Did Rush have groupies?

Tom Sawyer

I visit the Rush Forum every few weeks and I'm sorry that I'm not one to post very often. But this is a topic which "hits-VERY-close-to-home" for me and I am wondering how I can add a reply which will have any significance to those who read it.

I have been attending Rush concerts since March of 1976 and have been fortunate enough to be right in front of the stage for countless Rush concerts between 1976 and 2004.

Back in the 70's I was a teenage beauty with long dark hair and a body to die for. And even when I dressed in a t-shirt and jeans, I looked SPECTACULAR. (Damn, those were the days!)

During that time I attended many other rock concerts too, so I have a basis for comparison.

While attending lots of concerts back then, my friends and I were handed alcohol directly from the musicians on stage, we were then approached by the road crew who had a limo waiting outside to take us to the hotel. (I never went, I don't go to concerts to get laid!!!)

~BACK TO RUSH CONCERTS~

In all my years of Rush concerts, I have NEVER been disrespected by any crew members. And I sincerely believe that the mis-guided women who have forced themselves upon any of the band or crew in the past have been tossed out on their butts.

Rush didn't need groupies. Back in the 70's they had hotel rooms, prostitutes and drugs provided to them by their promoter at Polygram. That's the promoter's job, if you didn't know. Hookers don't tell their stories like groupies do. Plus they never say "no". It's too risky to get involved with groupies. Rush were too smart for that...

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Aug 19 2005, 01:34 PM)
Rush didn't need groupies. Back in the 70's they had hotel rooms, prostitutes and drugs provided to them by their promoter at Polygram. That's the promoter's job, if you didn't know. Hookers don't tell their stories like groupies do. Plus they never say "no". It's too risky to get involved with groupies. Rush were too smart for that...

Wait a minute... too smart for groupies, but ok with hookers? Whatever.

LOL@THIS THREAD.

ummm maybe they just don't kiss and tell.

This is Rush we are talking about, not Motley Crue of the 80's who used to think it was cool to tell everyone about all the chicks they nailed every night. Maybe banging a different chick every night isn't something that Rush cared about, maybe so and they just didn't think the best thing to do was tell everyone about it. I think Rush is a band that likes their privacy, that's ok too, it's up to them ya know, what they eat for lunch or who they eat for dinner isn't anyones business really. I respect that.

But then again, I played in several bands, nothing huge like rush of course but yeah, we had groupies, and some people are groupies for the love of the music, not because they want to sleep with the band. We had certain girls(and guys!) that came to every show, hung out with us on days we didn't have shows, and no one in the band ever nailed them, they were just there, they liked the music and that's why they were about. So a "groupie" or some slutty chicks who hangs around bands to get laid isn't nessesarily the same thing. They all are groupies I guess but are groupies for different reasons. To be honest, I liked the groupies that were there cuz they loved the music, at times they were some great help to the band as far as helping us do some things to keep the band going and maybe help load equipment etc. I know bands like Rush have paid roadies to do that stuff but they still have tons of people who want to hang out just to be near the band they love.

Edited by Indica

QUOTE (Indica @ Aug 19 2005, 09:01 PM)
LOL@THIS THREAD.

This is Rush we are talking about, not Motley Crue of the 80's who used to think it was cool to tell everyone about all the chicks they nailed every night. Maybe banging a different chick every night isn't something that Rush cared about, maybe so and they just didn't think the best thing to do was tell everyone about it. I think Rush is a band that likes their privacy, that's ok too, it's up to them ya know, what they eat for lunch or who they eat for dinner isn't anyones business really. I respect that.

But then again, I played in several bands, nothing huge like rush of course but yeah, we had groupies, and some people are groupies for the love of the music, not because they want to sleep with the band. We had certain girls(and guys!) that came to every show, hung out with us on days we didn't have shows, and no one in the band ever nailed them, they were just there, they liked the music and that's why they were about. So a "groupie" or some slutty chicks who hangs around bands to get laid isn't nessesarily the same thing. They all are groupies I guess but are groupies for different reasons. To be honest, I liked the groupies that were there cuz they loved the music, at times they were some great help to the band as far as helping us do some things to keep the band going and maybe help load equipment etc. I know bands like Rush have paid roadies to do that stuff but they still have tons of people who want to hang out just to be near the band they love.

