Some extremely sad news for Yes fans....

fraroc

According to Geoff Downes' twitter.....Chris Squire has passed away. None of the news articles are reporting it yet, so it remains unconfirmed. Chris Squire was recently diagnosed with leukemia, however he was diagnosed with the deadliest form of it a few months ago. Part of me wanted him to pull through and beat the odds, but considering the type of leukemia he had....I'm honestly not surprised of this horrible news.

RIP Chris Squire 1948-2015 :(

Terrible news :(

Even though unconfirmed, I guess Geoff Downes would be in the know.

So sad :rose:

The wikipedia page was updated to show his date of death....but it's strange, you'd think by now that at least the British media would have gotten a hold of this. I'd expect that the media over here in America would be delayed but it isn't even reported on any British outlets yet.

Official statement from Yes:

It’s with the heaviest of hearts and unbearable sadness that we must inform you of the passing of our dear friend and Yes co-founder, Chris Squire. Chris peacefully passed away last night in Phoenix Arizona, in the arms of his loving wife Scotty.

For the entirety of Yes’ existence, Chris was the band’s linchpin and, in so many ways, the glue that held it together over all these years. Because of his phenomenal bass-playing prowess, Chris influenced countless bassists around the world, including many of today’s well-known artists. Chris was also a fantastic songwriter, having written and co-written much of Yes’ most endearing music, as well as his solo album, Fish Out of Water.

Outside of Yes, Chris was a loving h usband to Scotty and father to Carmen, Chandrika, Camille, Cameron, and Xilan. With his gentle, easy-going nature, Chris was a great friend of many … including each of us. But he wasn’t merely our friend: he was also part of our family and we shall forever love and miss him.

• Like 5

Yes have never in my lifetime been a concern for the music media, so I guess his sad passing will largely be overlooked by the press.

But for us in the know, this is both sad and a reminder that we should appreciate the bands we have left from that era.

• Like 3

Devastating news!

One of our prog gods has departed ,but left us with some truly memorable highlights in a great career!

R.I.P Chris Squire,taken from us far too soon! :rose: :rose: :rose:

Since I posted in more detail in the "other" thread dealing with this subject I will just say f**k cancer here... :rose:
  • Like 3

Since I posted in more detail in the "other" thread dealing with this subject I will just say f**k cancer here... :rose:

Or like Neil says in his books, Stupid Cancer.

• Like 1

:(

Very sad to hear this. I'll be listening to much Yes today in remembrance. R.I.P. to one of the greatest musicians of all time.

• Like 1

From Wikipedia

"Acute erythroid leukemia (M6) (the one that Chris Squire had) has a relatively poor prognosis. A 2010 study of 124 patients found a median overall survival of 8 months.[10] A 2009 study on 91 patients found a median overall survival for erythroleukemia patients of 36 weeks, with no statistically significant difference to other AML patients. AEL patients did have a significantly shorter disease free survival period, a median of 32 weeks, but this effect was explained by other prognostic factors. That is, AEL is often associated with other risk factors, like monosomal karyotypes and a history of myelodysplastic syndrome.[11] Prognosis is worse in elderly patients, those with a history of myelodysplastic syndrome, and in patients who had previously received chemotherapy for the treatment of a different neoplasm."

It's unfortunate, but sadly I'm not really suprised that he passed away.