What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

Continuing clean-up of rubble and wreckage from three tornadoes that tore up my town last week.

I am much more fortunate than a lot of other people were.

Holy shit! Glad to hear you're okay. Good luck with everything. Nice to see you back! :cheers:

Thank you, sir...yeah, it was really bad, having three tornadoes on the ground within thirty minutes of one another, in different parts of the city- all of them EF3 and EF4 in strength. That was on Memorial Day, about 11PM to midnight.

Man, that would be SCARY! In the dark and all!

aHL60ex.jpg

Yes, it was...I sat and watched the local news/weather coverage in the basement, until the electricity went out- and then just sat in the dark and listened to the wind.

A half mile north of where I live, about two dozen homes were completely destroyed.

Yeah, I remember doing 'The Basement Thing in The house I was a child in in Ypsilanti one night. School was almost out for the summer, and I remember looking at the playground behind the school. Ericson elementary the next day. Very scary indeed!

nnaburu.jpg

• Like 1

I hate having to watch a cat die.

My Otto is 17 and dying.

:hug2: :hug2: Hugs to you and Otto. I've been through that with a few cats and it's so difficult. :(

• Like 2

My Otto is 17 and dying.

He died last night at about 7:00.

Goodbye Otto. I will miss you.

I'm so sorry, Lorraine. :hug2: It sounded like he had a good life, but losing a pet leaves such an empty space. :( Do you have any other cats?

• Like 2

My Otto is 17 and dying.

My condolences, Lorraine. Keep on keepin' on! This sucks. Keep your chin Up!

37uog3w.gif

• Like 2

My Otto is 17 and dying.

I'm so sorry, Lorraine. :hug2: It sounded like he had a good life, but losing a pet leaves such an empty space. :( Do you have any other cats?

Yes, I have a 15 year old female, but she's kind of remote and we never really connected. Otto was special. He used to be an outdoor cat. One day he came in and I noticed he had a hard time walking. A bone was sticking out of one of his hind legs. A car apparently had hit him. Fortunately for Otto, I had money at the time and rushed him to the vet. They were almost closing and could do no better than wrap his leg up, give me some meds to keep him quiet, and tell me to bring him back the next day, but the break was bad and she was suggesting amputation. Amputation was something I refused to do. The next day, her father was on duty and he said he thought he could save the leg. He did, but it was a long healing process for Otto. He never went out again.

He used to always wait at the window for me to come home and greet me at the door.

I will miss him.

I hate having pets. It's so hard when they die.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

My Otto is 17 and dying.

Yes, I have a 15 year old female, but she's kind of remote and we never really connected. Otto was special. He used to be an outdoor cat. One day he came in and I noticed he had a hard time walking. A bone was sticking out of one of his hind legs. A car apparently had hit him. Fortunately for Otto, I had money at the time and rushed him to the vet. They were almost closing and could do no better than wrap his leg up, give me some meds to keep him quiet, and tell me to bring him back the next day, but the break was bad and she was suggesting amputation. Amputation was something I refused to do. The next day, her father was on duty and he said he thought he could save the leg. He did, but it was a long healing process for Otto. He never went out again.

He used to always wait at the window for me to come home and greet me at the door.

I will miss him.

He sounds like he was awesome! ❤❤❤

• Like 3

My Otto is 17 and dying.

I will miss him.

He sounds like he was awesome! ❤❤❤

The pain of losing a friend like that is a testament to just how much joy they brought in life.

:rose: Otto. :rose:

• Like 3

I am so sorry Lorraine. It is so hard to lose your furry friends, they are so precious. Sometimes they are better than people to have around, they listen and love you back. Otto sounds like a wonderful companion. :rose: :heart: Take care my friend :hug2: Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

I am now facing the loss of our sweet Mommy kitty Minnie. She is 15 and still getting around but the poor thing can't keep much weight on her, just skinny and eats 3 times a day but her little bones stick out all over. She doesn't seem to be in pain but I hate the realization that we will be losing her. She is a beautiful dilute calico British shorthair. We did some breeding for a short time and she had 3 wonderful litters. The father of the kittens was named Harry Potter so we of course named all the cats after characters from the books, Minnie was short for Prof. Minerva McGonagal. She was awarded a Distinguished Merit Award in 2007. That means that she was the mother of 5 kittens that became Grand Champions or Grand Premiers (neuters). It was fun and we took many of them to shows and most were bought by friends and went on to become Champions themselves. We did keep some too, especially the ones that we got attached to. We have Winky and Ron Weasley still here too along with our other rescues.

I just dread taking her to the vet but it is coming soon. I share your pain Lorraine, I have lost many furry friends over the years and it never gets easier. :rose:

• Like 2

I am now facing the loss of our sweet Mommy kitty Minnie. She is 15 and still getting around but the poor thing can't keep much weight on her, just skinny and eats 3 times a day but her little bones stick out all over. She doesn't seem to be in pain but I hate the realization that we will be losing her. She is a beautiful dilute calico British shorthair. We did some breeding for a short time and she had 3 wonderful litters. The father of the kittens was named Harry Potter so we of course named all the cats after characters from the books, Minnie was short for Prof. Minerva McGonagal. She was awarded a Distinguished Merit Award in 2007. That means that she was the mother of 5 kittens that became Grand Champions or Grand Premiers (neuters). It was fun and we took many of them to shows and most were bought by friends and went on to become Champions themselves. We did keep some too, especially the ones that we got attached to. We have Winky and Ron Weasley still here too along with our other rescues.

