What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

I realize that I could leave this forum for a week or a month and no one would notice or care. I always get left out of TRF polls and most of the popularity threads. I still don't have a custom title. I guess I don't have to donate money to the forum.

:hug2:
  • Like 1

missing a friend who left me.

It's an awful feeling. Hope it's not permanent. If you're like me, you've got a small handful of cherished friends, and the absence of one leaves a very large space.

• Like 1

missing a friend who left me.

It's an awful feeling. Hope it's not permanent. If you're like me, you've got a small handful of cherished friends, and the absence of one leaves a very large space.

it's exactly like that. sigh.

and i'm sorry for your rough anniversary, and your other stuff too... Edited by Laurabw
  • Like 1

I had the realization today that I no longer have any close IRL friends. My 3 closest friends left my life forever within the last 2 years. I've tried to rebuild but I know the people I meet today will be gone again come May

Union, when you say "left your life", how do you mean ??

I had the realization today that I no longer have any close IRL friends. My 3 closest friends left my life forever within the last 2 years. I've tried to rebuild but I know the people I meet today will be gone again come May

One died, one moved to Vietnam, and another told me never to speak to them again (and understandably)

• Like 1

One died, one moved to Vietnam, and another told me never to speak to them again (and understandably)

I have only a few friends - they are close, and most are from childhood

I don't know if this rings true with you Union, but over time, I have come to realize that I have a pretty bad fear of losing people - it could be a friend, a girlfriend or a family member ..

And I have come to realize just how destructive that can be - maybe "destructive" is the wrong word - I think counterproductive might be better ..

Instead of rehashing all the losses and negativity, I'll give an example of something positive, and something that has come as a result of years of learning the hard way ..

As I said, most of the few friends that I have go back to when I was a kid ... but in the past year, I have found someone who I consider a great friend ..

Long story short, I think this has happened because I had no idea when meeting this person that a friendship would develop - so, I didn't have that old fear hanging over me .. This girl knows my sis, and they are friends, so she kind of knew the vibe of my family ...I was just myself - not that I didn't care, but, but I didn't care to try to be anything or say anything that I wouldn't say to my sis or my family ...

And now we're great friends ... and completely platonic .. It's odd, because I really have never had a female friend that had not been at some point a girlfriend ..

I guess the point I am trying to make is that the old adage of just being yourself is not only important, but essential .... I have my old childhood friends because they know me - and I am not inhibited or worried in the least around them .. There is no fear of losing them ...

Union, take that thought of "they'll be gone come May" and use it to your advantage -- go into a new friendship thinking that you have nothing to lose .. Don't feel tight or on guard ..

Again, this may not apply to you, but I think it helped me ...... A strange analogy is about people who drive intoxicated and when there is an accident, they are the ones who usually survive and don't get hurt - their muscles are not rigid and they are not tight going into the crash because they don't understand the severity of it ..... strange, but true ... and in an odd way, the same can be said for friendships ( ... not the intoxicated part, but ya know what I mean :LOL: )

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

I've been in situations where I didn't have contact with old friends for several years. Then one day out the blue we got back in contact, so I'd say hold the opportunity that you might reconnect open.

• Like 1

Just discovered, through YouTube comments, that Holger Czukay had passed away in Sept.

He's probably best-known as the bassist for Can, and for playing on a handful of Eno albums.

He was also a pioneer of electronic music, and influenced the work of Eno, Bowie, The Fall, Joy Division and many others.

He also left many odd and interesting solo albums behind.

Thank you Mr. Czukay. You sure made my ears happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4sIXxjvdsM

http://s3.amazonaws.com/factmag-images/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/HCzukay-616x385-301x182.jpg

I always get left out of TRF polls and most of the popularity threads. I still don't have a custom title.

Is that worth being sad over? I'm seldom in a poll thread, and long timers like PolarizeMe also don't have a title.

I'm usually out of that loop, too, which I'm ok with.

I realize that I could leave this forum for a week or a month and no one would notice or care. I always get left out of TRF polls and most of the popularity threads. I still don't have a custom title. I guess I don't have to donate money to the forum.

I always thought you had very intelligent and thoughtful posts. I'd miss you. Heck, I come and go all of the time. Sometimes I leave for over a year and when I come back most people don't even notice. I never get included in those polls either but stuff like that does not really matter. I just like to mess around and have some fun. We don't have to be "Rock Stars" on TRF, Rush are the rock stars.
  • Like 5

This morning, while Lovely Wife was having her hair done, I drove to our local Bob Evans for my free Veterans Day breakfast.

I sat up at the counter with all the hoary old vets and had fun chatting with them ... until they all declared in complete seriousness that those who knelt during our National Anthem ought to face a firing squad. A firing squad? Really? Then they launched into tirades against "all those fkking ragheads in our country."

My son-in-law is native Lebanese, having legally immigrated here 16 years ago from Beirut. That makes my darling grandchildren 50% "fkking raghead."

I couldn't finish my hash browns quickly enough at that point.

• Like 3

This morning, while Lovely Wife was having her hair done, I drove to our local Bob Evans for my free Veterans Day breakfast.

I sat up at the counter with all the hoary old vets and had fun chatting with them ... until they all declared in complete seriousness that those who knelt during our National Anthem ought to face a firing squad. A firing squad? Really? Then they launched into tirades against "all those fkking ragheads in our country."

My son-in-law is native Lebanese, having legally immigrated here 16 years ago from Beirut. That makes my darling grandchildren 50% "fkking raghead."

I'm sorry you didn't run into my dad, who is a veteran in his 80's and has always been a big human rights and freedom of speech advocate (along with loving to eat those Veteran's Day freebies!) :hug2: Hugs to you and your grandchildren. :heart:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 5

I'm sorry you didn't run into my dad, who is a veteran in his 80's and has always been a big human rights and freedom of speech advocate (along with loving to eat those Veteran's Day freebies!) :hug2: Hugs to you and your grandchildren. :heart:

:hug2:

• Like 1

This made me very sad, and it makes you wonder what happens in such a promising young life to turn them going in the opposite direction.

My neighbor doesn't get much work in the cold weather so he looks for ways to make money. This year, he and his friend are bidding on storage bins that are up for auction. Some of these are quite interesting. He just spent almost 45 minutes showing me the items from one of those storage bins and what happened in the life of a 23 year old young lady who is now in prison. A college graduate who worked at a bank. A member of the 4H Club and a youth minister in her church. At one point. she went from all of this to :whipgirl: and drugs. I kid you not.

My neighbor said Saturday night he and a few of my other neighbors went through boxes of s&m stuff - dildos, butt plugs (I don't even know what that is let alone what it would be used for, or why), whips, crotchless panties, chains, leather vests and more whips - laughing up a storm and wondering what they were going to do with all of it (my neighbor brought it all to the dump the next morning). She had a slew of receipts from pawn shops and those places that loan you money (I forget what you call them. Goose, you helped bail one of your coworkers out from under one of those places.). She stole almost $8,00 from the bank she worked at. She's now in federal prison.

What the hell happens that turns such a promising young lady? Her life is now ruined. Isn't this a sad story?

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1