Allan Holdsworth Tales From the Vault Pledge Project, plus Holdsworth goes 8 string!

treeduck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I7NBoP27TQ

Holdsworth goes 8 string?

http://i.imgur.com/EqtfOQk.jpg

from Jeff Kiesel...

"My mind was blown yesterday!

I am sure most of you know who Allan Holdsworth is...

Yesterday he came by the shop to hang out for a bit and he kept picking up a 8 string Vader and checking it out. I did not think much of it until he says I really like how this feels and sounds and asked me if he could take one home and check it out. So I ask him kind of joking 6, 7 or 8 string (thinking he is only going to want a 6)... He says to me well I have plenty of 6 strings and if I am going to try something new let's go all the way and go with an 8 string... After I picked my jaw up off the floor I said not a problem...

I think it is amazing that he wants to try and expand his music and try 8 string...

Can you imagine what that will sound like, Allan playing an 8 string?????"

from Chris H (Carvin employee)...

"I think Holdsworth's words in response the the 6, 7, or 8 question was "if I'm going to do it I might as well go straight to an 8 instead of dicking around with a 7. I think it's time."

Or something along those lines. He actually took that one home and we have an 8 string being built to the specs he likes on his HH series guitars. Solid color as per usual but he told Jeff to surprise him with the color.

As soon as Allan said he wanted to borrow one Jeff told him that we had to get a picture because people would probably freak out and Allan agreed.

Edit:

I'm sure people aren't going to believe me since I work for the company but Allan actually asked to pick one up and play instead of Jeff handing it to him to try it out. Allan has this weird thing about not picking up and playing guitars while he's down here unless he's R&D'ing things so for him to ask to play something is out of the ordinary. This is why we were freaking out thinking the world was going to end! haha

This seriously blew my mind when it happened."

• Like 3

Awesome :guitar:

That's a coincidence. I was just listening to Gazeuse! today, one of the albums he did with Gong. He's a damn fine guitar player!!!

• Like 1

Awesome :guitar:

That's a coincidence. I was just listening to Gazeuse! today, one of the albums he did with Gong. He's a damn fine guitar player!!!

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

When I saw the still of his chubby chops I thought, 'my, allan needs to lay off the ale' then when the vid started, there is a pint, will ale type liquid in, at the back :LOL:

Thanks for the link, can't wait to hear what he does with an eight string, six was mindblowing.

When I saw the still of his chubby chops I thought, 'my, allan needs to lay off the ale' then when the vid started, there is a pint, will ale type liquid in, at the back :LOL:

Thanks for the link, can't wait to hear what he does with an eight string, six was mindblowing.

He does look a bit chubbier than normal. It could just be age though.

I think the plan is with this is put it together first with the pledges and then release it on CD after that. I'm gonna wait for the CD because downloads are just worthless to me except for sampling stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X07gDIfR1z0

from Jeff Kiesel...

Yesterday he came by the shop to hang out for a bit and he kept picking up a 8 string Vader and checking it out. I did not think much of it until he says I really like how this feels and sounds and asked me if he could take one home and check it out. So I ask him kind of joking 6, 7 or 8 string (thinking he is only going to want a 6)... He says to me well I have plenty of 6 strings and if I am going to try something new let's go all the way and go with an 8 string... After I picked my jaw up off the floor I said not a problem...

I think it is amazing that he wants to try and expand his music and try 8 string...

"I think Holdsworth's words in response the the 6, 7, or 8 question was "if I'm going to do it I might as well go straight to an 8 instead of dicking around with a 7. I think it's time."

Or something along those lines. He actually took that one home and we have an 8 string being built to the specs he likes on his HH series guitars. Solid color as per usual but he told Jeff to surprise him with the color.

As soon as Allan said he wanted to borrow one Jeff told him that we had to get a picture because people would probably freak out and Allan agreed.

Edit:

I'm sure people aren't going to believe me since I work for the company but Allan actually asked to pick one up and play instead of Jeff handing it to him to try it out. Allan has this weird thing about not picking up and playing guitars while he's down here unless he's R&D'ing things so for him to ask to play something is out of the ordinary. This is why we were freaking out thinking the world was going to end! haha

Ok gents...I have a request.

On many occasions I have tried, ok even forced myself, to enjoy this man's gift. I've bought UK twice, and still couldn't find something that resonated with me. I'm a guitar hack, but extremely proficient on bass. I just discovered that Mr. Holdsworth played lead on one of my favorite fusion records, after years of enjoying it. I couldn't believe it was him--Jean-Luc Ponty's Enigmatic Ocean. So in an effort to appreciate him more I'm asking you guys to give me 5 songs to give a serious spin. I know he has genius, however his music hasn't clicked yet for me.

Help a brotha out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X07gDIfR1z0

from Jeff Kiesel...

Edit:

On many occasions I have tried, ok even forced myself, to enjoy this man's gift. I've bought UK twice, and still couldn't find something that resonated with me. I'm a guitar hack, but extremely proficient on bass. I just discovered that Mr. Holdsworth played lead on one of my favorite fusion records, after years of enjoying it. I couldn't believe it was him--Jean-Luc Ponty's Enigmatic Ocean. So in an effort to appreciate him more I'm asking you guys to give me 5 songs to give a serious spin. I know he has genius, however his music hasn't clicked yet for me.

