What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

i got into a big argument with my mom about the trauma she's caused me. it was pointless, it's like talking to a brick wall with her.

It`s why my wife has no contact with her family, and it`s been over four years now since she has - her mental health has been so much better since, like a different person. Her mother was pretty much as poisonous a woman as I`ve ever met. I speak to my parents, but it`s always been walking a tightrope because I haven`t been the son they wanted or expected me to be. Once we`ve sold our house, we`re moving to Scotland. This is my polite way of me saying I need to be free from you. I rang her from the hospital last week, whilst my wife was in eye casualty, and within a minute it turned into how I`m neglecting her. Everything is about how things could affect her.

Hopefully there is a less dramatic solution for you and I`m sure other posters have better ideas :)

i can't wait until i can finally move out. i NEED to get away from her for my mental health.
  • Like 1

i got into a big argument with my mom about the trauma she's caused me. it was pointless, it's like talking to a brick wall with her.

I only remember one or two of your postings about this and I'm just throwing this out there in case it is useful. A friend of mine with a traumatic childhood (dad was a drug dealer, mom had some problems) found that going to a local Adult Children of Alcoholics meeting group was really helpful. That is the name (ACA) because it started along with AA, but it really is for people who have stress from any type of parent addictive behavior. If it doesn't apply to your situation, no worries. :hi:

I'll look into that! im desparately trying to find a therapist as well, particularly one who specializes in trauma.
  • Like 2

My mother's sister died. It wasn't covid. It was lymphedema.

So sorry Krystal :rose: :hug2: Hope she had family with her, it is so sad when they can't be there.

I just found out my childhood friend in CA died from Covid, only lasted a week. That's 3 people I knew who have died from this plague, it stinks. :(

So sorry Krystal :rose: :hug2: Hope she had family with her, it is so sad when they can't be there.

I just found out my childhood friend in CA died from Covid, only lasted a week. That's 3 people I knew who have died from this plague, it stinks. :(

Wow, that's so awful. So sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear this, Rhyta. It's so hard to lose a childhood friend. I hope the memories can comfort you. Covid stinks.

• Like 2

Thinking of the people working in the food and beverage stores.

Jumped into a Publix, and the deli section was a zoo. Not only the cold cuts counter, but the line up for freshly made sub sandwiches, and another line up of people picking up deli, seafood, and chicken platters for the game.

Then to the Italian market for other pizza supplies. The "meat counter", a long U shaped area, combining meat, seafood, deli/prepared foods, and subs to order, all served by a single pull a numbered tab dispenser, is slightly organized chaos. Counter man: "33. 34. 35. 36. Anybody got a number?.... 40." Me: "Yo, four zero". Get some in store made Italian Sausage, some premium pepperoni, and on to slightly organized chaos part two, aka the baked goods section.

And it's only Friday before the game. Pray for these people, they'll need it!

• Like 1

Our furnace went out, and it is -8 with the wind chill factor. We have northeast winds up to 35 mph. The temp without the windchill is 18.

Things are so bad all around that this final straw actually made me laugh.

But at least we have electricity and can plug in electric heaters.

This too shall pass.

I hope. :(

Edited by Lorraine

Our furnace went out, and it is -8 with the wind chill factor. We have northeast winds up to 35 mph. The temp without the windchill is 18.

This too shall pass.

Oh no! They were just mentioning, on our Pennsylvania weather, how cold it was going to be in Idaho. Is there someone near you who would do an emergency repair? I'm glad you have electric heaters, anyway, but will they be warm enough?

• Like 2

With solid trays and baking sheets, a few candles can do wonders!

But they use up oxygen in small spaces...

This too shall pass.

Oh no! They were just mentioning, on our Pennsylvania weather, how cold it was going to be in Idaho. Is there someone near you who would do an emergency repair? I'm glad you have electric heaters, anyway, but will they be warm enough?

He didn't show up until after 4 - the motor is gone and he can't pick up a new one until tomorrow. Right now it is 12 outside without the wind chill.

We have two space heaters. One for the bedroom which should suffice and another I will leave running at 68 in the living room

I put the oven on 200 and opened up the door to heat up the kitchen area.

Have to leave the water running in the sinks so the pipes don't freeze. More troubles, I do not need.

This too shall pass.

He didn't show up until after 4 - the motor is gone and he can't pick up a new one until tomorrow. Right now it is 12 outside without the wind chill.

We have two space heaters. One for the bedroom which should suffice and another I will leave running at 68 in the living room

I put the oven on 200 and opened up the door to heat up the kitchen area.

Have to leave the water running in the sinks so the pipes don't freeze. More troubles, I do not need.

:hug2: :hug2: I'm glad someone is working on it! But of course, Murphy's law, what a bad time to have it happen.

• Like 1

My landlord came over today and informed us that his son wants to build a home on the 5-acre parcel of land our rental is on. In this county, there can only be one residence on any 5-acre parcel.

We have to move.

Where? And with what? The average rent out here is well over $1,000 a month. We can't afford that. We can't get any help from DSHS because our monthly income is $300 more than their limit. I want to know who sets these amounts, and I'd like to see the person who does live on what they think two people can live on. In today's economy, it cannot be done.

I am too old for this and too worn out.

My landlord came over today and informed us that his son wants to build a home on the 5-acre parcel of land our rental is on. In this county, there can only be one residence on any 5-acre parcel.

We have to move.