OK, Indy. And, I understand what you're saying. I suppose, according to what you've said, that I would be a "groupie." But, I find fault in your explanation. I do appreciate Rush for their music, and I would love to just hang around for the sake of hearing them play. (And, maybe glare at them to the point of making them uncomfortable.) But, wouldn't that classify me as a "fan?" The difference lies in the motivation. If I were to make a non-sexual effort to make my way past the security and the roadies for the opportunity to just hang out with them, that would make me a fan. On the other hand, if I were to make an effort to "blow" the security guard, the guy who just happens to be standing next to the security guard, whichever roadie "promises, I swear to God." to get me to the "promotions" guy, as the_masked_drummer says, to "blow" the guys in Rush, wouldn't that make me a "groupie?" There is a difference.

Edited by sullysue

I wish I had some sort of a reference or link, but it seems to me that I can remember Geddy saying on more than one occasion, that in the early days they witnessed other bands exemplifying how NOT to conduct themselves on tour.

The reference was to partying , drugs, and women.

When asked specificly about groupies, he answered " well, we have wives".

The negeative references, I believe were of Aerosmith, and Kiss.

I like these guys!

• Like 1

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 19 2005, 11:25 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Aug 19 2005, 09:01 PM)
LOL@THIS THREAD.

OK, Indy. And, I understand what you're saying. I suppose, according to what you've said, that I would be a "groupie." But, I find fault in your explanation. I do appreciate Rush for their music, and I would love to just hang around for the sake of hearing them play. (And, maybe glare at them to the point of making them uncomfortable.) But, wouldn't that classify me as a "fan?" The difference lies in the motivation. If I were to make a non-sexual effort to make my way past the security and the roadies for the opportunity to just hang out with them, that would make me a fan. On the other hand, if I were to make an effort to "blow" the security guard, the guy who just happens to be standing next to the security guard, whichever roadie "promises, I swear to God." to get me to the "promotions" guy, as the_masked_drummer says, to "blow" the guys in Rush, wouldn't that make me a "groupie?" There is a difference.

I really don't know to be honest. Maybe I'm wrong about what a groupie is, I thought a groupie could be someone whos just into the band and follows them around all the time. I didn't realize ya had to blow people to become a groupie, maybe to some people it does mean that. Maybe I just don't understand the meaning of the word.

I'm not sure what the original poster meant when they asked about did they have groupies, I guess they could have asked "did rush have fans that gave them blowjobs just to get backstage"...... Is that what they meant? Beats me.

I guess the difference to be between a fan and a groupie is, I am a fan of say, System of a Down, I listen to their music, I think they rock, I'm fanatical about sitting and listening to their cd, I'm a S.O.A.D fan. But I wouldn't want to follow them around, put up posters, hang out backstage, wear their shirts all the time, offer to help the band for free just to get to meet them. Etc etc.... That's a groupie, someone who follows them around wanting to hang out with them and stuff. confused13.gif Beats me

I'm not saying I'm right, but it's just what I always thought the word meant. Either way, I don't see rush as a band that hung out with different fans every night and got crazy and wild like bands like Motley Crue or Poison or some party band like that. I wasn't actually backstage to verify it but I never read stories in hit parade mag about it like you did a lot of other party bands lol. I suck at explaining things I think. confused13.gif

Edited by Indica

QUOTE (Indica @ Aug 20 2005, 01:59 AM)
I wasn't actually backstage to verify it but I never read stories in hit parade mag about it like you did a lot of other party bands lol. 

OK ,This has been nagging me since I mentioned the article I read many years ago in "Circus" or "Hit Parader" couldn't remember which one.It seems to me some folks here don't believe this was written. First off I think the main reason I still remember it was the first I heard anything like this concerning RUSH and I never heard anything more about a (groupie type fans.) after that. And I have boxes full of rock mags about RUSH. And now the most important fact ,I FOUND THE MAGAZINE. It's the April 1982 issue of HIT PARADER with Ozzy Osbourne on cover. The title of the article is called, RUSH BAND OF OUTSIDERS subtitled Canadian Rockers Find Room At The Top. It was written by Andy Secher . Now keep in mind this was 24 years ago? So I wasen't 100% exact word for word but I was damn close! old.gif I will now quote part of this article from 4/82 Hit Parader.

