New York, New York Periscope Thread - June 29, 2015

Lorraine

Some people were pissing and moaning about Geddy "yodeling" again, but the problem is, at least from the 227 section, Geddy was VERY high in the mix and he would sometimes drown out everybody else while singing a high note, which he NAILED the high parts of Headlong Flight and What You're Doing. He was having some trouble during the "bright antanne bristle with the energy" part of The Spirit Of Radio but for some reason sang the "oooooooffff SALESMEN" line perfectly.

Some people were pissing and moaning about Geddy "yodeling" again, but the problem is, at least from the 227 section, Geddy was VERY high in the mix and he would sometimes drown out everybody else while singing a high note, which he NAILED the high parts of Headlong Flight and What You're Doing. He was having some trouble during the "bright antanne bristle with the energy" part of The Spirit Of Radio but for some reason sang the "oooooooffff SALESMEN" line perfectly.

I was thinking that at the show he actually needs to yodel just to be heard on many of the songs...he sounded like he was in danger of being drowned out and I thought maybe he goes there just to be heard over what is a much fuller and louder and more guitar-oriented mix than what they did prior to S&A.

Also, I noticed that it took them a song to get the sound just right. For The Anarchist, I could barely hear the bass, it just sounded like a lot of indiscernable rumbles like the bass in most bands when it's a background instrument.

Then headlong flight happened and everything was all in order.

Edited by fraroc

The performance last night shattered the idea that the guys aren't having fun on stage. Alex hammed it up in typical Alex way (like in pretending to study Geddy's playing and then giving the "oh, that's how you do it"). All the guys laughed when they noticed the Canadian flappy arms thing behind Neil. And even Neil smiled a lot...for Neil, that is. They were either having a great time last night or pretending very well.
  • Like 1

The performance last night shattered the idea that the guys aren't having fun on stage. Alex hammed it up in typical Alex way (like in pretending to study Geddy's playing and then giving the "oh, that's how you do it"). All the guys laughed when they noticed the Canadian flappy arms thing behind Neil. And even Neil smiled a lot...for Neil, that is. They were either having a great time last night or pretending very well.

Neil not only waved, but blew kisses to the audience before running off.

• Like 1

And in 2112 Ged ran off to both sides of the stage and interacted with the crowd there. At least that what it looked like from my view in section 201.

And in 2112 Ged ran off to both sides of the stage and interacted with the crowd there. At least that what it looked like from my view in section 201.

Both Ged and Alex did that. Alex came over and played to a guy in a wheel chair, who was also getting some attention from Ray. They both took a lot of time interacting with the audience. It was fabulous.

Dunno Eagle. I scoped most of the Montreal show front/center, and no one said a word.

No one said anything when I was row 14 and on the aisle in Boston, but they were cracking down in front of Geddy at MSG...though anyone in the front row could use their phones/cameras as much as they wanted. It may have been for the other audience members, not the band.

I got to shake Ray Danienls' hand...he was quite gracious.

And I was up on the big screen twice in The Spirit of Radio. Man this was an awesome show. I don't know if anything will ever beat Tulsa and the surprise and excitement of that crowd...but this comes damn close.

No doubt, Led, that's because someone put the word out that LedRush from TRF was at the show. TRF members in good standing and high esteem get many special privileges. ;) ;) ;) :hug2:

• Like 2

I was in section 223. Nosebleed seats but they weren't awful. I was on Alex's side.

Great show as I had expected, and I was really surprised with the setlist in the first half. I found The Anarchist an odd choice for opening track, but interesting nonetheless. I was really satisfied with the setlist overall, esp for the fact they hit almost every album.

For the first set, I would've swapped Animate and Roll the Bones with Cut to the Chase (rare deep cut that's overlooked imo), and Dreamline, respectively. The appearances by Segel and Rudd were awesome as well.

Totally wasn't expecting Losing It, what a beautiful yet sad track. Excellent set, the sound was good overall, and I was floored when they started Jacob's Ladder, a personal favorite, as well as Xanadu. Excellent song choices.

I was in section 223. Nosebleed seats but they weren't awful. I was on Alex's side.

Great show as I had expected, and I was really surprised with the setlist in the first half. I found The Anarchist an odd choice for opening track, but interesting nonetheless. I was really satisfied with the setlist overall, esp for the fact they hit almost every album.

For the first set, I would've swapped Animate and Roll the Bones with Cut to the Chase (rare deep cut that's overlooked imo), and Dreamline, respectively. The appearances by Segel and Rudd were awesome as well.

Totally wasn't expecting Losing It, what a beautiful yet sad track. Excellent set, the sound was good overall, and I was floored when they started Jacob's Ladder, a personal favorite, as well as Xanadu. Excellent song choices.

When I heard the opening bass of Headlong Flight, I started losing [my sh]it because I knew we'd be getting Losing It. Most of the people around me hadn't checked the setlist, and few were actively avoiding spoilers, so I couldn't explain why my reaction was so much more exuberant than most others in the area. I was almost as happy when we got OLV, as I was still holding out hope for a modified Setlist C.

They do that at every show.

Used to be that Ged and Alex used to screw with each other on stage during the 2112 Overture, pretending to slap each other etc...

Used to be that Ged and Alex used to screw with each other on stage during the 2112 Overture, pretending to slap each other etc...

Yep they did.

Here is part of their response:

Unfortunately, all the shirts that Geddy wears are made personally for him and usually not for sale. Really sorry.

:boo hiss: :boo hiss: :boo hiss:

Wait a minute! What does "usually not for sale" mean? Does that mean if I offer $1,000 for the shirt, they'll send me one? :LOL:

Edited by Lorraine

Unfortunately, all the shirts that Geddy wears are made personally for him and usually not for sale. Really sorry.

Wait a minute! What does "usually not for sale" mean? Does that mean if I offer $1,000 for the shirt, they'll send me one? :LOL:

Does that mean they aren't trademarked? I'm going to sell some ARF40 shirts!

Eagle, you should have flown or driven to NYC instead of going to Ohio and Buffalo.

Oooo, just got an email from Backstage Club.

No chance. I don't like dealing with the traffic and all the mass of humanity in NYC.

Probably meant now and then he may wear one that's for sale? Who knows. Sounds like he was fishing for an offer. :LOL:

Someone will make some after the tour on Cafepress/ redbubble as they are probably not trademarked.

• Like 1

If you do, sell me one.

• Like 1

Eagle, you should have flown or driven to NYC instead of going to Ohio and Buffalo.

Oooo, just got an email from Backstage Club.

No chance. I don't like dealing with the traffic and all the mass of humanity in NYC.

No traffic in, no traffic out. It was much easier than dealing with either Newark or Boston (especially Boston).

• Like 2

Like others have mentioned, it was nice to see the band smile and interact, but I didn't notice the smiles until the second set.