying to stif something up, and like to flaunt their own "unique" tastes. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it certainly helps to start conversation

• Like 2

I do believe however that it is possible that Caress Of Steel could be ones favorite i.e. LedRush...
  • Like 2

But . . .

There is a lot of truth in what you've posted. I think an important to distinguish what is your "favorite" versus what is the "best." I went through a period of time where I preferred to listen to synth and 90s Rush because it still had a degree of newness to me. At that time, I might have said Power Windows was my favorite album..........but even at that time I would still ranking Moving pictures as the better album.

Another observation- on an internet forum, people are often looking for attention or trying to stif something up, and like to flaunt their own "unique" tastes. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it certainly helps to start conversation

But not everyone will think the "best" is the same as you. Personally I think Clockwork Angels is their best. I'm not doing that for attention, it is, in my opinion, their best work. These are all subjective, you can't say that Moving Pictures is objectively the best work, because so many huge fans can disagree on that.

• Like 1

Wait so I'm just like not allowed to think that Moving Pictures isn't their best work? Or I'm not a "real fan" if I like Hold Your Fire better than Moving Pictures?

Isn't the thing that makes us all fans the fact that we can appreciate such a wide variety of music? I think it's great that we have differing opinions. It'd be so boring otherwise. And I think nobody is any less of a "true fan" for not liking Moving Pictures as much as any other fan.

First off, I would think the fact that my post was meant to be taken in good humor would be obvious.

However, to your question about "real fans" it is my belief that some people who call themselves "real fans" of a band, any band, often like to say they prefer obscure material to more commercially successful material (for example, a "real" ZZ Top fan doesn't like Eliminator, a "real" Black Sabbath fan doesn't like Paranoid) because it makes them appear to be more "into" the band's discography than a causal fan.

• Like 4

First off, I would think the fact that my post was meant to be taken in good humor would be obvious.

Obvious, on the internet? What is this "obvious" you speak of? :LOL:

• Like 2

But . . .

But not everyone will think the "best" is the same as you. Personally I think Clockwork Angels is their best. I'm not doing that for attention, it is, in my opinion, their best work. These are all subjective, you can't say that Moving Pictures is objectively the best work, because so many huge fans can disagree on that.

May I ask how old you are or at least when you became a fan? Its just for a survey I am doing for a book I am writing regarding this forum and Rush fandom in general... :)
  • Like 2

When I first read the thread title I thought RNB was calling me out for my recent comments regarding the Dead, Doors, Dylan and Black Sabbath. Whew. That was a close one... :dweez:

When I first read the thread title I thought RNB was calling me out for my recent comments regarding the Dead, Doors, Dylan and Black Sabbath. Whew. That was a close one... :dweez:

You're spot on about the Dead. But your comments about Sabbath hurt, Narp. :)

Obvious, on the internet? What is this "obvious" you speak of? :LOL:

You know, the emoji thingees?

• Like 1

I do believe however that it is possible that Caress Of Steel could be ones favorite i.e. LedRush...

No chance Narp. We're all fans, so we can listen to it and enjoy the experience. To say it is the apex of their creativity and performance? Cut it out.

my top Rush album is Hemispheres. Followed VERY closely by HYF.

so........Ta-dah!!!!!!! lol

Mick

Those are my two as well. I've said that for as long as I've been on this forum, and it's been true for much longer than that. As far as which one is number one and which is two, they vacillate based on my mood.

3-7 are Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Farewell to Kings, 2112, and Clockwork Angels. After that, it becomes a bit of a mash-up.

Sure, call me out, shove chips of bamboo under my fingernails, waterboard me, whatever...my answers won't change.

But . . .

I dont think Moving Pictures is their best work, I think Hemispheres or PW is. CA is difficult to compare because its more of a concept album (personally not a big fan of CA). You could make an arguement that lyrically CA is superior, and that the concept aspect makes it "better"

Its very apparent that Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves are in a different class than Test for Echo or Roll the Bones. People may like RTB or TFE better, which is fine, but id really like to hear a decent arguement as to why they are better albums

• Like 2

But . . .

I am definitely taking Caress of Steel to the desert island. If I look at the play numbers of my songs on iTunes, The Necromancer and Lamneth are the two most played Rush songs. One of the reasons I love the prog era so much is that for most of the songs, I can listen to them to get me comfortable to sleep or to get me energized when awake. I listen to music every night as I go to sleep, and so those songs get the most play.

I love MP and recognize its greatness. But I'd rather take Hemispheres, 2112, or Caress of Steel to the island with me. Honestly, if we're talking about top albums for the desert island, MP probably slips in my rankings.

• Like 1

However, to your question about "real fans" it is my belief that some people who call themselves "real fans" of a band, any band, often like to say they prefer obscure material to more commercially successful material (for example, a "real" ZZ Top fan doesn't like Eliminator, a "real" Black Sabbath fan doesn't like Paranoid) because it makes them appear to be more "into" the band's discography than a causal fan.

I think that is part of the reason Rush fans crap on RTB and why Dead fans crap on In The Dark.

But . . .

I am definitely taking Caress of Steel to the desert island. If I look at the play numbers of my songs on iTunes, The Necromancer and Lamneth are the two most played Rush songs. One of the reasons I love the prog era so much is that for most of the songs, I can listen to them to get me comfortable to sleep or to get me energized when awake. I listen to music every night as I go to sleep, and so those songs get the most play.

I love MP and recognize its greatness. But I'd rather take Hemispheres, 2112, or Caress of Steel to the island with me. Honestly, if we're talking about top albums for the desert island, MP probably slips in my rankings.

http://memetogo.com/media/created/fz2kqe.jpg

• Like 1

No chance Narp. We're all fans, so we can listen to it and enjoy the experience. To say it is the apex of their creativity and performance? Cut it out.

I mean that it could be ones "favorite". Everyone knows AFTK is definitively their best work... :)
  • Like 2