Pickups In Alex's R40 Black Stratocaster?

Symmetre

Interesting to see Lerxst playing a black Stratocaster for a song or two in Toronto last night. You can see the same guitar in the photo below from NP's site.

Any idea what pickups are in the middle and bridge positions? Very nice sounding guitar.

Show was awesome, by the way. Looking forward to livingit all again on Friday night.

Cheers

http://www.neilpeart.net/news/june_2015/r40_bp4.jpg

Edited by Symmetre
  • Like 1

I don't know what pickups Al is using, but that is a very cool photo :)

Next up....Fender Custom Shop Alex Lifeson Stratocaster.

It may be an exposed/coverless one of these or something like it:

http://www.zexcoil.c...ylePickups.html

Never heard of these. Maybe Freddy can chime in.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 2

The Zexcoils do look similar, don't they?

I have stock Fender N3 Noisless pickups on my American Deluxe Strat, which sound nice, but they're still a bit thinner than I would like. At Wednesday's show Alex's black Strat sounded almost Hentor-like ... not quite as lush as the L-500 hummer he had on that guitar, but much closer than what I'm getting out of my current setup. And I like that it seems to fit the body cavity as-is, without requiring a routing job.

I have seats for tonights show as well, so I will get up to the stage as early as possible and see if I can get Scott Appleton's attention before security gives me the heave-ho. Wish me luck!

They are sold as low noise. That'd do it! Six super mini coils. Great concept.

Having been to a show he only played this guitar on one song (no need to spoil which, but he's played a Tele on it on previous tours ;) ).

It may be an exposed/coverless one of these or something like it:

http://www.zexcoil.c...ylePickups.html

Never heard of these. Maybe Freddy can chime in.

Definately. Good eye.

http://www.premierguitar.com/ext/resources/images/content/2013_12/LNU/Dec13_LNU_Zexcoil_WEB.jpg

Ah ha! Definitely looks like the pickup in the photo. Talk about a good eye - thanks, CygnusX-1Bk2 and hunter. On the website they're around a hundred bucks, and the samples sound pretty good. I might just order one and give it a try in my Strat. If it doesn't work out I can always flog it on eBay.

The sounds Alex coaxed out of it in his black Strat during the first Toronto show (I won't say which song either, enough spoilers as it is) werejust beautiful. I know it isn't just the pickup, but ... well you know.

Thanks, everyone.

Edited by Symmetre

I would tend to agree about it looking like an EMG, or some active pickup that has a pole-less black cover (usually they are EMG). He's used them in the past.
  • Like 1

I was at the Wednesday show in Toronto too and that Strat and pickup setup caught my eye too. My theory on the middle pickup is it comes from his Signature Guitar Company days, so it could be an Evans or an Active Fernandez as those Sigs were equipped with those in the early era then switched to Seymour Duncan towards the end of the companies short lifespan. My Signature Odyssey is equipped with the latter. Either way this pickup would have the Signature logo on it which makes me happy that he still looks back fondly enough to keep a piece of it with him. Last tour, when they played Time Stand Still I recall the guitar he used was also equipped with a black single coil "Signature Guitar Co" pickup so he could recapture that clean yet dirty tone. Cheers! Adam
  • Like 1

Well, it really doesn't matter what the other two pickups are...I haven't seen that switch out of the bridge position!

You guys called it. The bridge pickup is a Zexcoil Juicy Bucker. He's got a white cover on it since that rehearsal picture was taken. The middle pickup is an Evans Eliminator (as Adam says above, probably a holdover from the old Signature days). I don't know what the neck pickup is. It looks like a pretty standard Strat pickup.

Anyway, part of the mystery solved. I can't tell you how honored we are to be even a small part of the R40 tour and Rush history!

Scott

• Like 4

Well, it really doesn't matter what the other two pickups are...I haven't seen that switch out of the bridge position!

You guys called it. The bridge pickup is a Zexcoil Juicy Bucker. He's got a white cover on it since that rehearsal picture was taken. The middle pickup is an Evans Eliminator (as Adam says above, probably a holdover from the old Signature days). I don't know what the neck pickup is. It looks like a pretty standard Strat pickup.

Anyway, part of the mystery solved. I can't tell you how honored we are to be even a small part of the R40 tour and Rush history!

Scott

Welcome to TRF!

• Like 1

Scott

Thank you Scott!

• Like 1