No sound coming from my Mac mini

blueschica

I'm hoping someone can maybe help with this; or confirm what I think is going on. Our family went on vacation 10 days ago and did the usual stuff (lock up etc.) but it got hectic and I thought my husband unplugged the computer setup and he thought I unplugged it. :banghead: :banghead: Got home to find a huge storm went through, Comcast was out for our side of the street and our house had a close lightning hit. Our cable boxes (yes, still have cable) were fried along with our modem/router and monitor but thought the Mac mini was OK. (late 2014 model.) Got a new monitor today , everything OK until I went to watch some Rush on Youtube and no sound :( (Asus monitor with built in speakers, not the most expensive set up but I like it.) Can't get the computer to recognize any sound output devices in the system preferences.( iTunes won't play anything either.) From trying to read about it; there is some connection in the Mac mini that can maybe come loose that affects the sound output? Did the lightning fry it after all? I dunno. (And I got it from Amazon so I will have to mail it for service instead of the Apple genius bar, sigh, :banghead: :banghead: ) Any ideas would be greatly appreciated !!!!

I know this sounds lame and basic but did you try restarting the machine? Sometimes my Mac freaks out and the sound stops coming through the speakers until I restart it.

I know this sounds lame and basic but did you try restarting the machine? Sometimes my Mac freaks out and the sound stops coming through the speakers until I restart it.

Thanks, yes, I was hoping that would do the trick but it hasn't seemed to have worked. . . .darn it. . . thanks though!

Actually it turned out to be not much harder than this. Some kind of 'handshake' issue between the new monitor and the Mac. My husband worked on it again this morning; something about changing the volume level on the Mac, not with the monitor button, made the computer recognize the new monitor. So glad to have R40 videos back with SOUND !!! :) :) especially since we were dumb bunnies when we left the house!

• Like 3