TV Land Pulls 'Dukes of Hazzard'

I'd rather watch the Dukes than Breaking Bad or the Wire or any of that shit.

Then you're a f***ing moron because The Wire is like an entertaining documentary on why Baltimore is such a dumpster fire.

Apologies having recently binged The Wire I'm going through withdrawal.

Then you're a f***ing moron because The Wire is like an entertaining documentary on why Baltimore is such a dumpster fire.

Such is my burden, to be a f***ing moron because of my entertainment choices.

I am the first to say it is inappropriate (note, inappropriate is different than illegal) for state governments and agencies to fly the flag on state grounds. I hold the same is true for the rainbow flag. It would be inappropriate for the any state government or agency to fly that flag on their grounds.

I am also the first to say anyone can fly the rebel flag personally if they want, just that they should probably just be aware of it's actual history (particularly how and why it was incorporated into the canton of the second and third official CSA flags and its 20th century rebirth as a symbol of resistance to the work to end Jim Crow) and understand there are social consequences to having that banner (yes, it makes many people wonder if the person flying that flag is uneducated or a bigot or both).

But to try to pull all references to it, particularly past references? Not only is that ridiculous, it's impractical.

The pendulum swung so far so quickly that it's bound to come over and around on the other side...

Calling someone a moron for their entertainment choice doesn't exactly make you look like a genius friend.

The flag has been, at a minimum, a symbol of a treasonous, violent rebellion led by military officers who violated their oaths to the U.S. to lead insurrection. I've often wondered why anyone claiming to be patriotic would have anything to do with it for years And overnight this has gone nuts.

Because the US Government was one that derived its strength from dissent and resistance from the moments of its foundation.

Patriotism in the United States means constantly rebelling against the powers that be, not accepting them.

Not the way it works. You got a problem vote someone else in office. Using violence because you didn't get your way sounds like the mentality of our homegrown terrorists.

While I'll debate all day the quality of The Wire vs The Dukes of Hazzard the second line in my post indicates my response was not all that serious.

I'm no racist, but it bothered me when semi-recent versions of the General Lee on TV / movies were shown without the confederate flag on the roof. It's iconic. That's like taking the Red whooshing "eye" off K.I.T.T. because it offends robots or iPads or something.

I can understand why somebody would be upset of course, but this is about a TV show.

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 2

I find it incredibly interesting that we as a society, during this information age, are generally utilizing it to push the censorship of media, documents, websites...

In this regard, signs of end-times for freedom of thought keep popping up... But I try to be optimistic despite them. We're not going to go off the edge completely, right? We'll stop at about where we are now, keep a healthy enough balance? ...

Signs of end times for freedom? I am here to tell you that compared to when I was your age we have already lost a great amount of freedom, especially the freedom to express your thoughts and views. Oh yeah. You can express them so long as they are the pc views.

You can't even hold a conversation with someone anymore. Everything and anything you say seems to be used against you.

We'll stop right here only if we stop it. But, like I already said, no one is much interested because it hasn't affected them yet. It might be too late by then to do anything. As it is, the door is almost shut.

The flag has been, at a minimum, a symbol of a treasonous, violent rebellion led by military officers who violated their oaths to the U.S. to lead insurrection. I've often wondered why anyone claiming to be patriotic would have anything to do with it for years And overnight this has gone nuts.

Because the US Government was one that derived its strength from dissent and resistance from the moments of its foundation.

Patriotism in the United States means constantly rebelling against the powers that be, not accepting them.

Not the way it works. You got a problem vote someone else in office. Using violence because you didn't get your way sounds like the mentality of our homegrown terrorists.

What were the founding fathers if not terrorists against the British? Tactics aren't the issue, values are.

If the government doesn't follow it's own rules, Democracy becomes meaningless.

Edited by KenJennings

Coming soon:

You can no longer bring the Union Jack flag to any Who or Def Leppard concerts?

Ok, now THAT just sounds ridiculous.

• Like 1

Pulled for fear it might offend somebody?

Did Fraroc have something to do with this?

• Like 6

The vise tightens even more.

When are we going to rise up against what is happening? Probably when it comes knocking at your door. And eventually it will knock on everyone's door.

:goodone: Yep...
  • Like 1

I am offended by the mediocrity served as fun and fast food in McDonalds.

I am disgusted cigarettes are legal.

I still cannot believe people watch Entourage.

But are these things banned?

Maybe the key is to put a flag on top!

• Like 1

Just because you're offended, doesn't mean your right. But this is bullshit, they should just say it's a product of the times or something. Warner Brothers does this for cartoons with stereotypical or racist depictions on their older cartoons. They don't remove them, they simply add this disclaimer

http://i.imgur.com/U8UZyVI.jpg'

Not saying the Dukes of Hazzard thing is as bad but they could add a little thing like this and leave the show untouched if people are so squeamish. Everyone wins and we don't look like pussies for it

• Like 5

I still cannot believe people watch Entourage.

Even people who watched the dumb series did not go see the movie.

Thank god that ship has sank!!!

Now go grow some more hair Jeremy Piven

• Like 1

It has been theorized by people smarter than me that is a publicity stunt getting TV Land free exposure. Reminding people that from the choices out there that TV Land still exists.