Guitars and basses on Moving Pictures

rushfanslo

Judging by listening and previous lists I came up with this:

Tom Sawyer: Gibson ES-355 or Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion, 1972 Jazz Bass

Red Barchetta: Gibson ES-335, Rickenbacker Bass

YYZ: Porkflapsocaster (black strat), Jazz Bass

Limelight: Hentor Sportscaster (white strat), Rickenbacker Bass

The Camera Eye: Gibson Howaed Roberts Fusion or ES-335, 1972 Jazz Bass (Ged used it on MP tour on this track) (there vas a video of the begining but I cant find it)

Witch Hunt: Gibson ES-355 or Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion, Rickenbacker Bass

Vital Signs: Hentor Sportscaster, 1972 Jazz Bass

What do you think?

Moving Pictures is pre Hentor. The video for Limelight he's playing the black Strat with what looks like a PAF not a Lawrence, same goes for the white Strat which is in the Vital Signs video. The Tom Sawyer video he's playing the 355 on the rhythm parts and a black 345 or 355 on the solo. :)

Yeah but those two were the guitars which were transformed into Sportscaster and Porkflapsocaster (they had the necks, hardware and pickups changed). Also Al stated that he used the HRF for Tom Sawyer so I believe that the ES-es were just used for the video as was the black strat for the Limelight video. The black strat (Porkflapsocaster) is also the guitar with wihch The Spirit of the Radio was recorded (it was Lerxst's first strat that he owned, he only borrowed one for Lakeside Park).

Those videos are of the recording sessions in Le Studio. It was the first time they allowed cameras in.

Furthermore their memories are a little suspect. On the first night of the tour Geddy introduced a song that appears on a live album as "we've never played this live before" having no recollection of ever playing it live (trying to avoid spoilers). Just as an example. Also all three of them are fuzzy about dates. They are rock stars... what do they care what year such and such happened? :)

Moving Pictures is pre Hentor. The video for Limelight he's playing the black Strat with what looks like a PAF not a Lawrence, same goes for the white Strat which is in the Vital Signs video. The Tom Sawyer video he's playing the 355 on the rhythm parts and a black 345 or 355 on the solo. :)

Those videos aren't live, though, right? Is it possible they just grabbed whatever guitar were handy for the video shoots?

• Like 1

If I remember right, Ged said that Moving Pictures was all pretty much Jazz Bass...this is when he moved away from the Ricky.

I'm pretty sure he said Jacob's Ladder was the Ric.

If I remember right, Ged said that Moving Pictures was all pretty much Jazz Bass...this is when he moved away from the Ricky.

JL, should be noted, is on PeW.

Not exactly. It was about half and half IIRC.

And? I was just saying that it was.

My bad. I thought your comment was in context of the stuff you quoted.

Yeah I was just typing out loud. :D

4:10

The Rickenbacker is on Red Barchetta and Limelight according to Ged.I think it's also on Witch Hunt.

Ged seemed less than certain it was the Rick on Limelight.

I drive a Rav4.

I drive a Rav4.

I used to have one. :)

Those videos aren't live, though, right? Is it possible they just grabbed whatever guitar were handy for the video shoots?

The Limelight solo definitely looks like the kept take to me because of a subtle part that seems to be one of those happy accidents. I wouldn't call it a mistake but it's a spot where the way he moves the whammy bar in a rhythmic way that kind of trgiggers into the delay that would be hard to reproduce in the exact same way. I believe that the some of the vocals are also takes that were kept. And when the three of them are in the room together are drum takes. I don't think they would do a show for cameras while recording a record. I think more than anything they wanted to document the recording sessions. But that's me.

Most of this seems right but just a few side notes...

For Tom Sawyer, Alex was using a Black 355 or 335 in the video.

Both the black and white strats had PAFs in the bridge pos (I have no idea when the red one was even bought, let alone if he had a PAF in it), so it may be possible he used the white one for Limelight before the cameras were rolling.

Most of this seems right but just a few side notes...

For Tom Sawyer, Alex was using a Black 355 or 335 in the video.

Both the black and white strats had PAFs in the bridge pos (I have no idea when the red one was even bought, let alone if he had a PAF in it), so it may be possible he used the white one for Limelight before the cameras were rolling.

345 or 355, judging by the inlay. :) Looks like parallelogram not block or dots which means 345 or 355. It could be a Lucille but seems to have f holes where Lucille's do not. Plus gold hardware. Don't recall seeing a 335 with gold hardware.