I just dread taking her to the vet but it is coming soon. I share your pain Lorraine, I have lost many furry friends over the years and it never gets easier. :rose:

Otto had been reduced to skin and bones too. That's common when cats get old. I understand that they often develop diabetes and/or thyroid problems that cause it. If you have the money, why don't you bring her in for blood work to find out if she can be helped by shots? I didn't have the money for that else I would have done it.

I am genuinely sorry to hear about Minnie. If you have any pictures of her, please post them, I'd love to see them. Minnie sounds like a real beauty.

If they're not in pain, I don't do that anymore - bring them to a vet to euthanize them. I let them die when it's time for them to die. I'd rather watch that than agonize over whether I made the right decision with having them put down when I did.

You're right; it never gets easier. Even when you are expecting it to happen. In fact, the older I am getting, the harder it is becoming for me to shake things off.

Take care, my friend. :hug2:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Otto had been reduced to skin and bones too. That's common when cats get old. I understand that they often develop diabetes and/or thyroid problems that cause it. If you have the money, why don't you bring her in for blood work to find out if she can be helped by shots? I didn't have the money for that else I would have done it.

I am genuinely sorry to hear about Minnie. If you have any pictures of her, please post them, I'd love to see them. Minnie sounds like a real beauty.

If they're not in pain, I don't do that anymore - bring them to a vet to euthanize them. I let them die when it's time for them to die. I'd rather watch that than agonize over whether I made the right decision with having them put down when I did.

Sorry for your loss Lorraine. I feel worse about pets dying than alot of humans.

:rose:

• Like 3

Sorry for your loss Lorraine. I feel worse about pets dying than alot of humans.

:rose:

Hemi, thanks. I was going to post that, but decided against it.

I do too.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Heard that Johnny Clegg died yesterday of pancreatic cancer. He was a white musician who played with an African band in South Africa during apartheid. Knew a few of his songs, found a cool video of him and Nelson Mandela came on stage with him...

RIP :rose:

• Like 2

Well, I lost my sweet Minnie yesterday. She wouldn't eat for a day and half so I couldn't take it anymore. Such a cutie, still feisty to the end, gave the vet techs hell. It hurts to let them go but I didn't want her to starve to death. Hoping she's on the Rainbow Bridge with our other kitties. :rose: :heart:

• Like 2

Well, I lost my sweet Minnie yesterday. She wouldn't eat for a day and half so I couldn't take it anymore. Such a cutie, still feisty to the end, gave the vet techs hell. It hurts to let them go but I didn't want her to starve to death. Hoping she's on the Rainbow Bridge with our other kitties. :rose: :heart:

I have a 16 year old now and understand completely. It's heart wrenching. Bless you...
  • Like 2

As if the large parts of my town that haven’t even been cleaned up from the tornadoes we had two and a half months ago is not enough to still be dealing with- the mass murder that occurred here barely more than 48 hours ago is just tearing me up. A whole lot of people are in shock, and I wish the news media would just go away now.

I used to live about three blocks away from the Oregon District, in Dayton. I’ve been there literally hundreds of times, and most recently a couple of weeks ago. It has been a fixture in the heart of the city for a very long time...the neighborhood just to the south of it has these large, very well-preserved historic homes that date back as much as 160-170 years.

And on East Fifth Street, the main thoroughfare in the Oregon District, with all the restaurants and bars and antique and boutique shops...the city crews worked on Sunday to scrub all the blood off of the sidewalks.

I love my city...I have always loved my city. But a lot of us are really hurting right now.

• Like 4

Maybe not so much sad as melancholy, but today we're moving my younger daughter to college. I'm sad and proud and anxious all at the same time.

Aww, daddy's little girl all grown up and off to college! :)

You should be proud of her! But it must be a scary prospect at the same time.

I hope she does well. :)

• Like 2

She's down a week early because she's rushing a sorority. When she told me she was going to "rush," I thought, hey, that's great, I wanna come see Rush, but it turns out it's the elitist "Greek" bullshit version.

More seriously, she's going to be studying embryology, which I had to look up to spell right, so I hope she studies hard!

• Like 3

Saw media release yesterday from the local police about a motorcycle traffic officer being involved in an accident. Karen and I commented, "OMG, could that have been John?" ( one of our BF's) .

An update confirmed it was him, and through another friend found out he's in a local ICU. We've reached out to his wife by phone, but at this point there's not much more to do than pray.

God, this sucks! :(

After 12 years of rep baseball, my son played his last game on the weekend. Got knocked out of the City Championships by a 3 run walk off in the last inning. I have been a coach / manager for years and just loved it. Harder on me then on him. He is off to University and the next stage of life.
  • Like 5