STRYPER new album "Fallen" out October 16, cover art revealed

treeduck

I certainly hope so Tombstone...they'll at least make you bang your head.

I'm not trying to be difficult, or dismissive. I gotta be honest, I need a suggestion to start my Stryper journey. Gimme the 5 essential songs to start, and I'll give you my opinion.

Try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRlsI3iIPdA

Vocals are ok, not my thing. Chorus has unexpected tempo shifts. Guitar work is the most interesting component of the song. Is that the singer playing the leads or that Oz character, or both? Drumming seems a bit schloppy, like I wonder if he's in time during some moments. Once is enough for this song. Gimme another.

They both do.

Here they are live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xlp-aOYutM

I like this one much better...I'll bet the Devil hates it.
  • Like 2

I'm not trying to be difficult, or dismissive. I gotta be honest, I need a suggestion to start my Stryper journey. Gimme the 5 essential songs to start, and I'll give you my opinion.

Try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRlsI3iIPdA

Vocals are ok, not my thing. Chorus has unexpected tempo shifts. Guitar work is the most interesting component of the song. Is that the singer playing the leads or that Oz character, or both? Drumming seems a bit schloppy, like I wonder if he's in time during some moments. Once is enough for this song. Gimme another.

They both do.

Here they are live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xlp-aOYutM

I like this one much better...I'll bet the Devil hates it.

And Goodhell!

• Like 1

Obviously the guitarists are the talents in the band. The drummer is basically playing the same thing

This is the second best song I've heard thus far. Is the drummer related to the singer? How did they pick this dude? Great chorus. Love the dual lead stuff. Excellent vibrato techniques for both slingers

Obviously the guitarists are the talents in the band. The drummer is basically playing the same thing

This is the second best song I've heard thus far. Is the drummer related to the singer? How did they pick this dude? Great chorus. Love the dual lead stuff. Excellent vibrato techniques for both slingers

The drummer is Mike's brother Robert.

• Like 1

Always good to know people. Underwhelming talent playing with really talented guitarists. Searching for unusual elements in their styles...what do you pick up Duck?

Witout a doubt a slamming song (for Stryper that is). Guitarists are playing some great leads. Both seem equally talented, and into twin guitar attack...which is not easy to coordinate. This I know from playing with two amazing talents meself
  • Like 1

Always good to know people. Underwhelming talent playing with really talented guitarists. Searching for unusual elements in their styles...what do you pick up Duck?

Well firstly back in the day when I first bought Soldiers Under Command in 1985 almost 30 years ago, I assumed that that Michael Sweet was merely the rhythm and harmony guitar guy I didn't realise he did about 50% of all the guitars, rhythm, harmony AND lead. The penny dropped not long after though. Anyway I was blown away by these guys' guitar playing and the normal Christian rock band eye roll just could not be mustered in this bands case. One thing I noticed was that extreme Floyd Rose whammy bar thing they did where it trills, I don't think anyone ever did that before. George Lynch did something similar but I think that was a combination of finger vibrato and whammy or just finger vibrato.

• Like 3

Well firstly back in the day when I first bought Soldiers Under Command in 1985 almost 30 years ago, I assumed that that Michael Sweet was merely the rhythm and harmony guitar guy I didn't realise he did about 50% of all the guitars, rhythm, harmony AND lead. The penny dropped not long after though. Anyway I was blown away by these guys' guitar playing and the normal Christian rock band eye roll just could not be mustered in this bands case. One thing I noticed was that extreme Floyd Rose whammy bar thing they did where it trills, I don't think anyone ever did that before. George Lynch did something similar but I think that was a combination of finger vibrato and whammy or just finger vibrato.

The guitarists are playing well within themselves while locked in to the other.

In general Christian music does zero for me. There are a couple artists that have made GREAT albums.

The albums are Jars of Clay--the debut. Wow. Now that is a theological statement with music. Awesome.

And this one, well it blows my mind that I'm admitting this, DC Talk Jesus Freak. Both are well produced, conceptually solid. Excellent songs. I listened to DC Talk because a friend kept telling me "ya gotta listen to this". I did and he was right. A great album.

I did see Phil Keaggy once.

• Like 3

Phil still tours and records. I had the privilege of promoting two shows of his here in New Jersey a few years back now. He had some health issues, but is healthy now. A super nice guy, very talented and very humble.
  • Like 1

Phil still tours and records. I had the privilege of promoting two shows of his here in New Jersey a few years back now. He had some health issues, but is healthy now. A super nice guy, very talented and very humble.

So you're secretly the Bill Graham of TRF?

• Like 2

In general Christian music does zero for me. There are a couple artists that have made GREAT albums.

The albums are Jars of Clay--the debut. Wow. Now that is a theological statement with music. Awesome.

And this one, well it blows my mind that I'm admitting this, DC Talk Jesus Freak. Both are well produced, conceptually solid. Excellent songs. I listened to DC Talk because a friend kept telling me "ya gotta listen to this". I did and he was right. A great album.

Loved the Jars of Clay debut (at least I think it was the debut). I believe they worked with Adrian Belew. Was that the one with Liquid and Flood?

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 3

Loved the Jars of Clay debut (at least I think it was the debut). I believe they worked with Adrian Belew. Was that the one with Liquid and Flood?

That's the one. Not a bad groove, or boring groove on the record. Interestingly enough, the lyrics are fantastic--searching, and questioning their faith. On top of the music I really respect that honest approach.

And yes Adrian Belew of King Crimson produced the songs Flood and Liquid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiE2NJV7oPU&list=PLgoVG8DGxlL6jwAvx8AoIY5cvvtoIKfAR&index=8

Here's Liquid:

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 3

God

To Hell With the Devil

Surrender

Loud n Clear

More Than a Man

• Like 1

That's the one. Not a bad groove, or boring groove on the record. Interestingly enough, the lyrics are fantastic--searching, and questioning their faith. On top of the music I really respect that honest approach.

And yes Adrian Belew of King Crimson produced the songs Flood and Liquid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiE2NJV7oPU&list=PLgoVG8DGxlL6jwAvx8AoIY5cvvtoIKfAR&index=8

Here's Liquid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJFBu1Kr6HM&index=1&list=PLgoVG8DGxlL6jwAvx8AoIY5cvvtoIKfAR

Jars of Clay rules.