Favorite member of Rush ?

Tuesday's Gone

Favorite member of Rush ?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your favorite musician in Rush ?

• Geddy Lee
    • Alex Lifeson
    • Neil Peart
    • Too hard to choose
  2. 2. Who do you prefer, personality-wise ?

• Geddy Lee
    • Alex Lifeson
    • Neil Peart
    • Too hard to choose
  3. 3. Who do you like the least, personality-wise ?

• Geddy Lee
    • Alex Lifeson
    • Neil Peart
    • Too hard to choose

geddy's my favorite musician. his solo albums in the 80s, like HYF, really show that he could stand on his own without the band. okay, bad joke

young alex especially reminds me of one of the various burnouts I've hung out with. always a good time. and alex still smokes, jokes, etc.

I don't have anything against neil's personality or anything, but I'd rather have him as a college professor (anything but poli sci) than actually talk to the guy. and that horrible and unusual disease he's afflicted with, the one where he's an extreme introvert unless he's talking to another famous musician or someone who has never heard of his band, I just don't wanna make it worse, because I'm a good, true rush fan. :)

TrueRushFan™

Is it coincidental that the first letters to each of those words is the same as The Rush Forum? I think not. :LOL:

What about the initials?

Like GFY?

:P

I got your back, EM.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

geddy's my favorite musician. his solo albums in the 80s, like HYF, really show that he could stand on his own without the band. okay, bad joke

young alex especially reminds me of one of the various burnouts I've hung out with. always a good time. and alex still smokes, jokes, etc.

I don't have anything against neil's personality or anything, but I'd rather have him as a college professor (anything but poli sci) than actually talk to the guy. and that horrible and unusual disease he's afflicted with, the one where he's an extreme introvert unless he's talking to another famous musician or someone who has never heard of his band, I just don't wanna make it worse, because I'm a good, true rush fan. :)

TrueRushFan™

Is it coincidental that the first letters to each of those words is the same as The Rush Forum? I think not. :LOL:

:LOL: I didn't even notice that! You're right!! :LOL:

• Like 1

The Neil hate on this board is strong.........and I love it.

If we are talking musically he is still my favorite member though (personality and douchebaggery aside)

Geddy comes across as an awesome laid back guy in interviews but I think he might be different if you approached him somewhere.

1. Neil

2. Geddy

3. Neil

• Like 2

I don't know why Neil has to be so shitty to people who like him.

I guess to him the world is sharply divided into long awaited friends to be embraced warmly and strangers to be ignored (his appreciative fans would fall into the latter category).

Sure, there are no doubt lots of loony fans out there that they've been bothered by over the years, but the typical fan - especially in the very controlled and safe environment of a meet and greet or autograph signing - isn't expecting to be seen as a "long awaited friend"; they just want to show their appreciation, maybe get a handshake, photo or autograph. Alex and Geddy seem to have managed to survive the ordeal for 40 some years.

Love his drumming and writing and he's probably a great guy to those who know him but his attitude towards the fans leaves much to be desired.

Edited by rftag

I voted for Neil as the one whose personality I like the least. But I have absolutely no problem with him not wanting to do meet and greets and his general uncomfortableness with people he doesn't know that want to meet him,

What I do have a problem with is his uncharitable descriptions of people he's met on the road and don't meet his standards of approval, and his recent idiotic statements in the RS interview, which are inconsistent with anyone who fancies themselves an intellectual, as Neil does.

• Like 3

Geddy Lee for Musician and personality.

And Neil least fav personality wise. I just........he's withdrawn i know......but he comes across as SO sour. i dunno. Never met the guy.

Mick

• Like 1

Neil's my favorite musician probably because I'm a drummer, and he's influenced me a lot

Geddy seems like a great guy to just sit and have a few glasses of wine with, so him..

Tough to say, really, because I've seen good and bad for all of them...I don't know them personally, but Neil seems to be portrayed like a reclusive prick...but I don't know him, and his friends seem to like him...

Two pages in and no John Rutsey yet?

The poor guy was forced to live in Neil's shadow until the day he died, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was a little bitter.

I'd like to go hiking or something with Neil and discuss nature, literature or music. Of course, I'd have to let him know that, like him, I am just a normal human being and he has no reason to be so uptight around me, I'm no better than he is. After all, like everyone, I put my pants on one leg at a time.
  • Like 1

Neil will always be my hero from a musicianship/influence standpoint. I'm first and foremost a drummer, and he will always be at the top of my list.