Page 4 to 7

It was almost midnight as the last mega-decibels of Rush's second encore, Working Man faded into the smoke-filled air of the packed arena. 20,000 entusiastic fans rose to their feet as bassist Geddy Lee,drummer Neil Peart and guitarist Alex Lifeson laid down their instruments,gave a final wave and quickly headed for the relative serenity of their backstage dressing rooms. In a small cubicle crowed with guitar cases and amps,Lifeson was winding down from the band's two hour show when he was suddenly approached by an attractive young lady who began lavishing her ample affections upon the surprised guitarist. Reacting with a look of shock and pleasure,he managed to struggle to his feet and respond to her advances with a weak smile and a hearty handshake."Come on,Alex" said one of the group's road crew,"ya gotta give the fans what they want. " "Not tonight man" Lifeson replied with a grin, I'm just too damn tired." The rest of article Geddy comes in and sits down drinking a Pepsi and discusses the sorry shape of rock and roll right now (1982)QUOTE Geddy "Theres an awful lot of garbage out there"

• Like 1

QUOTE (softfilter @ Aug 20 2005, 04:58 AM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Aug 20 2005, 01:59 AM)
I wasn't actually backstage to verify it but I never read stories in hit parade mag about it like you did a lot of other party bands lol. 

OK ,This has been nagging me since I mentioned the article I read many years ago in "Circus" or "Hit Parader" couldn't remember which one.It seems to me some folks here don't believe this was written. First off I think the main reason I still remember it was the first I heard anything like this concerning RUSH and I never heard anything more about a (groupie type fans.) after that. And I have boxes full of rock mags about RUSH. And now the most important fact ,I FOUND THE MAGAZINE. It's the April 1982 issue of HIT PARADER with Ozzy Osbourne on cover. The title of the article is called, RUSH BAND OF OUTSIDERS subtitled Canadian Rockers Find Room At The Top. It was written by Andy Secher . Now keep in mind this was 24 years ago? So I wasen't 100% exact word for word but I was damn close! old.gif I will now quote part of this article from 4/82 Hit Parader.

Page 4 to 7

It was almost midnight as the last mega-decibels of Rush's second encore, Working Man faded into the smoke-filled air of the packed arena. 20,000 entusiastic fans rose to their feet as bassist Geddy Lee,drummer Neil Peart and guitarist Alex Lifeson laid down their instruments,gave a final wave and quickly headed for the relative serenity of their backstage dressing rooms. In a small cubicle crowed with guitar cases and amps,Lifeson was winding down from the band's two hour show when he was suddenly approached by an attractive young lady who began lavishing her ample affections upon the surprised guitarist. Reacting with a look of shock and pleasure,he managed to struggle to his feet and respond to her advances with a weak smile and a hearty handshake."Come on,Alex" said one of the group's road crew,"ya gotta give the fans what they want. " "Not tonight man" Lifeson replied with a grin, I'm just too damn tired." The rest of article Geddy comes in and sits down drinking a Pepsi and discusses the sorry shape of rock and roll right now (1982)QUOTE Geddy "Theres an awful lot of garbage out there"

I still don't get it, maybe Alex was too tired every night, or maybe that was an excuse he used for not wanting to give the fans what they wanted, AKA banging a bunch of dirty skanks. That story is nothing like the wild stories of some party type bands that I've read. Again who knows, doesn't bother me either way as long as they rocked when I went to their shows. laugh.gif

Edited by Indica

I remember this article and issure vividly. Sechar did great road interviews. One of the things I loved about RUSH was how mature they were in their interviews. They didn't act like clowns and it was never about the women or the partying. I think Sechar had to go out of his way to find this one example. I'm not saying that the boys didn't act like boys on occassion, but like someone else said, they weren't Motley Crue, who would give you blow by blow accounts of the things they did and belittle the women they would do it with. I don't think you will ever dig up any "SHARK INCIDENTS" like Zep or wine bottle escapades like Crue, on Rush. At the same time, i feel the guys were still human and when a fine young woman throws themselves at you because they love what you do, it has to be an amazingly hard thing to do to turn them down. Now, I'm sure Neel would whip out his copy of some Ayn Rand drivel and bore the poor girl to death, but Alex and Geddy would probably party it up when they could. Lol.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Aug 20 2005, 02:32 AM)
to shine with a harsh uncomfortably brilliant light b : STAND OUT, OBTRUDE

this would be accurate. biggrin.gif

Not angrily staring. Just intensely. Very, very intensley.

Edited by sullysue

One has to imagine that girls did "follow" the band and try to get *close* to them. Simply a logical deduction. Some groupies just want to hang-out, some want to got the distance.

I honestly can't believe they (Rush) did ever "indulge" in any immoral activity that can take place with touring band though.

Here's my reasoning -

All three of them were raised very proper, all of them have maintained impecable fidelity records with their partners to anyones knowledge, and paparazzi love to discover this stuff and sell it to magazines. So one would have to assume "if" anything ever did happen, you'ld think it would have leaked out.

