Chris Squire has passed away.

ReRushed

Absolutely gutted about this, still can't take it in. :(

I've been a fan of Yes for over 10 years (not much compared to some people on here, I know) and was lucky enough to see Chris in action with them in 2004 during their 35th anniversary tour. He was a monster of a bass player and one of the world's best, no doubt about it.

I find the whole thing even more depressing considering we never got to see him and Jon Anderson perform together again after the split in 2008; I was hoping for one last major tour with the classic line-up. Still, I was pleased to learn that Jon said he and Chris had 'reconnected' again recently, which is good to hear. Nice to read Geddy's words too, although like someone else here mentioned, I'm shocked they never met.

I honestly can't believe he passed away so soon after being diagnosed with cancer, I was under the impression he was prepared for a long battle and was in good spirits and ready to face it. I guess the condition was indeed rare like they said; maybe he didn't have much chance of beating it. :(

RIP Chris Squire you absolute legend. Rock on in heaven.

This news gutted me. The high of a fabulous Rush concert last week and now this. :(

RIP Chris :rose: A true legend and my heart and thoughts go out to his family and friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHFox6wyXfw

• Like 1

I'm heartbroken that Chris is gone.

My son recorded this cover of "Tempus Fugit" in honor of Chris. I wanted to share it:

• Like 7

I'm heartbroken that Chris is gone.

My son recorded this cover of "Tempus Fugit" in honor of Chris. I wanted to share it:

OUTSTANDING!! :ebert:

• Like 2

Been away from social media for a few days and was shocked by the news.I knew he wasn't well but this was sudden.Unbeknown to me for the last week or so i have been giving Yes a real bash having just purchased the Yes doco on dvd(great but not much music)and giving their albums a spin.I think for the first time i sat through all of Tales for the first time.Sorry its still mostly crap.Chris was definitely an influence on Geddy with that thick clunking Rickenbacker bass sound.In fact during the solo to Red Barchetta i often am reminded of Chris's sound.Geddy has stated that he never met him but i would loved to have seen a magazine article(and cover!)in Bass Mag with them chewing the fat.RIP Chris.PS Now was geddy influenced by Jon Anderson?

Does Jon Anderson know what he is singing about?Sure he does.Try Olias of Sunwillow or whatever that nonsense was.And critics call our man Neil pretentious.

• Like 1

Does Jon Anderson know what he is singing about?Sure he does.Try Olias of Sunwillow or whatever that nonsense was.And critics call our man Neil pretentious.

In defense of Jon Anderson's gobbledygook lyrics, at least he admits the words are more about how they sound within the melody. For example, the majority of Sigur Rós lyrics are a made up language.

Although they can contribute to a song being great, lyrics are overrated. Melody is the key and Jon Anderson usually knocked his melodies out of the park.

• Like 5

In the Yes doco dvd it is discussed i think by Trevor Horne how Jon 's voice is an instrument and the lyrics are somewhat secondary.I think his best vocals are on the Going For The One lp(my fave).Chris's bass is a gas on Parallels.

In defense of Jon Anderson's gobbledygook lyrics, at least he admits the words are more about how they sound within the melody. For example, the majority of Sigur Rós lyrics are a made up language.

Although they can contribute to a song being great, lyrics are overrated. Melody is the key and Jon Anderson usually knocked his melodies out of the park.

yep. it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

I am bit late to the discussion but I did hear the news on the radio and I was really sad. I loved Roundabout when I first heard it and many others. Listening to Rhythm of Love right now and Chris's bass is steady as a rock. What a loss, especially since Yes didn't get inducted into the RRHOF last year :rose: :( RIP Chris