But if I were to meet a member of rush I'd wanna meet Alex. I'd be so nervous already, I'd probably feel more at ease with his gentle modest persona whereas geddy and Neil seem more reserved.

especially with Neil's guarded anti-fandom stance.

• Like 1

http://www.erotomania.org/full/Aimee%20Mann/Aimee%20Mann_14.jpg
  • Like 1

1.) Geddy - amazing bass player, and his ability to sing, play bass, and keyboards at the same time! :notworthy:

2.) Love Alex's sense of humor.

3.) Geddy. I think he can be anal at times. I would like the challenge of seeing if I could get along with Neil.

Edited by ILSnwdog

I guess to him the world is sharply divided into long awaited friends to be embraced warmly and strangers to be ignored (his appreciative fans would fall into the latter category).

Sure, there are no doubt lots of loony fans out there that they've been bothered by over the years, but the typical fan - especially in the very controlled and safe environment of a meet and greet or autograph signing - isn't expecting to be seen as a "long awaited friend"; they just want to show their appreciation, maybe get a handshake, photo or autograph. Alex and Geddy seem to have managed to survive the ordeal for 40 some years.

Love his drumming and writing and he's probably a great guy to those who know him but his attitude towards the fans leaves much to be desired.

I love how people love to dis him because of how they think he really is, but honestly none of us know what goes on in his head. Nor do we know everything that has happened to him with fans. There are a lot of creepy people out there who call themselves fans (I've seen some of them on Facebook) who follow him around like stalkers. If I were him I'd be creeped out by people who claim to be fans but just want something from him. I'm sure not everyone is as nice as we would be if we met him. Well...most of us. :LOL:

• Like 3

I picked Geddy as my favorite musician because I feel what he does to compose as well as blend with lyrics makes Rush what it is. He also seems like a really genuine, kind human. Thirty years ago Neil and I could have split a bag of weed and a bottle of scotch and discussed anything and had a great night. Now, I'd probably smack the taste out of his mouth in five minutes.

I love how people love to dis him because of how they think he really is, but honestly none of us know what goes on in his head. Nor do we know everything that has happened to him with fans. There are a lot of creepy people out there who call themselves fans (I've seen some of them on Facebook) who follow him around like stalkers. If I were him I'd be creeped out by people who claim to be fans but just want something from him. I'm sure not everyone is as nice as we would be if we met him. Well...most of us. :LOL:

:goodone:

This is the ugly side of rock fans, especially Rush fans. Obsessive behavior and a self-righteous, delusional belief that they actually KNOW the guys personally, that they know all about who they are, what they're like at home or out in public, and that they are part of the guys' lives.

UGLY.

• Like 4

Geddy, too hard to choose,too hard to choose.

Geddy is my favourite musician because I love his bass playing and his superhuman multi-tasking ability. As for personality, I have never met any of them and can only judge them by what persona they choose to display publicly which may be very different from how they interact with their friends and families.

• Like 1

Definitely some creepy people out there.

I remember the first time I read that people actually slept outside of the gates of Bob Dylan's house in California. I couldn't believe it...just seemed do strange and irrational.

I love Dylan and all, but would never have even considered such a thing...that is way past over the top.

Stan Lynch (formally of The Heartbreakers) said people would try to meet him by waiting in hotels on tour stops, etcetera. They'd have this delusion that they were long lost friends or something.

I think Neil's case is similar to that.

People have connected so personally with his lyrics that they think they've connected with him personally.

If you've ever seen the movie, "Almost Famous", you kind of get the picture of what the reality (most likely) is for most famous people when it comes to their perspective of the "relationship" with the "adoring" fan.

I imagine that what started out as flattering turns inconvenient rather quickly.

Add Neil's admitted shyness and you have a recipe for a legitimate cause of fear and even resentment towards overly zealous fans.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 2

I'd like to go hiking or something with Neil and discuss nature, literature or music. Of course, I'd have to let him know that, like him, I am just a normal human being and he has no reason to be so uptight around me, I'm no better than he is. After all, like everyone, I put my pants on one leg at a time.

At South Mountain next Saturday?

• Like 1

Some of the Porcupine Tree fans are creepy as hell. They do believe they are "long-awaited" friends and speak for Wilson and the band all the time. Even when they are wrong, which is most of the time, it doesn't permeate their deluded minds that they're just fanbois and groupies.

As for Rush, I like their musical talents equally and because of his ante-Rand Paul stance Peart's my favourite.