Help a brotha out!

Try this one for starters:

(I'll have to post it in another post too many media files)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LSPAZM9pRU

Ignore those pictures of keyboards in the video too, everything is played by Allan on Synthaxe except the drums and bass. The guitar solo is played by Allan on guitar.

Of course, Allan Holdsworth can play the guitar really like no one else. I was listening to this and thought "This is music, but it's almost unlistenable". It seems random, and nonsensical--but it is music, and we both know it's not random. This guy has such a keen grasp on the mathematics of music that he seems to be a human calculator playing guitar.

He can do things outside of the box, in fact, he's got his own box.

I've tried to enjoy his music, but I've come to the opinion that Holdsworth is really from another planet, and his music isn't to be enjoyed. It's to be gazed upon with marvel that a human can dream this stuff up. I've read the term you used years ago describing his playing as "an advanced harmonic language". That's one way of putting it. Mozart's compositions IMO had an obvious mathematical genius to it, but it was enjoyable, inspiring, and moving. This song didn't do that. Give me another one to check out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LSPAZM9pRU

Ignore those pictures of keyboards in the video too, everything is played by Allan on Synthaxe except the drums and bass. The guitar solo is played by Allan on guitar.

Of course, Allan Holdsworth can play the guitar really like no one else. I was listening to this and thought "This is music, but it's almost unlistenable". It seems random, and nonsensical--but it is music, and we both know it's not random. This guy has such a keen grasp on the mathematics of music that he seems to be a human calculator playing guitar.

He can do things outside of the box, in fact, he's got his own box.

I've tried to enjoy his music, but I've come to the opinion that Holdsworth is really from another planet, and his music isn't to be enjoyed. It's to be gazed upon with marvel that a human can dream this stuff up. I've read the term you used years ago describing his playing as "an advanced harmonic language". That's one way of putting it. Mozart's compositions IMO had an obvious mathematical genius to it, but it was enjoyable, inspiring, and moving. This song didn't do that. Give me another one to check out.

It depends what you're listening for and what you gravitate towards naturally.

Try this one:

from Jeff Kiesel...

Edit:

Help a brotha out!

Get where you are coming from. Find his earlier albums to be very very accessible. Try velvet darkness, very accessible very quick. Just don't tell Allan I recommended it ! :)

There is a vid Treeduck put on here a while back, of Allan holdsworth live pretty amazing stuff. Cant remember it now :codger:

• Like 1

from Jeff Kiesel...

Edit:

Help a brotha out!

Get where you are coming from. Find his earlier albums to be very very accessible. Try velvet darkness, very accessible very quick. Just don't tell Allan I recommended it ! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mSL0Zy2i3o

There is a vid Treeduck put on here a while back, of Allan holdsworth live pretty amazing stuff. Cant remember it now :codger:

Apparently Holdsworth hates Velvet Darkness!

Here's what he said in an interview a while ago:

You had Velvet Darkness pulled?

Holdsworth: It was no good. It was never any good. The way it was recorded, what happened to the musicians, the whole thing. It was a complete disaster. It was terrible at that time and that makes it terrible today. That album was never any good. And it's one thing to say I'll look back to that old I.O.U. album and go "Well, it sounds pretty old, and maybe I don't like it as much as the other stuff." But, the fact was that it was what it is then and it was okay then and everybody accepted that to be the fact at that time. That was not true of Velvet Darkness. That album was never fit to be released. Nobody got to hear anything they did. I never got a tape of anything that was recorded. And we were actually rehearsing in the studio and they were rolling the tape while we were rehearsing on the premise that we'd be able to keep recording and also check things out, but that never happened. At the end of that day, the guy said "Thanks, see ya!" That's why a lot of those tunes don't have any endings—they were rehearsals! That was a complete rip-off.

Are you getting any royalties from any

pressings?

No, none. I never saw anything from that. And that's the main reason they got it stopped. They didn't have a contract. They didn't have any publishing. They didn't have the rights to anything. This happens all the time! There are bootlegs all over the place—exactly the same thing.

What's surprising is that Velvet Darkness

was released on a major label.

Well, I think they bought the whole CTI catalog from someone. That album's been bootlegged three times, and each time I think "Great, that's the end of that one." But it showed up again—it keeps showing up! But now that it's owned by a big label, they had to produce all the paperwork and they couldn't. So, that's how we got 'em. They had no paperwork for anything to say they could do any of that stuff. But there's no way you can stop them. We had a bootleg video out in Japan. I had a contract that said this could not be used. I actually have a contract and it just came out! The video just came out! It's called Tokyo Dreams. What it was is we knew the cameras were going to be there, but we were supposed to be able to view it first. It was supposed to be completely up to us whether we wanted it used it or not. But of course that was not the truth. They lied and they put it out and it was done in a really sneaky way.

• Like 1