Exercise/Diet Thread

Hemisteers

Just curious what you lads and ladies do for diet and exercise. Whether its a 15 minute walk after dinner, jump rope, weightlifting, yoga, or cardio, I'd love to share ideas on the topic. I have found working out at home, and using the Loseit app for calories for the past 8 months, to be really effective. I mostly do cardio, weights, and yoga for stress/anxiety relief, but I have gotten some physical results as well.

Article on Stress and Exercise:

http://www.mayoclini...ss/art-20044469

Video on Medication vs. Exercise for Depression:

Edited by Hemisteers

I've found that the most effective way for me to eat more healthily and exercise more often is to separate questions of eating and exercise from questions of weight. I spent most of my life obsessed with weight and thinking it was the only thing that mattered when it came to food choices, but in recent years I have learned a lot about nutrition and how various foods affect my physical and mental health, and now I find it easier to make good food choices when I think about it from the perspective of whether a food will nourish me rather than whether a food will make me fat. Similarly, I have changed my motivational focus for exercise from weight control to mood control. Most of the time, that works really well. The only hitch for me right now is that I gained some weight last winter during an illness, and I'm struggling to not revert to disordered behaviours in trying to lose it.

I'm not able to do very intense exercise, but I love to swim, and love to take walks while listening to music. My neighbourhood is quiet and very hilly, which makes it easy to take a challenging walk without having to plan or think about it too much. Rush is a frequent choice for listening on walks, because the intricacy of the music and the way I can focus in on the different instrument lines keeps my brain busy. I find exercise generally boring and often physically painful, so I need things like that to motivate me to do it!

30 minute day walk at max speed possible.....green smoothie of Mexican cactus, celery, cucumber, spinach, parsley leaves, pineapple chunked, papaya,some whey protein,stevia, half banana, cocoa powder and go.....keeps me mentally focused, running smooths through the whole day and with little or no sugar cravings during the day..... :chickendance:

I at least still get in a 3 mile walk in daily at maximum walking speed. I have been having so many sinus problems over the last 4-6 months or so that the thought of getting up and going to the gym daily is getting difficult. I also have mixed in a 2 mile roundtrip walk to the pool and back and 45 minutes of swimming a few days a week. In other words even feeling bad I make myself exercise in some way daily. I also drink :d13: every day... :)

I do a nightly walk around dusk or after dark to avoid the heat. Usually 60-75 minutes. If you want an eye opener regarding diet download an app like my fitness pal and log your food. It's surprisingly easy as most foods are already in the app. It's surprising how some seemingly healthy foods are not.

I've been out pressure-washing my back patio. I'm pretty sure that's going to be my exercise for the day.

I used to exercise heartily- many years ago. But I really don't, now. Been thinking about taking up distance running again with my son, who started doing that over the past year or so. But, ummm...we haven't done it together yet.

I've been out pressure-washing my back patio. I'm pretty sure that's going to be my exercise for the day.

I used to exercise heartily- many years ago. But I really don't, now. Been thinking about taking up distance running again with my son, who started doing that over the past year or so. But, ummm...we haven't done it together yet.

Well, alright. I just washed my car. Might be my exercise for the summer.

Speaking of pressure-washing, my squatter neighbor was out pressure-washing the dirt in his backyard two days ago. :|

Pressure washing for hours with a powerful machine is a big time workout. Done it many times in the past. My house sort of needs it now. Gonna have to get it done sometime this summer... :)

Well, alright. I just washed my car. Might be my exercise for the summer.

Speaking of pressure-washing, my squatter neighbor was out pressure-washing the dirt in his backyard two days ago. :|

I'll be the made sure to send some of it over to you, too, right? :eyeroll:

Pressure washing for hours with a powerful machine is a big time workout. Done it many times in the past. My house sort of needs it now. Gonna have to get it done sometime this summer... :)

This is a first-time occurrence for me. Thirteen years of it getting blown away at once. It's taking some doing, yeah.

• Like 1

I have a pretty healthy diet. I avoid fast food, don't drink pop or eat sweets. I also watch my portion size. I refuse to eat anything low calorie or fat free because it never tasted good! Keeping the portions under control lets me indulge in the foods I really like.

For exercise, I run once, sometimes twice a day, every day. Four miles in the morning and usually 3 in the afternoon if I have the energy. I also go to the gym four days a week.

There's a thread on working out that's pretty interesting: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/83839-working-out/

:)

I'm just getting back into running after not being able to for a year (injury, then surgery). I'm only ramping up now so I'm doing 30-45 mins of walking-running. Eventually I'll be doing more running than walking. I've also just started yoga. One class so far but I liked it, and it worked my muscles without me even realizing it! I want to do more. And I like going for a walk once or twice a week.

I've studied a lot about nutrition and when I want to I eat very well. I'm a vegetarian and tend towards lots of fresh veggies, whole grains, a smattering of fruit, plus beans, and occasional stuff like tofu. (I do have a horrible sweet tooth so I have to be careful there, but I find that when I'm exercising I want to eat well, and those things encourage one another.

Today my exercise was 1.5 hours of horseback riding. It's different than other exercises but I feel like I strengthen my core by using lots of stabilizing muscles.

I work out twice a week - that's the best I can do while we raise our one year old, but at least it's a thorough program. I've been quite consistent with my running though: 03 times a week, including long runs on Sundays. I'll do my fourth marathon in late July.
  • Like 1

I have to quote Garfield on this " I had an urge to excercise------ oh good it went away! But all seriousness aside at my last doctors visit when I had acute viral bronchitis that I got from breathing an excessive amount of drywall dust on probably the closest to hell project I have ever been on in my entire life. My Doc asked me what I was doing for excercise to which I said " I work construction" to which he replied " work is not exercise" which I replied " well you follow me up and down 8 flights of steps all day and we'll talk" He did admit he was very suprised that for a man of my age I was not on a dole of pharmaceuticals and that apart from the reason I was in his office was due to absolute necessity & was impressed with my overall condition. I found this to be the most ultimate compliment I have ever recieved from a doctor. When it comes to the Doctor I am a credit to my gender. If I can't sew it back on or stop the bleeding I don't go. Now I know I am not a picture of health I could stand to lose a few (20+) pounds and not induldge so frequently in some of my vices (mainly bourbon) and fat rich foods bathed in sodium but I do believe moderation is the key! Too much of any one thing leads to an early end. I also have another quote to share that my Doc shared with me. " If it tastes good it more than likey is bad for you" :popcorn: Edited by Crimsonmistymemory

I go to the gym 3 days a week (mostly weights but a bit of cardio) and also do some cycling on the weekends (15-20 miles but trying to do more).

Fortunately I'm not overweight and have youth on my side (for now) :)

I'm regretting those 2 donuts I had today. I need to eat less and work out more. Edited by Boots
  • Like 1

I'm regretting those 2 donuts I had today. I need to eat less and work out more.

Don't cry over spilled milk. Or eaten donuts. :) What's done is done. Tomorrow is a new day. :sundog:

Was that avatar you had yesterday a picture of you?

I'm regretting those 2 donuts I had today. I need to eat less and work out more.

Don't cry over spilled milk. Or eaten donuts. :) What's done is done. Tomorrow is a new day. :sundog:

The avatar from yesterday was Emily Haines from an indie Canadian band called Metric. They're opening for Death Cab at the concert this month.

• Like 1

The avatar from yesterday was Emily Haines from an indie Canadian band called Metric. They're opening for Death Cab at the concert this month.

I thought to myself "what a pretty girl." I thought it might be you!