spoiled

Like a lot of people, I try to avoid setlist as much as possible, almost never 100% though. I remember at the Snakes and Arrows tour, I knew a little (more than I wanted) and my brother knew nothing, so I was excited how he would react to the surprises. We were in our seats talking with some people in front of us before the show and this chick was about to go into the setlist. I jumped in and BEGGED her not to say anything.

Guess what the bitch did

You guessed right. She blurted out Entre Nous. I never wanted to give someone a roundhouse kick to the face more in my life. We made up for it by snagging a $15 beer she had stashed under her seat.

Any other bad spoiler stories?

• Like 1

Yeah I don't get that. Now that we are in the age of the Internet we can find out the set list ahead of time. I think it's great.
  • Like 3

Like a lot of people, I try to avoid setlist as much as possible, almost never 100% though. I remember at the Snakes and Arrows tour, I knew a little (more than I wanted) and my brother knew nothing, so I was excited how he would react to the surprises. We were in our seats talking with some people in front of us before the show and this chick was about to go into the setlist. I jumped in and BEGGED her not to say anything.

Guess what the bitch did

You guessed right. She blurted out Entre Nous. I never wanted to give someone a roundhouse kick to the face more in my life. We made up for it by snagging a $15 beer she had stashed under her seat.

Seriously? You got PO'd and retaliated by stealing her beer because some "bitch" near you said the name of a song?? I'm sorry, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the term "class act" has never been used to describe you...

• Like 2

Sorry, but a lot of people take the whole spoiler thing very seriously. Hence the no spoilers thread. When you BEG someone to respect your wishes and months of diligence in not looking at the setlist, only to have the rug pulled out from under you minutes before the show that is beyond rude. I suggest you redefine your definition of "class act"
  • Like 2

It's tough today because everyone has access to finding setlists pretty easily. I remember a couple of years ago when I saw Judas Priest, the guy standing in front of me had the setlist printed out on a sheet of paper and was looking at it out in the open before the show. If anyone who was standing by him was curious to what he was reading and took a peek, they would have been spoiled if they were trying to avoid it. The same with anyone looking at the setlist on their phone. Spoilers are everywhere now, so don't think you can always avoid them. Especially on show day if fans around you are talking about it.

What I don't get is this anger the non spoiler fans have towards finding out a song the band is playing? Instead of being pissed, when that person told me they were playing Entre Nous, my reaction would have been "Entre Nous? No f'ing way!! Holy shit, I can't wait to hear it!!" I mean you're already at the show at this point, what's it matter if you find something out just a little while before the band hits the stage?

The person who mentioned the song may have been really excited they were playing it and just blurted it out without even thinking. I doubt they were trying to spoil things for you specifically.

• Like 4

Guess what the bitch did

Seriously? You got PO'd and retaliated by stealing her beer because some "bitch" near you said the name of a song??

It's pretty ridiculous, isn't it?

• Like 1

In my entire life, this is the only tour where I wanted to be surprised, and thank goodness for that because it was a real pain in the ass avoiding spoilers. Unfollowing Facebook Rush groups, Rush friends, etc to do it. And even that may not be enough. Pre-show party in Chicago, a table full of guys were talking loudly about previous shows. So I got up and walked away. Not a whole lot you can do. Some people are sensitive about it, others either are not OR they are just human and forget themselves.

Suffice it to say, I'll probably never do it again!

The show in Chicago for this tour was my first real concert as well as my first Rush show, and my Dad and I tried pretty diligently to avoid spoilers, but ultimately he was somewhat unsuccessful as he discovered two or three songs they were playing about a month or so before the show and of course felt obligated to let me know. I would've been disappointed when I discovered the couple of spoilers, but based on what they were I was immediately extremely excited and even more pumped for the show.

In the end though, all that really matters is how well you enjoy the show, whether you know the songs ahead of time or not. I mean, it's obvious Rush are always going to play TS, TSOR, and at least part of 2112 on every tour, yet everyone still gets uber-excited when they play those songs, so that pretty much proves it's less about the surprise and more about the experience.

• Like 1

I love spoilers because if you avoid them and convince yourself they'll play a certain song or whatever and you've built yourself up and they don't then your gutted (a bit like wishing for a special Christmas present and not getting it) BUT if you find out they are playing certain songs then your excitement grows as the day of the show approaches,

To get all bent out of shape, call a female a bitch and steal her drink is just acting like a spoilt child and very sad!!

