Top Gear - The Last One

rushfanslo

Today was the airing of the last episode of (British) Top Gear one of the best shows that ever existed imho (maybe topped only by Monty Python's Flying Circus). Episode 8 of series 22 was a compilation of two films and hosted by May and Hammond. Watching it was a bittersweet experience. I really enjoyed the two movies (classic Top Gear) but at the same time struck by the mood created in the studio, which was empty and dull. I think that today the best program in last 20 years has ended.

To borrow some words from a familiar poet N. E. Peart

Sadder still to watch it die

Than never to have known it

For you, the blind who once could see

The bell tolls for thee...

Goodbye Top Gear!

Isn't Chris Evans taking over as the new presenter?

Yes but it won't be the same. The other guys did it for over 20 seasons.

Yeah they were huge here in the colonies, the American version has some charm but nothing will top Clarkson, Hammond and May.
  • Like 1

A lot of fans will be migrated to the to-be-named new program of theirs, including myself.

It was nice to get some closure with the series. Although Hammond and May were certainly not enthusiastic about their final goodbye.

• Like 1

A lot of fans will be migrated to the to-be-named new program of theirs, including myself.

It was nice to get some closure with the series. Although Hammond and May were certainly not enthusiastic about their final goodbye.

Can you blame them? The whole thing was ridiculous.

It wasn't that they were 'not enthusiastic' about it, it was more like, they'd hosted a long running show for around 12 years, and they were just, well, I don't know what they would've called it, but I'd've said devastated. I can't speak for James, but Richard Hammond looked close to tears.

And yes, once they get their new show going, I'm in there.

I just can't see Evans being controversial about lets say truck drivers...

I think that's the idea. They wanted someone bland who wouldn't cause any problems. Boring.

The final show airs in the U.S. on BBC America on 7/13 @ 21:00 (9pm) Eastern Time.

Pachyderm, missing audience, Hampster and Capt. Slow looking a little lost without the pompous gasbag. It has to be all three for the chemistry to work. The U.S. version is lackluster and while the Australian version is entertaining, nothing matches U.K. Top Gear. I hear Chris Evans has been named and Jodie Kidd is in consideration for one of the presenter slots, but the show is over. The boys were completely puerile, but very, very entertaining.

A lot of good years from Top Gear and I will really miss this show. I don't think I will ever see anything top what they did to that Toyota Hi-Lux. Remarkable.

:ebert: :notworthy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk

• Like 1

My sons were great fans of Top Gear but I'm afraid to me it just seemed like 3 middle-aged men acting like school boys.