Where? And with what? The average rent out here is well over $1,000 a month. We can't afford that. We can't get any help from DSHS because our monthly income is $300 more than their limit. I want to know who sets these amounts, and I'd like to see the person who does live on what they think two people can live on. In today's economy, it cannot be done.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: That sounds like awful news! Didn't you guys just move there a year or two ago? Moving is such a chore and especially with your husband being ill. I'm really sorry to hear this and I hope the son that wants to build breaks a leg or something.

I don't suppose the landlord would want to look into getting a zoning variance to allow you to be on a corner of the property or something? Or could you spread the word at church about looking for housing? My prayers will be with you sweetie. :hug2: :hug2:

• Like 3

We have to move.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: That sounds like awful news! Didn't you guys just move there a year or two ago? Moving is such a chore and especially with your husband being ill. I'm really sorry to hear this and I hope the son that wants to build breaks a leg or something.

I don't suppose the landlord would want to look into getting a zoning variance to allow you to be on a corner of the property or something? Or could you spread the word at church about looking for housing? My prayers will be with you sweetie. :hug2: :hug2:

one house per 5 acres? 5 acres would be plenty of space for 6-7 houses where I live. sounds excessive to me.

• Like 1

We have to move.

Given the condition of your husband, wouldn't he be considered disabled? There's got to be some kind of help out there for you.

• Like 1

Our black cat, Tiki, has to go for oral surgery on Tuesday. She has had a head cold for a month and it turns out it is infected sinuses due to at least one rotten tooth. :( It makes me sad because I love our vet, an elderly mom and pop type vet guy, but he saw her twice in the last 2 weeks and totally missed her very loose front tooth. :(

My daughter in law manages an animal shelter and she was the one who noticed after about 5 seconds. :( (Of course I hadnt noticed either :o) Anyway, our vet doesnt do much dental stuff and I am kind of wondering about him now anyway. We have to go an hour away for this because none of the vets in town are taking new patients during covid.

I hope everything with the tooth (or teeth) :o extraction goes ok.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 4

Our black cat, Tiki, has to go for oral surgery on Tuesday. She has had a head cold for a month and it turns out it is infected sinuses due to at least one rotten tooth. :( It makes me sad because I love our vet, an elderly mom and pop type vet guy, but he saw her twice in the last 2 weeks and totally missed her very loose front tooth. :(

My daughter in law manages an animal shelter and she was the one who noticed after about 5 seconds. :( (Of course I hadnt noticed either :o) Anyway, our vet doesnt do much dental stuff and I am kind of wondering about him now anyway. We have to go an hour away for this because none of the vets in town are taking new patients during covid.

How old is Tiki? I would ask your vet before you go in if he will do blood work on her to monitor her reaction to the anesthesia. Older cats need to be monitored closely, they are often more sensitive to the drugs. Not trying to alarm you but if you have reservations about your vet, see what he tells you. I only say this out of concern, my vet would do this with our cats when they were over 8 years old just for precaution. I'm not sure I am explaining it well but I think it is worth checking out. Our furry friends are important members of the family.

• Like 2

How old is Tiki? I would ask your vet before you go in if he will do blood work on her to monitor her reaction to the anesthesia. Older cats need to be monitored closely, they are often more sensitive to the drugs. Not trying to alarm you but if you have reservations about your vet, see what he tells you. I only say this out of concern, my vet would do this with our cats when they were over 8 years old just for precaution. I'm not sure I am explaining it well but I think it is worth checking out. Our furry friends are important members of the family.

Aww, thanks.:heart: Tiki was a shelter rescue and is very dear to us. Fortunately, vet# 2 did do blood work and urinalysis; we were very happy (and kind of surprised that all is normal.

I hope it resolves well, I will be glad when it does. It was a stressful week. We have been seeing the same elderly country vet for years and I had no idea that cat vet care had progressed so much. Our vet had never done blood work in 20 years (multiple cats) all they ever did was weigh them and give me flea stuff.

I guess we were lucky and I had no idea until Tiki was so miserable I finally decided I had to get a second opinion with another young vet who was so nice. She was the one thst opened my eyes to blood work etc being standard these days along with tooth care, etc. and she thinks there is a large tooth abscess that the older vet missed twice. Sigh. Fingers crossed for Tuesday!

And yes, Tiki is 14 so it's hard to know what to do. But she is healthy and perky otherwise so we will try the tooth extraction. But my mom is not a big cat person and she is like, "Why are you doing this again?" :huh: Sigh.

I hope your fur babies are doing well! :heart:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

Last night I was listening to The Police. One Police album in particular reminds me of a man that I fell hard and fast for in 1983. However, the feeling was not mutual. This occupied two years of my life and led me into my second rehab and then a halfway house. One song in particular that always reminds me of him and that time is The Police's "You'll Be Wrapped Around My Finger."

For whatever reason, when I was listening to it last night, I decided to put this person's name into the search engine and see what would come up.

What came up was his obituary. He died last August.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Last night I was listening to The Police. One Police album in particular reminds me of a man that I fell hard and fast for in 1983. However, the feeling was not mutual. This occupied two years of my life and led me into my second rehab and then a halfway house. One song in particular that always reminds me of him and that time is The Police's "You'll Be Wrapped Around My Finger."

For whatever reason, when I was listening to it last night, I decided to put this person's name into the search engine and see what would come up.

Geez. Those kinds of things always shake me a bit.
  • Like 2

Geez. Those kinds of things always shake me a bit.

It shook me all right. I found out right in the middle of the song I used to play and cry my eyeballs out over him all those years ago. What made it worse is that his obit had a picture of him too. :sigh:

• Like 3