(Spoiler) For A Bunch Of Old Geezers....

Lorraine

I mean this very sincerely. I just watched ESL and Grace Under Pressure dvds and went straight to Tulsa R40.

For a trio of old farts, these men still rock.

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy: :rush: :rush: :rush:

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 8

Another thing: had I been at Tulsa and completely ignorant of the set list, there is no doubt in my mind that they would have had to carry me out on a stretcher after that second half of the show. I don't think my heart could have withstood it. :LOL: :lol: :LOL: Especially when they did Cygnus X-1. :smoke: Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 6

Another thing: had I been at Tulsa and completely ignorant of the set list, there is no doubt in my mind that they would have had to carry me out on a stretcher after that second half of the show. I don't think my heart could have withstood it. :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

During the intermission Tx_Rush and I were just flabbergasted that the rest of the concert would be Moving Pictures and earlier. At the beginning of every song, we were high fiving and jumping around like little kids. It was fabulous.

When people bitch about the no-spoilers posting rules and ruminate on how the spoilers could possibly alter enjoyment of a show, I just think of how much more awesome the show was made by not knowing the special treat we were in for.

• Like 10

Led, I see you here. How did you withstand it without losing it?

Oh, I lost it. Just ask MysticRhythm...I was jumping up and down and giving high fives like a madman. Even though the MSG and Newark shows were better, I doubt Tulsa will ever be topped as a concert experience.

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 1

I do have one question. Is Alex using a different guitar in the Hemispheres prelude during R40? It sounds different to me. It may be the video I have though.

Like they've been doing with 2112 since 1996, they've tuned down Hemispheres this tour (both Alex's and Geddy's instruments, obviously the drums can't be easily re-tuned on the fly). This allows Geddy to hit the high notes without wrecking his voice. So yes, it does sound different.

Edited by Josh Smith
  • Like 1

I do have one question. Is Alex using a different guitar in the Hemispheres prelude during R40? It sounds different to me. It may be the video I have though.

It sounds different because it's tuned down.

• Like 1

Like they've been doing with 2112 since 1996, they've tuned down Hemispheres this tour (both Alex's and Geddy's instruments, obviously the drums can't be easily re-tuned on the fly). This allows Geddy to hit the high notes without wrecking his voice. So yes, it does sound different.

Can either one of you explain to me what that means? Do you mean that it is being played on different notes? It did sound slightly different, but I couldn't figure out why. I thought it was the guitar Alex is using.

Can either one of you explain to me what that means? Do you mean that it is being played on different notes? It did sound slightly different, but I couldn't figure out why. I thought it was the guitar Alex is using.

Well in this instance it means all of the guitar strings are tuned down a step. That's what makes it sound so grungy.

• Like 1

They tune the bass and the guitar down so that Geddy and Alex can play the song at the same positions on the fret board as the original recording, but the song will be in a lower key which helps Ged with the vocals.

Sometimes it's not that noticeable, but on the Hemispheres stuff, it's pretty obvious especially during Alex's harmonics part.

• Like 2

That's exactly what it means. By tuning their strings lower they are able to play the song in the same location they normally do on their instruments but it sounds lower. The intervals stay the same so the song still works but it can irritate the ear since it is used to it sounding different.

Well when a song is tuned down the key of the song is changed to a lower key but the structure stays pretty much the same but the tempo (beat timing)may slow down also to allow the new chords being used to sound more closely to the higher key. For example if the original song is in the key of C & the chord progression is C,F,G and the key is dropped to G the chords change to G,C,D and if it changes to D then the chords change to D,G,A. I am not an expert in music theory but I believe that I have explained the basics. But you are very correct in your assessment that the boys still rock

Well when a song is tuned down the key of the song is changed to a lower key but the structure stays pretty much the same but the tempo (beat timing)may slow down also to allow the new chords being used to sound more closely to the higher key. For example if the original song is in the key of C & the chord progression is C,F,G and the key is dropped to G the chords change to G,C,D and if it changes to D then the chords change to D,G,A. I am not an expert in music theory but I believe that I have explained the basics. But you are very correct in your assessment that the boys still rock

I ask a lot of music questions here regarding the hows and whys of composition, and many, like yourself, take the time to patiently answer me, but when I read it, if someone doesn't at least know the basics, it is all greek. All I know is what my ear hears, and to me it sounds as if the guitar being used during R40 for Hemispheres isn't producing as full a sound as the guitar used in the album cut.

Edited by Lorraine

I ask a lot of music questions here regarding the hows and whys of composition, and many, like yourself, take the time to patiently answer me, but when I read it, if someone doesn't at least know the basics, it is all greek. All I know is what my ear hears, and to me it sounds as if the guitar being used during R40 for Hemispheres isn't producing as full a sound as the guitar used in the album cut.

That's because it's too low. Some songs transpose into different keys and you might hardly notice. Hemispheres just doesn't work as well as something like 2112, which is also tuned down. I think mainly because Hemispheres is in a lower key to start with.

• Like 1

That's because it's too low. Some songs transpose into different keys and you might hardly notice. Hemispheres just doesn't work as well as something like 2112, which is also tuned down. I think mainly because Hemispheres is in a lower key to start with.

I thought 2112 sounded great, but I thought Cygnus X-1 really sounded magnificent. :wub:

At the shows everyone here attended, did everyone do the Ping!! during Hemispheres? :)

Yes but it was a bit muddled by the frenzy of the crowd but I heard it clearly cause I was listening for it LOL

Edit;I love that part becuase it signals the guitar riffs and bass lines are going to go up a notch from awesome to absolutely incredible :laughing guy:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

Thank you for your compliment when it comes to music I am guessing probably just as "real" musicians do. Music is soo much integrated with feel that theory is more often the afterthought as most rules of music are shattered by what the feeling can produce. Also remember there will always be differences from the studio version and the live for obvious reasons but the live performances should be viewed as what the song was intended to sound like. You will hear alot of performers say we had to relearn the song to peform it live.

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

I thought 2112 sounded great, but I thought Cygnus X-1 really sounded magnificent. :wub:

Cygnus X-1 is in the original tuning. :) 2112 has been tuned down for a long time. We've gotten used to it.

• Like 1

Thank you for your compliment when it comes to music I am guessing probably just as "real" musicians do. Music is soo much integrated with feel that theory is more often the afterthought as most rules of music are shattered by what the feeling can produce. Also remember there will always be differences from the studio version and the live for obvious reasons but the live performances should be viewed as what the song was intended to sound like. You will hear alot of performers say we had to relearn the song to peform it live.

Although it's probably been covered, a simple way to understand this is to sing the first part of 'mary had a little lamb'. Then sing it 'lower'. That's basically what they're doing by dropping a key or two. Same song, same pattern, but slightly different sound. In terms of Als sound on Hemi, dropping the key makes it sound a little muddier or not as bright as the album.

Ged has remarked many times over the years on how they mistakenly recorded the instrumental tracks in Hemi in a key that was extremely high for his vocals. Had they realized this before recording it, it probably would have been recorded in a lower key on the album.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1