So sure it's possible, then we are talking about a very well kept secret(s).

I choose to believe not. But the reason I posted this was to see what others may have read/heard on the subject.

Well, maybe they are keeping secrets.

*mumbles something about this band he likes, Rush, maybe you've heard of them, and their 1987 album, on which the third track is called open secrets, then goes on to quote some lyrics from it which say:

The things that we're concealing

Will never let us grow

Time will do its healing

You've got to let it go

And then notices that no human being can mumble this long*

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 20 2005, 08:34 AM)

wink.gif

Just didn't want the boys to read that and be frightened. smile.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Aug 20 2005, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 20 2005, 08:34 AM)

wink.gif

Just didn't want the boys to read that and be frightened. smile.gif

...as if they wouldn't be already. wink.gif

Been a while, but I'll throw 2 cents in the pot. First of all, Hit Parader was the biggest bullshit fabrication in the world. Just my opinion.

BTW, the "Hookers" t-shirts are available in New Orleans. Got one when I was down in New Orleans in the spring ; "Hookers Bait Shop". If you google the afore-mentioned, you might find a mail order website. wink.gif

Edited by ChefEllwood

QUOTE (ChefEllwood @ Aug 20 2005, 05:23 PM)
Been a while, but I'll throw 2 cents in the pot. First of all, Hit Parader was the biggest bullshit fabrication in the world. Just my opinion.

yes.gif I agree that most of these mags are trash and I never claimed that this incident was valid, but I knew what I read! It fit the topic so it was presented as such. Although Alex's reaction to me seems legitimate (and yes I can see this could of been his response whenever these situations arose) RUSH mature and professional class act. NO DOUBT . (NOT A ROTH ERA VAN HALEN PARTY BAND 1982- EDITION) But did they do a typical Rock group stuff drinking and what have you ? I think yes.gif to a certain degree . A hell of alot less then most of there counterparts because they always understood the importance of the music and how much time and effort is needed to perform it RIGHT! And they were smart enough to know even in there younger years you couldn't last if your'e f*cked up and partying every night. I still think they probably indulged a little very discretely. But who cares if they did? I'm a fan of there music not my concern what they may or might not of done off stage. I believe everyone here feels the same way. (Interesting topic ,different !) smile.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 18 2005, 08:15 AM)
My guess is they did have groupies, but they were all astro-physics and philosophy students who wanted to discuss the meaning of life with Neil, and discuss their theory that By-Tor and Necromancer were both allegorical representations of the conflicts in Vietnam and Cambodia.

And as for 2112.............

Don't know if they had groupies or not. But look at the photo madra sneachta has on his posts. Those guys just look like all american (canadian) boys to me. cool.gif cool.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Aug 22 2005, 03:41 PM)
You know what I miss, Creem Magazine. I loved the funny captions they put under the pictures.

Actually, I think there still around. A year ago? maybe, I believe stumbled across a issue at magazine rack Walgreens drug store . Had a article on the all time greatest live rock acts. (Of course had to see if our RUSH damn well better made the list.) They did, can't remember were on it top 15 I think.

What makes me believe this was Creem remember the dumb ass anti RUSH dig that Creem was infamous for. Quote " Look at the pretty lights not the band"

Rolling Stone would go out of there way to ignore RUSH.

Creem would go out of there way to bash RUSH!

Your'e right always liked those little funny captions (Flock Of Seagulls,Van Halen)

EXCEPT when they were ripping RUSH mad.gif

BOY HOWDY ! laugh.gif

Edited by softfilter

QUOTE (softfilter @ Aug 23 2005, 02:07 AM)
QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Aug 22 2005, 03:41 PM)
You know what I miss, Creem Magazine. I loved the funny captions they put under the pictures.

Actually, I think there still around. A year ago? maybe, I believe stumbled across a issue at magazine rack Walgreens drug store . Had a article on the all time greatest live rock acts. (Of course had to see if our RUSH damn well better made the list.) They did, can't remember were on it top 15 I think.

What makes me believe this was Creem remember the dumb ass anti RUSH dig that Creem was infamous for. Quote " Look at the pretty lights not the band"

Rolling Stone would go out of there way to ignore RUSH.

Creem would go out of there way to bash RUSH!

Your'e right always liked those little funny captions (Flock Of Seagulls,Van Halen)

EXCEPT when they were ripping RUSH mad.gif

BOY HOWDY ! laugh.gif

Actually they did ceased publishing (can't remember when) but I did surf around and apparently it is being brought back (or already been brought back)

http://www.creemmagazine.com/index.html