• Like 2

Just to clarify, nobody got "bent out of shape" over it. She understood that it was rude to spoil it for us, and understood about the beer. We shared a few after the show. She now understands what "spoilers" are and that it means a lot to a lot of people. We respect each other. Unlike people who use the anonymity of an online forum to be judgmental douchbags

Just to clarify, nobody got "bent out of shape" over it. She understood that it was rude to spoil it for us, and understood about the beer. We shared a few after the show. She now understands what "spoilers" are and that it means a lot to a lot of people. We respect each other. Unlike people who use the anonymity of an online forum to be judgmental douchbags

Well, maybe you should have included the rest of that in your first post. Because the original story didn't make you come across in a good light. Sometimes adding a few more details makes all the difference.

Awe come on, in your OP, what you described (calling her a bitch and stealing the $15 beer she had stashed under her seat) sounds like a douche bag move. Now, if you'd have mentioned all of this in your OP instead of backpedaling 6 days later, maybe there would have been less "judgement". Don't you think?

For the future, perhaps you should understand that when you start a thread on a public forum, chances are, not everyone is going to share your sentiment and will voice their opposing/different opinions. That's what forums are about. As such, getting bent outta shape because you didn't hear what you wanted to hear is rather naive.

• Like 2

Perhaps you should understand that I didn't want to go into an unnecessarily long story just to ask if anyone had any bad spoiler stories. Your judgmental douchbaggery made it into a "thing" that it didn't need to be.

Just because something isn't important to you doesn't mean it's not important.

Perhaps you should understand that I didn't want to go into an unnecessarily long story just to ask if anyone had any bad spoiler stories. Your judgmental douchbaggery made it into a "thing" that it didn't need to be.

Wow, coming off way too angry aren't we? I can't speak for anyone else but I certainly didn't comment with the intent of being a judgment douchebag. Just giving my thoughts on the topic brought up. I had no bad intentions with what I said.

• Like 1

I can kind of understand how important it was to you, my Friend. What I don't understand is the pointless and immature retaliation, after the fact. If your biggest tragedy that night was that someone said the name of a song before you wanted to hear it, then I want YOUR life. There are bigger things to get upset about.

Further, your continued "douche bag" comments only confirm your level of immaturity. Clearly, you need to grow a thicker skin. At this point, it's probably better just to let this thread die...

First she was a bitch, whose beer you took and who you wanted to roundhouse kick in the face for only naming one song out of an over two-hour show, and now you made nice with her later in the show, and she was sorry for spoiling the surprise, understanding about the beer and no one was bent out of shape. Make up your mind.

one last thing about spoilers, then I'll shut up about it. If you really want to avoid them, follow a band that plays a different set every show, like Clutch or Soundgarden or the Dead (oh wait, they just retired, forget about seeing a Dead show).
  • Like 1

First she was a bitch, whose beer you took and who you wanted to roundhouse kick in the face for only naming one song out of an over two-hour show, and now you made nice with her later in the show, and she was sorry for spoiling the surprise, understanding about the beer and no one was bent out of shape. Make up your mind.

The roundhouse kick was, I thought, a clear exaggeration for dramas sake. Don't tell me that you thought someone could actually get that pissed over something like this. Better watch it or someone may question your maturity. And, yes we did make nice. Is that so odd? For Gods sake, this thread has been blown out of proportion WAY more than the actual incident. So, the original question would go out to those who care about spoilers, not those who don't care, or are indifferent.

Have a nice day.

I just can't wait until it's all over so we don't have to worry about personally offending someone with one of 423,876 different spoilers.
  • Like 3

I can think of alot more things in life to get angry about other than what songs are played at a concert. Get a perspective people.

Most of the crap people get angry about are petty.

The whole 'avoiding spoilers' thing is unnecessary and just self-induced stress IMO. I knew the set list and I enjoyed the show...so what's the problem?

Since they didn't have a new album and this was a anniversery tour, a blind monkey could have figured out 2/3rds of the set list.

Since they didn't have a new album and this was a anniversery tour, a blind monkey could have figured out 2/3rds of the set list.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/black-guys-laughing.gif

True, but this never had anything to do with the current tour. :atickhum:

Edited by msrushfreak