SONG BATTLE: High Water vs. Emotion Detector

fraroc

43 members have voted

1. 1. High Water vs Emotion Detector

• High Water
    • Emotion Detector

Two forgotten synth era songs that are underrated in my mind and that Rush has never done live. Which one will win in a head-2-head battle?

I make it no secret that I really like High Water, it's a very atmospheric song that doesn't get NEARLY as much love as it deserves. Geddy's bass playing on track is top notch as always and the synths and drum beats really go together very nicely. Sure, it drags a lot and is weak compared to a song like Mystic Rhythms, but it's not bad.

Emotion Detector is the song everybody forgets exists on Power Windows, tis a shame because I really like this song. I love the synths, the chorus has a nice hook, and I wish that they would have done this one live.

Both songs are pretty mediocre in my opinion. But of the two, Emotion Detector is slightly better crafted.
  • Like 2

High Water and Tai Shan are both 10's for me. Two of my very favourite Rush songs and in my head inseparable from each other. High Water wins against ED easily.

But I also like ED so this poll is a winner no matter which gets the most votes.

• Like 1

I prefer Emotion Detector but both songs are quite forgettable imo. The worst of their respective albums.

High Water - Criminally underrated song. I don't know why it's so underrated. Maybe because it comes after Tai Shan, and once Tai Shan comes along, the album is practically over... I love High Water though!!!!!!

That's the opposite for me. I love Tai Shan but don't care about High Water

Edited by Tuesday's Gone

Water detector...High Emotion...

I went with the Hold Your Fire song. I honestly can't remember how the other song goes, it's been years since I've listened to PoW.

Very difficult choice for me. I love both songs.

I think High Water has to win. I fail to accurately explain the why of it. But it does.

• Like 1

Emotion Detector is so beautifully crafted, the instrumental section is one of their best. Great synth work as well...High Water is awesome too though
  • Like 1

I might give just a bit of an edge to "High Water" myself, since I like everything about "Emotion Detector" except the choruses...somehow was never completely sold on that part. But plenty to like on both songs. I was really into Andy Richards' arrangement style in the '80s and love the synth textures, and of course Geddy's bass playing is just hyperactive brilliance on practically every song on both PoW and HYF. Even these two less often discussed album cuts are songs I'd take over a large percentage of what came after HYF.
  • Like 1