Who is the better Violinist?

madrigal4

Who is the better violinist : Ben Mink or JD?

Who played Losing it better?

I think JD did a better job....he seems more into it, younger, bigger fan, probably practiced it more too. I really don't know who the better violinist is but JD probably plays it more...

I think JD did a better job....he seems more into it, younger, bigger fan, probably practiced it more too. I really don't know who the better violinist is but JD probably plays it more...

Well, Audry Solomon, of course!

hotpants.jpg

Oh wait, she wasn't one of the choices. Even still, I stand by my statement!

• Like 8

Just by the performances of Losing It i'm going with JD. He played it a lot better and this is coming from someone who saw Mink play it in Toronto. I don't listen to anything that contains a violin, so my knowledge on what a skilled violinist should sound like is very limited. For all I know, both of them are average players.
  • Like 1

Dink by far, is a much more skilled violinist than Mink. Dink actually ad-libs a lot with the violin to play harmonies which is a very David Ragsdale-like thing to do. Mink on the other hand, just played the violin parts as it was on the studio version. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just by the performances of Losing It i'm going with JD. He played it a lot better and this is coming from someone who saw Mink play it in Toronto. I don't listen to anything that contains a violin, so my knowledge on what a skilled violinist should sound like is very limited. For all I know, both of them are average players.

hotpants.jpg

I'd take Adele Stein over her but she is a fine player too... :) Oops my bad. She plays cello...

There actually are a good amount of musicians outside classical and country that play violin. When most people think of popular musicians who play the violin, they think of someone like Charlie Daniels, however there is just so much more out there. We have guys like Robby Steinhardt and David Ragsdale of Kansas, Lindsey Stirling, Svet, Jerry Goodman of Dixie Dregs, Jonathan Dinklage, Ben Mink...just so many different violinists...

hotpants.jpg

I'd take Adele Stein over her but she is a fine player too... :) Oops my bad. She plays cello...

Haha, I met them both last tour and being a big fan of petite women with great butts & tight pants, I stand by my choice! :D

• Like 1

hotpants.jpg

my choice by far!!!
  • Like 1

You all are crazy.... :facepalm:

Mink. He wrote the part. He emotes the part. It's like when Paul Gilbert starts playing What You're Doing. Sure he flashes brilliance and solo's all around the the riffs Alex created. But Alex IS the part. Ben Mink nailed it perfectly. Dinklage played it incredibly well. But Mink is the legend that created that haunting piece and that is what makes the song the song.

• Like 2

You all are crazy.... :facepalm:

Mink. He wrote the part. He emotes the part. It's like when Paul Gilbert starts playing What You're Doing. Sure he flashes brilliance and solo's all around the the riffs Alex created. But Alex IS the part. Ben Mink nailed it perfectly. Dinklage played it incredibly well. But Mink is the legend that created that haunting piece and that is what makes the song the song.

If I had never heard the song before, which version would I like better, Dinklage's for sure. The history of it doesn't make it any less enjoyable listening to Dinkage's version over Mink's, however, I can see how others' expectations might affect what they enjoy.

Edited by Shemp

I have no idea who is the better violinist....I just watched the MSG and Toronto clips on youtube. Dinklage seemed to nail it much better than Ben. For one, I thought he played with much more emotion. The sound was much better at MSG, at least on the clip I watched. No need to split hairs though...we are very lucky that they are playing this at all! Edited by LaVillaSean

Paganini

I was going to say Ytzach Perlman. FWIW, the fact that Ben Mink wrote the part doesn't necessarily make him the better performer of the part, it just makes him the more creative performer of the part, which is certainly not to be underestimated--it's a brilliant piece of music. But sometimes another interpretation of someone's work transcends the original version. I liked JD's performances better. It's like the Jimi Hendrix studio version of Hey Joe compared to whoever that guy is who wrote it that hardly anyone can remember what his name is without looking it up on google. Or Blinded By The Light by Manfred Mann's Earth Band compared to the original by Springsteen.

Paganini

I was going to say Ytzach Perlman. FWIW, the fact that Ben Mink wrote the part doesn't necessarily make him the better performer of the part, it just makes him the more creative performer of the part, which is certainly not to be underestimated--it's a brilliant piece of music. But sometimes another interpretation of someone's work transcends the original version. I liked JD's performances better. It's like the Jimi Hendrix studio version of Hey Joe compared to whoever that guy is who wrote it that hardly anyone can remember what his name is without looking it up on google. Or Blinded By The Light by Manfred Mann's Earth Band compared to the original by Springsteen.

Good points. My comment was sarcastic of course. Writing interesting music is harder than playing music. I believe anyone can be taught to play an instrument at a reasonable level but writing "good" music is beyond even some of the great players.

• Like 1

Paganini

There are musicians out there that could perform Rush's songs better than they themselves can right now...

would you rather hear those musicians cover their tunes? Or the original guys? :outtahere:

Just sayin'... I think it was epic having Mink back to perform it live for the first time.

Dink was definitely more showy, and deserves props as well for a killer performance.

Edited by rushbass

Do you want to hear the 4 guys who recorded it or 3/4 and somebody else?

Waht makes RUSH - RUSH is their lifelong committment to recreating the studio sound live. And that is so very difficult especially when three guys are replicating so many layers. When Ben Mink played "Losing It" in Toronto- it was perfection!

In NJ, Dinklage paid homage to Mink. At Madison Square, Geddy seems to give Jonathan a nod and the green light to make it his own- and Jonathan soared. It's impressive to listen to the backing band lay down the rhythm. Jonathan takes them on a ride and the old veterans enjoy it!